Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive | FerrariChat

Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by speedsport, Sep 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I posted this in the WI section but not getting many views. Figured my question is more about starting from the Chicago area anyway sooo...

Has anyone driven from the Chicago area and started the Kettle Moraine Scenic route in Wisconsin? I'm familiar with a little around the south kettle and the area around Road America, but not sure what its like in between.

Is it worth driving in a 458? Considering I'm milage conscious and it's probably 55 miles one way just to the start of the route, I would hate to put 200+ miles on the car for a wasted drive.

2. ChicagoFerrari

ChicagoFerrari Karting

Dec 19, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean
    200 miles in a 458 is never a waste. Drive it, that's what they're for.

3. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    We used to do a fall cruise starting near Belvidere IL, drove for a bit, stopped at an apple orchard for a quick breakfast and ran up north towards Mt Horeb WI and hit all the country backroads in the area. It was easily a 200+ mile day with awesome scenery. I'm trying to find the route.

4. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I did it in a 599 running up to the FCA Annual Meet at Elkhart Lake in 2009. Was a great drive, at least until I got nailed for a $250 ticket at a speed trap right outside Kettle Morraine State Park.

5. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I've never done it myself but it is supposed to be a great drive. Would be a lot of fun to get a drive going up here!

6. PollosHermanos

PollosHermanos Karting

Sep 25, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Wisconsin backroads are awesome in a Ferrari. The roads around RoadAmerica are especially fun.

7. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm up for an organized ride through there one day. I found a lot of great roads just south of the WI border around the towns of Hampshire and Huntley last weekend.

8. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I agree. The Kettle moraine cruise is fantastic. We are lucky to have it so close. Take the scenic route, and stop off and meet the locals.