Keyless Portofinos+Relay Boxes=Happy Thieves | FerrariChat

Keyless Portofinos+Relay Boxes=Happy Thieves

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Redneck Slim, Apr 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    If a car doesn't require a proper metal key,a thief with a relay box can unlock it,start it,and drive it off. Expensive marques like Mercedes have proven easy to steal. So what protection do Ferrari owners have if all that it takes to steal one is capturing the electromagnetic emissions from the fob?

2. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    You are absolutely correct.
    Here in London, a lot of keyless Mercedes have been stolen in the past few months. Some insurance companies are starting to move to increase premiums on keyless entry vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO keyless entry by concept and definition should only allow you to unlocked your car door. It should not also deactivate the security system because the keyless system employs a radio signal and not a physical device. Radio signals can be easily spoofed, OTOH a car key or fob are physical devices with a customized chip which is very difficult to copy.

An unlocked door has immediate security implications if you have valuables in your car but if the security system is still active it can be set up so that the system will set off an alarm after a few seconds of the door being opened if the driver fails to either insert the key or fob or use fingerprint or enter a keypad key code to turn off the security system.

Essentially "keyless entry" should just be KEYLESS ENTRY and not also KEYLESS SECURITY UNLOCK. These are completely separate and different functions.

BTW, some time ago I had posted an observation and hypothesis about the remote lock/unlock functions of the Cali's "vehicle keys". It's a common complaint that the signal seems to be very weak and that we have to be almost at the car before the remote functions work. My hypothesis was that this was done on purpose by the factory to reduce the possibility of the signals being picked up and spoofed by car thieves. Sometimes the older, less convenient systems, are the way they are for good reasons. Ultimate convenience using immature technology can come with an unintended price.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do all new Ferrari come with a keyless entry system? If so, can this be disabled?
    T

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The problem is that there is no key. You could disable the system,but then you couldn't lock/unlock the car and you couldn't start it because there is no ignition switch where you could insert a real key.

6. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Not too worried about it. That's why there is insurance.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, perhaps you have not considered how Fcar ownership works if you own a new Fcar. Since keyless entry would only apply to the 488, 812 and PF, I think this point would be valid.

You will have to wait months, often well over a year or years, to get one of these cars (if at all) with your preferred build spec if your car somehow ends up in a container headed for some 3rd World "used car dealer". You are going to be driving a rental for a long time if you try to get an exact replacement. Replacing a new Fcar is not the same as replacing a new Honda Civic.

In addition, car insurance, unless you have 1st year full value replacement, will not come close to making you whole. If you also have aftermarket upgrades, your claim may not cover them at all and will definitely not cover the hassles or the huge waste of your time. You are most likely to lose money on depreciation, even if your car was as good as any new car.

Keyless entry should not deactivate the security system. For instance, your home security system does not care if you somehow managed to get into the house, you still need to punch in a personal code to prevent the alarms going off in a few seconds. Car makers are out to lunch on this.

8. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I know it'd be a bit P.I.T.A. and waste of time if the car got stolen, especially if it was some specific spec. I haven't had a car stolen, but I'd imagine it would work the same as replacing a totaled car. They'd have to source a similar car and you'd have to sign off on it or pay you off in some way. I'd imagine you'd have a PPI done on the alternative car, it would be of similar mileage and spec (maybe not exact, but probably close). Outside of aftermarket things, a ton of time wasted and maybe not 100% the same spec... you could find a like car and be made mostly whole. If we are talking 3 years down the road, I'd imagine there will be plenty of PF's on the secondary market to be had like there is Cali T's now.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #9 4th_gear, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    I don't think you fully appreciate the differences between the loss of a personally-spec'd 488, PF or 812 vs a car that does not have restricted annual allocation and production. You are commenting from a somewhat naïve perspective.

For instance, in my area there were only an allocation of 9 for the 812 model even though there were over 60 prospective buyers, and the wait time is over a year. So if you happen to be one of the (lucky) 9 buyers and someone steals your car, you will, at least, spend 2 years waiting because A) all the current allocations are taken and B) even if you get an allocation next year, it will take another year to fulfill that allocation.

