Kimi 2 more years..... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Kimi 2 more years.....

Discussion in 'F1' started by classic308, Aug 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari needs constant development. Vettel gives that.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

What or where is the proof FA could not provide accurate and timely feedback to 'develop' a car. Most major team engineering leaders say its 80-90% car. So show or post the proof a driver is 'developing' a car.

Every team needs constant development. Thats a required theme of any F1 team in any season.

458John likes this.
  3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yeah, that would be refreshing. But first, I'll go walk across broken glass in bare feet.

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Lack of allowed testing doesn't help developing the car!

DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's true, of course. I have to say that for about twenty years, I've been rather dumbfounded by the measures taken by "The Powers that are ruling Formula One" specifically to limit the costs, etc...which inevitably end by enforcing the strangehold of the "big constructors" on the discipline. Fernando Alonso say that his main motive for leaving Formula One is that is has become too predictable...indeed.

Rgds

DF1 likes this.
  6. DF1

Which corresponds to my unanswered question about 'who' is a good car developing driver. FA is not - per wisdom here. Who is given the utter lack of testing. As I stated in my question - most leading technical people in F1 state it is now 80-90% driver. So what impact do they have and who has the most/is the best at it.

I dont think any of them are better overall in comparison to each other. Post the proof/stats or inputs supporting a 'driver' who is so good at 'developing' a car so easily mentioned here.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    sammysaber likes this.
  9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Alonso had great car development. See his Renault years. Vettel isn't getting it done. If he doesn't win it this year he needs to be sacked. Germany was absolutely pathetic.

458John likes this.
  10. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ferrari couldn't understand the EBD concept. Not Alonso's fault and not that hard to understand really.

How did Renault go from backmarker to back to back champions under Alonso? I'll wait.

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Michelin. Next question?

12. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Uh, isn’t Alonso retiring?

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sure, not his fault that during his years the cars were good at the start and rubbish at the end..shoud be Massa's fault because we all know it was him dictating wich direction the car should follow!
    And of course, we all saw his amrvelous work at Mclaren, amazing car tahy had for the las 4 years....of course he did help to build a great car in 2007..oh wait, that one was done with stolen data from Ferrari!!!

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Bingo....

15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yes. What does that have to do with the question about 2005 and 2006?

16. DF1

And a car + driver to maximize that capability.............

17. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Can you guys go over to the "Alonso is (very) overrated" thread. This is a Kimi thread! :D

NEP, 635CSI, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Huh? Literally the reverse happened.

2010 he won most of his races at the end of the year
    2011 started off good for about 5th, won a race midway and was a regular podium car the second half of the year
    2012 Ferrari turned out a real turd to start with (aka it was so bad everyone was calling it Clifford the Big Red Dog). Alonso still won a race with it and by the end of the year it was winning and a regular podium finisher
    2013 car started off good and went to crap when Pirelli changed the tires mid season which was a total sham job and not Alonso's fault

As for McLaren, with that engine the thing was a joke so it's hard to draw any conclusions. Still it improved mega from '15 to '16 and '17 to '18.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys even watch the races.

subirg and daytona355 like this.
  19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #94 TifosiUSA, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Funny how they were able to pass all other Michelin running teams like established giants McLaren and Williams and went from a backmarker, to points scorer, to race winner to champions. The path of progression was clear as day and a year in which they made a huge leap (from 7th to 4th in the WCC) was actually the year Alonso was the test driver. Furthermore, after he left Renault following 2006, their form took a huge dip and when he came back in 2008, the car scored almost 30 more points than the year prior. He joined a McLaren team that was 3rd best in 2006 and suddenly after his arrival in 2007 it was suddenly a front runner.

So good effort but you don't really know what you're talking about.

20. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Jeronimo GTO, DF1 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  21. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bottas and Rosberg both routinely take/took points away from Vettel. Even when the Ferrari is dominant, Kimi rarely takes points from Hamilton (or even manages to slow him down for half a lap). Hamilton has had the best #2 driver for years, period. Kimi+Ferrari are, when everything goes right, a solid #4. That is where he sees himself and that is where he lands unless one of the top 3 mess up.

Kimi was once inspiring and was a great driver. Kimi is no longer motivated and his performance is a reflection. Most often he drives like he is the only one on track and passively cruising around in his own world, never a threat to win and rarely putting up any fight when being passed. I do the same thing on I-80 when I'm not in a hurry and have all night...

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm glad, I think he's the perfect #2.

NEP, BMW.SauberF1Team and daytona355 like this.
  23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I agree, I want Kimi to be behind Vettel every race, because the team clearly will only support Seb to win the title unless rocking horse start crapping........ if he can destroy a Mercedes or at least stay ahead of them sometimes, that’s his role. He is not employed to win, he is employed to field a totally submissive second ferrari, and at that, he is very very good. On the radio, he is clear withthe team - tell me what you want me to do - ferrari seem a little in awe of his honesty as they get tongue tied and try to tell him in riddles. Kimi does not have the patience for that, he just wants a good strategy along the way to second, or on behind Seb

NEP, paulchua and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  24. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Not a darn thing. ;)

25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

You mean like racing contact with Hamilton and bumping him off track ?