Kentucky Derby | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Sports' started by joe sackey, Apr 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #176 Island Time, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Congratulations Justify. You really are great.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Sounds like sour grapes to me...

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #180 joe sackey, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Sour grapes coming from jockey John Velasquez and owner Mike Repole, both of whom know that what happened along the backstretch is perfectly legal in horse racing, and is just as likely to happen in a claiming race on a Wednesday night at the Fairgrounds! That's why they used to have coupled entries from the same stable so people could know that those tactics may be in play.

More to the point, what was jockey Luis Saez on Bravazo doing down on the rail? Any rider worth their salt knows that that's an obvious lock-in position! Thats exactly how Steve Cauthen won the Triple Crown on Affirmed, he left just not enough room at the rail to allow Jorge Velasquez on Alydar to try to get through with risking being locked-in, causing the latter to have to take back and go around, spending what he had left in the tank. They call that race-riding.

The real story here is Mike Smith's brilliance as a jockey sending Justify out of the gate in perhaps the best start seen in a Belmont, controlling the pace by slowing it down to his advantage (2nd quarter was considerably slower than the first) and then waiting & waiting before asking Justify to drop a gear @ the eight pole to see off any challengers, copy-book race riding, wow. That race, his Breeders Cup win on Skipaway in '96, and Derby on Giacomo in '05, show Mike is simply one of the best jockeys in the world, if not the best.

Bottom line, turning for home, every horse in that race had a good chance, and we saw what happened.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll say - the horse looked like it was shot out of a cannon! I noted that the first quarter was fast but that the second quarter was not, and I thought to myself that Mike knew exactly what he was doing.

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    He's big, he's beautiful, he's bad. I mean he's good, really good! His nickname is WOW monikered after his real name War of Will. The way he won the Risen Star was breathtaking.

Just 6 weeks before the Run for the Roses!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

koisokok likes this.
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Anyone catch the 2 legs of the Rebel Stakes this past weekend? Holy Smokes, take me back to horse-racing rivalries of the 70s, the nose victory of Omaha Beach over the undefeated Game Winner had to be seen to be believed, and Long Range Toddy catching Improbable just before the wire was electric.

I cannot wait for this year's Derby

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Anybody going to derby this year? I'll be there, in the stands and the infield. Party-on

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Most people in the infield never actually see the race!

9. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I know but I always like to slide in there for an hour and party before going to the seats. Always a fun and funny spectacle!

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They're not there to see the race; they're there to see the other people!:D

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've never been to a major race like the Derby, but it seems almost ludicrous to think of how many people come to watch an event that lasts a little over two minutes. Yeah, I know there are other races on the card, but I'm sure that if you ask the people who actually come to watch the Derby, few would admit to caring at all about the other races. I saw the fastest Indy 500 yet, in 2013, which lasted 2 hours and 45 minutes, and I almost felt shortchanged!

I will admit to going to see one event that lasted a little over two minutes, and with a lot more people than attend the Derby. That was the launch of the Apollo 17 moon mission at Cape Canaveral in 1973. But that wasn't an annual event, and it was the last moon shot, so it was different. I'm sure the people at Churchill Downs have a good time, but I'm perfectly happy watching the Derby on television!

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It's a little bit more than a 2-minute race and a bunch of people in the infield having a good time!

Many who attend the Derby view it as perhaps the oldest major sporting event in America having started in 1875, so they take a historical perspective about it being a very special tradition, and they do care about the sport because they have knowledge of past great champion horses & riders etc.

In fact, the Derby lasts all week in a series of day & night events at the end of which, "the Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports" happens.

To understand it better, in 1956 John Steinbeck famously said "The Kentucky Derby, whatever it is - a race, an emotion, a turbulence, an explosion - is one of the most beautiful and violent and satisfying things I have ever experienced".

Not to be outdone, famed writer Irvin S. Cobb quipped “Until you go to the Kentucky Derby and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain’t never been nowhere and you ain’t never seen nothing.”

We have been and it's all true, when the world's best horses step on the track for the Derby and 165,000 people spontaneously burst into the singing of "My Old Kentucky Home", the grandstands reverberate all the way up to the famed 144-year-old Twin Spires, and you get a special feeling of being in the presence of greatness. This is the big dance that the sporting world waits for all year, the one for all the marbles, the one that Kings & Queens from all over the world have tried in vain to win for 144 years. Then the horses go into the gate and there is a deathly hush of anticipation, the calm before the storm, after what seems like an eternity the gates open and what follows is a deafening roar like you have never heard before that lasts for a full two minutes getting louder as they get closer to the wire.

It feels totally different from watching it on TV.

I was fortunate to witness the Derby in person in 2012 when it was actually won by our local California resident & erstwhile Ferrari Enzo owner Paul Reddam, and, I had the pleasure of personally congratulating him just a few minutes later, a weekend I shall never forget in my life!

If you ever go, my recommendation is to stay at the Galt House where all the action is, go to the historic & trendy Jack Frys for lunch or dinner the day before and you’ll dine where F. Scott Fitzgerald and Al Capone did, have breakfast the morning of the race at the equally historic track-kitchen Wagners amongst previous Derby-winners and horsemen, you might find yourself sitting next to Bob Baffert and maybe he can tell you who’ll win.

The Derby experience done right is very different from the Indy 500, and in any case, I'd rather not wait 2 hrs & 45 mins to see who wins a race!

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll say that being at Indy for the race also "felt totally different from watching it on TV" and I'm sure that would be true about the Derby. As far as the last sentence, I guess that's what separates motor racing fans from horse racing fans!

BTW, I had heard last year that Pimlico was closing; has that happened yet, and if so, where are they going to run the Preakness?

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Don't know about the Preakness, I like motor racing too, but I will say that 2 minutes @ the Derby seemed like an eternity even after the buildup of a long week.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  16. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Is he your pick this year?

I forgot about this thread and haven't watched any racing yet. Might need to start reading up on the competition.

I also booked a trip with friends during Derby weekend so hopefully I can find a TV for the race:confused:

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think so, I'll tell you after the Arkansas Derby.

Roadster is an amazing horse.

But so too is Tacitus (below).

Either way perhaps a grey will win this year for the first time in 14 years and only the 9th time ever!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Any chance of another Triple Crown winner this year?

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    We'll know the answer to that question immediately after they cross the wire in the Preakness.

20. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Anybody on here going? I'll be there early saturday afternoon. I'll be at West Baden in French lick the night before getting some gambling in.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    With this year being the 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasion, a horse named for Omaha Beach would at least be a sentimental favorite!