Many of us are also in the final stage in our lives when we are still physically sharp and active, able to make good use of such cars. If we lose 2 of those years, it's a big deal, and even if you are not in my age group money will not be the primary concern because looking for a used car is going to pose at least 2 problems: A) there are none, and B) the few available will not likely be of your preferred spec. Buying used cars at these prices with a spec that does not appeal to you is very poor use of money. A possible 3rd problem is that many of these used cars are now selling way above MSRP. Yes, used 488 GTBs are going for significant change over MSRP. As for a used 812 at MSRP - ha-ha, forget it. Even with the PF, you're likely to experience similar issues for the first 3-4 years of production.

IMO, if you value your new Fcar ownership it is a big deal to have your new Fcar stolen or wrecked. Insurance does not fully compensate personal loss. It only mitigates financial risk.

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    This is why you insure for at least an agreed value (covered adnauseum everywhere on this site and others) and I would guess even with full coverage if the car has appreciated above MSRP the insurance company would have to compensate you the cash value of the vehicle minus deductible, even if that means its for more then you paid for it. Yeah your probably not going to get what you had, heck you might even have to "settle" for something else, but at the prices of these new cars having to "settle" for something else is a real first world problem at best.

And the simple fact is theft has been is and will be a real threat to anyone owning anything of remote value. Ive had to resort to Raydogs way of thinking as far as business assets and theft go unfortunately. I do everything humanly possible to prevent theft but ultimately if someone wants it bad enough they are going to get it, and other then me physically guarding my assets and stopping theft physically (and even that is no guarantee) it can and does happen and insurance has to pay to replace stolen equipment/items/vehicles. Even when the items are recovered later they are rarely in good enough condition to return to reliable daily use and are total losses.

11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    For a few days I am driving a new Audi as a loaner from the dealer. It is keyless. As I approach it with the fob in my pocket,the doors and the steering column unlock. I get in,push the Start button,and drive off. The same thing can be done with a relay box that has been in the vicinity of the fob and recorded its transmissions. Ferrari's system may not have been hacked yet,but it will be.

Last year a group of locked cars were burgled overnight in my area. None were broken into. The police said that the thieves used an electronic device that unlocked the cars just like the cars' fobs do.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    insuring for a set amount with auto insurance will get very expensive and to stay on the point of Redneck Slim's post, why should car owners pay for carmakers' irresponsible, poor security decisions? You can guarantee insurance companies will notice the increased risk due to keyless car entry technology and adjust their rates accordingly. This represents a waste of car owners' money and if thieves only break into your car for its contents, your lost possessions won't be covered by auto insurance.

Finally, just to emphasize the lack of common sense with keyless entry, does anyone need keyless entry to their home? And we don't "park" our homes in parking lots or locations where thieves often lurk? So why do we have to do that with keyless entry cars that often cost as much as a house?. Carmakers are just competing to look cool, at our expense.

To have a more secure keyless system, the driver should have to press a button to send an RSA type of randomized key code to open the car door at close distance and then have to physically enter a personal code on a keypad, use a fingerprint or active 3D facial recognition, before the engine can be started. Your iPhone can do some of this already.

Otherwise, just use a key with a customized chip like with the older cars.

13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I don’t disagree with what you are saying, it’s one of the reasons if the option is offered I get equipment with a key pad instead of a key. There isn’t that option with the John feet 997 mower we run, and any John Deere key will open and start any price of John Deere equipment. And since we change mower every 2 years and the warranty would be void if we change the ignition key I’m stuck with several 25k peices of equipment that can very easily be stolen.

We can vote with our wallets for so long before all the manufacturers have sub par entry/start systems. At best most locks only keep honest people honest reguardless of why the lock protects. Aftermarket security solutions are probably going to be your best bet in the future.

14. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    This is why engine start/stop buttons will have a fingerprint reader similar to your phone.

Coming Soon...

15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    multiple driver households? valet? mechanics? toss my thumb to a friend for a drive?

16. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Guest Mode

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'd be more worried about the fob battery going dead on a road trip more so than thievery. It seems from looking at the online 488 manual, that there is a mechanical override if the battery is dead to both open the doors and start the car. Doesn't look convenient though....T

18. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I saw a Portofino yesterday. It has a backup key with a keyhole on the door and an ignition switch on the steering column under a removable cover. So it looks like the car could be converted to key-only operation by having someone like ecudoctors.com delete the keyless software.

19. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    What about trackers? I will have one fitted to my car, which is fairly common. Even if someone grabs the signal and drives off, I get a call and the cops find the car...

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think that is an option in some markets. From the April 2018 personalization programme...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

T