Kimi 2 more years..... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Kimi 2 more years.....

Discussion in 'F1' started by classic308, Aug 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    thing is every driver deserves their chance. Their resume won't be that impressive until they have that chance. McLaren put LH in a car when "all he had done" was win a GP2 title. All Max V had done when he got the Red Bull ride was beat Sainz. We know what Kimi is and we're not winning championships

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Pull up Kimi vs FA. Thats Kimi who is = to Massa. Kimi is the least capable 1 hit wonder on the grid. When will everyone wake up to this. He is literally a guy who hates the press and mumbles on the radio without much fire as a driver. He openly sits as a #2 year after year LOL. So I should offer respect to that lol??????????? His personality or cult of it is old old old news. He should be leaving, not FA.

458John likes this.
  3. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Wasn't that Grosjean's crash, Bas? ;)

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Thank you Grosjean.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    2010 wasn't.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Neither where we with Alonso.

If it wasn't for Ferrari's failing's, Kimi would be 8-15 points behind Vettel at most. Ferrari wants a WDC, not a WCC. A driver challenging the #1 driver is counter productive, as he'll be taking points of Vettel. Too costly in a fight with Mercedes.

Either replace Vettel with Alonso (and put anyone in #2 seat), or stick with the current drivers.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    If Kimi is so bad as some here report, He sets plenty of fastest lap of the race! So what if he doesn't talk to reporters.

stavura, NEP, 635CSI and 4 others like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I like Kimi.

suz123nj likes this.
  9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Having two drivers fighting each other for the title didn't hurt Mercedes with Rosberg and Hamilton. Kimi is a 9/10ths driver in a 10/10ths sport. Michael's number twos also usually finished number two in the WDC. Time to have Kimi go ice fishing.

JJ and DF1 like this.
  10. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    Nobody wins a WDC by accident, to say otherwise is downright silly and ignorant.
    Since when does the way someone speaks have any bearing on the way they drive? English is not his first language, obviously, and his personality remains the same on and off the track.

Ferrari is paying him millions and millions of dollars a year to play #2, if you don't see that I'm not sure you're paying attention. Also, I'm sure Kimi isn't losing sleep over your opinion as he sits on a throne of $100 bills, wiping away his tears with more $100 bills, wishing he could win the favor and respect of Mr DF1...

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don’t think that’s fair, Bas. Yes, LeClerc has had a couple of rookie mistakes and highly visible ones at that. But “most of the time” he has been exceptionally solid and consistent, especially for a rookie driver. Not “most of the time” spinning off the track. Quite the opposite.

I honestly believe that young guy has at least one WDC in his future. But that said, I sincerely hope he doesn’t get pushed too far too fast.

I don’t want him in the Ferrari next year. It’s too soon. Another year at Sauber, or move him ‘up’ to Haas, which let’s face it is a promotion from the once proud Sauber to the upstart American team, and then we’ll see.

He has so much potential that I think it would be an absolute crime to push him beyond his abilities too soon and possibly crash and burn a shining future.

12. DF1

Ok whatever. Same applies to your opinion as well.Its an opinion lol

13. DF1

See the opinion below your post lol! :)

14. DF1

He's likeable. As far as F1 is - quite easy to forget.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He's had quite a few ''off track moments'' in crucial moments of the weekend (quali/race) and spins that went unnoticed to the cameras, moments he himself has admitted to....The mistakes are there. I rate him highly but he's simply not ready for the Ferrari seat (as we both agree on that). He's a very nice kid, very polite, nice with everyone in the paddock. He's a future world champion I'm sure.

As you say...let him do another year at Sauber or Haas, he needs a new teammate to be measured against.

stavura, daytona355, NEP and 2 others like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Who was the competition with Hamilton and Rosberg? No one. So Merc could easily afford to lose points to each other, no one was coming near them. They did and the next driver in all 3 of those seasons was still over a hundred points away.

Michaels #2's finished 2nd in the standings you say. Isn't Kimi doing just that, then? 2016 Ferrari 3rd in championship, Vettel 4th Kimi 6th. 2017 he finished 4th to Vettels' 2nd (ferrari 2nd). 2018 he's 3rd in the championship to Vettel's 2nd.

As for Michaels' #2s at Ferrari, nope. Wrong. Barrichello finished 2nd twice, the rest below par. Massa did well to finish 3rd behind Schumachers 2nd. Irvine finished 4th to Schumachers 2nd, once. The rest he was below par. 1999 was a different subject seeing as Schumacher broke his legs. Irvine finished 2nd, and Schumacher, despite missing over a third of the races, finished a respectable 6th. The day he came back to F1 he outqualified the field (including irvine) by a second...

So going by your own measuring stick, Kimi is outperforming.

17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    All depends on what car he sits in!

Bas likes this.
  18. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Maybe we should talk about Ferrari’s bad strategic calls and pit stop blunders screwing points from both of their drivers.

JLF likes this.
  19. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Ferrari's bad strategic calls begin with keeping Kimi. I appreciate that he doesn't answer stupid questions, but that doesn't improve his driving. Yes he can put in a fast lap...but he just is out there driving for his own enjoyment and not racing.

JJ likes this.
  20. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Jacques Villeneuve: Ferrari should keep Kimi Raikkonen

Former F1 world champion Jacques Villeneuve believes Ferrari should offer Kimi Raikkonen a new contract for 2019 instead of promoting Sauber driver Charles Leclerc alongside Sebastian Vettel.

Ferrari has yet to confirm its driver line-up for 2019, although reports earlier this year claimed a deal was done for Leclerc to replace Raikkonen.

Vettel has a contract at the team until the end of 2020 and Villeneuve is concerned a young driver like Leclerc would struggle against the four-time champion.

"Look at the work [Kimi's] been doing," he told F1's official podcast Beyond the Grid. "He's third in the championship, he's often quicker than Vettel and when he's not he's just a tenth behind. He's paramount in the development of the car. The whole team works fantastically well now.

"Put a young 'cub' next to Vettel and what will Vettel do? He'll try to eat him alive. Either he will destroy the young cub or it will end in tears and the whole team will end up going slower within two years. That's not constructive."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Villeneuve believes Leclerc needs another year to develop at Sauber, which is now closely linked to Ferrari though its Alfa Romeo sponsorship.

"Charles is still making a few mistakes," he said. "It would be amazing for him [to go to Ferrari], but it would be two years of Ferrari preparing him.

"Ferrari, like Mercedes, is not a team to prepare drivers. It's a top team. Top teams they pay for the drivers when they are at their best and when they want them. That's why you have junior teams, to prepare them."

http://kwese.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/24388324/jacques-villeneuve-ferrari-keep-kimi-raikkonen

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I just don't get you guys...look, i like Kimi, he still drives great and most of the time, if the team doesn't screw him he is almost as good , sometimes faster than Seb, so i have no problems with him staying, but saying that charles is not prepared is a mistake.
    By the end of the year he will have a full season behind him. what did Hamilton or Jacques have when they put him in the Mclaren or Williams? I know they did more than a full year just in testing but even so...if Charles is not as good as Elton i say we don't need him...if he is (and i believe he will be better) than he can handle a Ferrari drive next year.

22. DF1

Agree'd on Charles. But now that JV has spoken the Kimi deal is done. And members here say they do not like JV LOL :)

23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    They should get Alonso then. Vettel isn't good enough. Has had much better cars than Alonso ever had here and he's not getting it done. Period.

458John likes this.
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And how is it that Vettel got much better cars than Alonso did? I'm curious...

Rgds

Bas and furoni like this.
  25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Because Alonso sucks at developing a car?'?????
    ps..it's not really a question...more like a statement!