Kentucky Derby | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Sports' started by joe sackey, Apr 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Let's see if he can go all the way and win the Triple Crown, I do have my concerns about that...

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    That would be something.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Joe...You thinking the distance in the Belmont, the true graveyard of champions?
    T

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Well you know they will bring in fresh legs to try and take him down. :(

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    A couple things happened in the Derby which have me concerned.

Firstly, the real speed in the race (Materiality) got eliminated right at the start as he was squeezed right out of contention. The net result was the time (2:03) was one of the slowest Derby times in recent memory, this on a fast track. This raises a question about AP's level of greatness, and IMO he didn't look like the "freak of nature" his owner has been saying he thinks he is.

Secondly, the WAY he won has me even more concerned. I honestly thought he would absolutely blow this field away, but in reality from the quarter pole home, Victor was not just riding him, he was race-riding him fairly hard, and it took him till the sixteenth pole to look like he was going to get the job done and win. This means perhaps he is not a push-button horse like Secretariat, Slew & Affirmed were, and he doesn't have what we call "gears" where he can pull away from the field with an explosive burst of speed when the question is asked. Anyone noting will recall his closing quarter in the Arkansas Derby was pretty slow too, even though he distanced that field, underscoring my aforementioned notion. It seems his early races were impressive because he was against lesser opposition. So I'm thinking we have a very good horse, but not a great horse.

I think the distance in the Belmont will be no problem, its turn-of-foot that's got me concerned, so it remains to be seen whether he will win the shorter-distance Preakness which requires tactical speed. To win the Preakness you need 3 things: speed, speed & more speed, and a horse with tactical speed that has gears and will use them on command, wins the Preakness easily. I'm not sure AP will get the job done. Regarding gears, watch the 2002 Kentucky Derby and see what War Emblem does when Victor asks him for speed at the quarter pole, I was looking for the same from AP when it mattered most.

Let's not forget also, this horse showed us at the end of his 2-year-old season that he could have soundness issues. The horses that swept the Triple Crown never had any soundness issues that interrupted their TC careers, and those that failed at the Belmont often did so precisely because of soundness issues. That's yet another concern, perhaps the most important one.

I'm still high on American Pharaoh, but after Saturday, he looks like a normal Derby winner to me, not a Triple Crown winner.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Joe , it seems the whole rest of the field had no gears left. I thought the stretch run the rear pack did not pass each other at all...Usually you have a couple horses out of the rear pack. None .

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Come-from-behind horses need a fast early pace to run at, once the hot pace collapses.

As I said before the race, pace makes race.

8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Got it..")

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what happened to Carpe Diem? also what does anyone know about the WinStar stables?

my 2nd consulting gig out of college in 1996 was Excel Communications. I use to get to work same time as Kenny Trout. He had the 1st parking space in the garage usually in his Bentley. I parked outside about 100 yards away. Shared elevator several times. my "customer" in Rep Services was Kenny's brother.

10. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Very cool

I was pulling for Carpe Diem just because the Trouts are local to me, but was sad to see him not do well. It sounds like he was supposed to do well too.

I normally make bets for bragging rights with my mom because she loves the Derby, but she did better than me this year. I should listen to Joe for next year

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Uh-oh! Pressure.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Kenny has built Winstar into a state-of-the-art breeding facility: WinStar Farm - Thoroughbred Stallions - Versailles, KY

Bear in mind they have already won the Kentucky Derby (2010 Super Saver).

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Check it out, Johnny V (awesome gate-rider) gave him a great start, I think the pace was too slow, 47 secs @ the half, it went downhill from there, he's number 2 in this full-race sequence 2015 Kentucky Derby Race Sequence | Features | BloodHorse.com

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Preakness looks to be a Derby rematch: American Pharoah vs Firing Line vs Dortmund!

15. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    He can win from the 1-hole if he has what it takes.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Any idea how rain might affect American Pharoah

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Never mind, horse answered the question for me. Dare I say, that looked easy?

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Today's race was The Perfect Storm (no pun intended), good early pace, small field, Victor riding perfectly, easy win. My post-Derby concerns were all answered, I saw what I needed to see, I'm on-board with this guy, I say: TRIPLE! The first in 37 years.

22. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Great race. My triple crown wager is still alive!!

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looked like he could easily go the extra distance in the Belmont....T

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California