Kimi to take sabbatical in 2010 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Kimi to take sabbatical in 2010

Discussion in 'F1' started by GoFerrari28, Nov 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Too true and worthy of a thread I note...:)

2. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Wow. If true, I think Ross Brawn is going to come out further ahead with Kimi as his driver than McLaren will with Jenson. Mercedes indicated that there were going to be some surprises with their driver line-up, and if Kimi has signed with Mercedes, then they weren't kidding.

3. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    What a season that would make. Mercedes factory team, Ferrari, and McLaren, all with WDCs in their cars! Let's hope...

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Almost as if Bernie planned the whole thing;)

5. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    He had to do something now that Max isn't there to adjust the points... :D

6. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    The big unspoken question is where Kimi expects to go in 2011? Ferrari's obviously out. McLaren has two long-term contracts sewn up now. Mercedes is not in a position to spend the money Kimi wants and will likely have at least two-year deals for Rosberg and Heidfeld. Renault is on the brink and probably will continue to be.

So what's that leave him with?

I'm guessing it could be "Red Bull & Vodka" but not until 2012 at the earliest. Kimi could well be out a lot longer than he'd expected, much like Villeneuve has been.

7. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    IIRC Webber's contract is done at the end of 2010 so the timing could work for 2011.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Plus Danica at USF1.

<ah, that breath felt good, anybody else wants the pipe now?>

9. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    I believe that would pretty much amount to Vitaly Petrov getting a seat at Renault. One less place for Kovalainen...but I cannot help myself cheering for the man from my ancestral home town. I bet Bernie would love it too.

10. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    *cough* *cough* Hey, I'll bet you she scores more points than Alonso next year! Damn this stuff is strong... ;)

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Petrov was mentioned in the original story. Sorry if I omitted that.

12. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    The thing that really disappoints me about Kimi is in part the following Autosport article. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80234

He wants to secure a top drive in 2011 but he wants that top drive largely handed to him on a plate, when other drivers will have gotten the car to "top drive" level next year. He's so unwilling to take the next season and actually help a team other than McLaren get a competitive car to top drive level, that it exhibits a complete lack of devotion on his part. Perhaps he thinks he is all that and a bag of chips but if he's not willing to take a risk and help a team get near the top in 2010, then he's certainly not going to be handed a top seat in 2011. He's really fooling himself.

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Funny how he was paid $45 Million last year, for what? The powers that be did not have to do that considering what Alonso and Massa were making, no wonder he thinks his **** doesn't stink.