Kid crashes dad's car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Kid crashes dad's car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Irishman, Dec 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    i don't understand why so many ferraris burst into flames like that. FNA should look into it.

2. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Let's see a normal car that crashes at 90 mph and doesn't burn...

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Andy Warhol once said, "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes."

To ensure your instant classic Quote-Of-The-Year does not go unnoticed, credit is given where it is due and your fame lasts a lot longer, it just became my Signature.

4. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    We dont know the full story here...

Maybe the kid "borrowed" the car when dad was asleep.

Either way that kid's going to be in HUGE pile of crap.

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I knew that was coming :D

6. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    Has it been established that the son was given the keys, or did he take it for a joyride?

7. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler

+2, LOL. I feel sorry for the tree.

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art

There was nothing in the article about the car being stolen, so you've got to assume that the kid was given the keys.

Art

9. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The Wolf Web thread was titled ... What Happens When A 16 Year Old Steals ...

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Amazing that the kids survived.

So much for the F430, off to scrap it goes.

11. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Wow, this is horrible. Those kids are lucky to be alive. Now it's time to face the music.

12. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Question for everyone out there. Do you think it is more likely than your teenage son will die if a)you give him a gun b)you give him a new Ferrari. Sorry guys, but I'm leaning towards B.
    Obviously the car is too powerful for his driving abilities and his father should use better judgment next time, and be lucky that there is a next time.

13. JohnMinor07

JohnMinor07 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John M
    Man that F430 is just trashed.

14. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    His father isn't Terry Bollea, is he? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

15. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Im sure the kid walked away but you know the broken legs came form the dad. ;)

Best,
    Jon

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    What is it about Ferraris that they always aseem to burn after a bad crash?

17. zjhoward

zjhoward Karting

Dec 15, 2007
    Full Name:
    Zachary Howard
    I'm at college in Raleigh, and my girlfriend and I were just riding around through that neighborhood the other day. It is unreal. Those houses are enormous- custom builder jobs easily worth millions. We were actually talking in the car, "I bet someone in this neighborhood owns an Fcar." NOT ANYMORE!

Seriously though, that sucks about the car, but at least the kid is ok. The real problem is that the father is probably already looking for a new Ferrari, and the son won't learn anything because with this much money things are replaceable. Money can replace an F430, but not a kid, so I hope the dad keeps that in mind.

18. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.

I think it likely is because the fuel tanks are very close to the motor, which is obviously a source of great heat. I do not seem to see as many reports of fires on front engine F-cars. There have been issues on some older cars that would cause fires, but on the newer cars, it seems that unless there is an oil line that sprays all over the exhaust manifolds, it's an accident that causes the fire. The 360 and 430 being aluminum makes the damage from a fire look much worse than it would if they were steel bodied.

19. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Peter...I was trying to figure out where the accident happened. Where was it?

20. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Best internet post ever! EVER!!!

21. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    im assuming you aint a dad...no smilie face, nothing to indicate that this is a joke. im gonna assume it is, but this is a bad thing to say in my book. Yes you can have another kid, but it will never be the same.

Back to the thread, this is the fathers fault in my book. He deserves the same broken legs his son has for letting him out with such a car. Goes to show alot of money doesnt equal brains.

He is lucky he still has his son to hug and hold this holiday season as opposed to starring at a picture on a wall.

22. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    That looks like lochmere to me. My parents live just up the street on summerview lane. Or maybe that really nice area just south of kildaire farm rd behind walmart.

23. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Friend in HS wrecked his dad's 308 right before his 16th birthday while mom and dad were on vacation. I think he was selling shoes until his junior year of college paying off the repair bill. ;)
    This stuff happens, sometimes it is a Toyota driven to its limits, here it was a Ferrari driven beyond the kid's limits. Glad the kid is alive, and hope he got his life leasson out of it. I am sure his dad had insurance and the financial hit won't be hit by the family directly.

24. BobO

BobO Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Loudoun Co, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob O
    When my youngest kid was in HS, I let him take out my '67 Corvette on dates from time to time. Why the hell not, he knew one screw-up and all the rest of the neat fleet would be off limits. Teaches responsibility in my book. Anyway, he inherits all my iron some day. Well, comes prom night and out he goes in the Vette and I get the call all parents dread. Net is he's fine, new 16 year old driver plows into him pulling out of Mickey D's. Fortunately, (the small town cop) charges her up the wazoo, and I must say her insurance company, Nationwide, was more than accommodating. No frame damage. New front clip and a gorgeous new paint job. The car came out it better than before.

Kid goes on to work part time at Ferrari of Washington while still in HS and even through most of college. Does some of their quality control test driving. He had the distinct privilege of taking serviced cars out for road testing. By the tender young age of 22, he had driven hard many Ferrari models we could only dream about.

He's welcome to drive any of my little red cars anytime he damn well pleases. And oh by the way, he took the wheel all the way up to Montreal a few years back during one of the legendary spirited DC gang runs up to the F1. I felt entirely comfortable at 3 digits with him.