Kidney Stones | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by beast, Aug 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I was sitting on my couch drinking a scotch and water and had the same experience with my left side. Checked the symptoms on the internet and figured it was a kidney stone. turns out I was right and went to the ER. the stone was stuck in my left kidney. I had to have an operation and then they put a catheter into the kidney for what seemed like years. I got to watch the doc take out the catheter on TV. I have been fine since.

However, just had some bloodwork done and my doctor says I need to drink more water, lots more water. How they know this is beyond me, but I will ask the doc when I see him next week after drinking lots of water and being retested next week.

Gotta pee now. ;)

2. sosick

sosick Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2007
    you can get rid of them in 10 minutes ive had them and was rushed to the hosipital and they said i had to pass them, the pain is unbarable i found these pills on line and as soon as i took them the stone broke up they are awesome ....its called uriflow

http://uriflow.net/?gclid=CLzF9Pq8jZ0CFQO2sgodPGz-2Q[/urli

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I remember getting lots-o-morphine trying to deal with one of those damn things, and the X-Ray technician said she had 2 kids by natural child birth and 1 stone, and the pain was worse from the stone than BOTH births put together.

Also, doing digging for info on these is tough, and not perfectly consistent. Lots of internet majic cures etc. I've heard of that retreival deal. Sounds medeivel!

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ...I'd love to keep reading this thread, but I wanna go take a good long pee and
    then drink a gallon of water afterwards!!!!!!

Jedi

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but one of my employees has been having issues with stones and ended up in ambulance to the hospital this afternoon.

I was just curious what they were all about and if there was any good info on how to avoid or get rid of them. Intersting read.

6. kali

kali Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Elle
    I hear the pain is comparable to childbirth, congratulations on being more empathetic to your wife

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ouch, poor bugger. :(:(

Is it common for kids to get them?? From dinking too much soda and not enough water?? :):)

I take it people who drink more than 2 litres of soda a day are more likely to get it?? Varies of course. :):)

Curious as I drink a little bit of soda. Not everyday, but when I do drink it...........sometimes 2-3 cans in one hit. :D:D

Sometimes I dont touch the stuff for weeks. :D:D

I drink a lot of water, so maybe that offsets it a little bit for me? :):)

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #33 BMW.SauberF1Team, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Depends on what kind of stones he/she is having. Oxalate stones, uric stones, calcium stones, calcium oxalate, struvite, etc.

Struvite are from frequent UTIs
    Calcium can be from a condition like hypercalcemia from hyperparathyroidism
    Uric stones from diabetes or gout
    Calcium oxalate stones are from GI absorption problems or low calcium in diet (60% of all stones).

All of them benefit from hydration and once it is determined the type of stone, certain treatment needs to be done. Just make sure you drink clean water. Not hard water. Stones <4mm get passed out normally. 4mm-2cm from shock wave. Over 2cm more invasive to remove.

9. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #34 F1Ace, Feb 24, 2011
    I believe it's the result of too much Calcium in
    the typical North American diet.

Another very interesting read....
    http://www.health-reports.com/Osteoporosis.html

"So do not take any calcium supplements, (check your multi-vitamin also), for the first four months.
    The magnesium will pull calcium from where excess calcium has been deposited in your body. Your arteries,
    your joints, kidney stones, etc. So your bones will have a source of calcium. In addition increasing magnesium
    levels increases the overall amount of available calcium in your body, or so research shows."

Wes

10. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    #35 430man, Feb 24, 2011
    There's a ton of info out there on the net... I'm not 100% that you can avoid them once you start getting them.

The timing on this is odd, I passed a 5mm stone yesterday and was tempted to post pix and share but decided it was TMI. ;)

As a boss, try to give the poor guy some room... I PROMISE YOU he'd rather be at work. (spoken from a guy who has passed probably more than a dozen by now and still has 2 in me as we speak)

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #36 Jdubbya, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    Oh, I know he would rather be at work than in the kind of pain he was. Believe me it took a lot for him and he was actually the one to finally just grab the phone and dial 911 I guess. I was out of the office at the time but got several calls and made it back just in time to chat with the ambulance driver as they headed off to the hospital.

I talked with him the next morning and he was not feeling much pain thanks to the meds, but still hadn't passed what was apparently about a 4mm stone. It was kind of entertaining though as he kept promising he'd be back at work on Friday but I knew it was the drugs talking! Obviously I told him not to worry about it and take as much time as he needed!

I was just posting to see if there was anything I could suggest to him to help the poor guy out!!

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

This is, more or less, the only accurate info in this thread.

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Cmon Uro, they hurt too. I would say that was an accurate statement.

I had a kidney stone about 12 years ago. It was too big to pass so they had to roto rooter me. As bad as the stone was, recovery from the surgery was way worse.

14. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Sorry abut the stones…and pain guys.
    The first course, as always, is to solve and eliminate the cause instead of treat the symptom. The human body will heal given the right environment to do so. Look at what you are eating and why.
    The above info on soda, calcium and magnesium are all correct.
    The book: The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf has some excellent info on what we are suppose to eat and what happens when you eat what you're not suppose to.
    -Billy

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Struvite stones can get VERY Large and stay in the renal pelvis...and be asymptomatic at that. It's amazing what they look like and their size when they can go about not causing pain. They make a shape just like the renal pelvis...you wouldn't want to ever attempt to pass something that size, lol...thankfully it's not possible to pass something like that.

A few weeks back we had a patient with a pleural effusion of urine...of course it wasn't natural. A doc ended up running through the diaphragm I think by accident. Oops.

16. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Never hurt me!!! :):):)

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Ouch!

18. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Not when you're getting paid :)

19. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    I pass them all the time that size but the folks down at the docs office are always amazed at the size stone I pass so I assume I'm the outlier. Sounds like he's in for an adventure. And not the good kind.