Kline Time 458 | FerrariChat

Kline Time 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Didn’t get enough pics, sorry everyone. Local Indy putting in Kline SS exhaust, sans 200 Cell cats for now. I’m going to see how it sounds with the stock cats first, then go in again next oil change and put the 200s in.

Car looks good underneath! No leaks, all rubber except tires good!

A few other minor items, a new set of skins, and good to go........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TOPENDMS and spyder625 like this.
  2. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Thanks for sharing! That undercarriage shot - i feel like i just stole a peak up the skirt of a pretty lady!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Your 458 looks like new underneath..Obviously no salt drenched roads where you live..I'm also looking for an aftermarket exhaust to fit on my 458 and Kline currently one of my favourites..Also considering a Larini system with 200 cell cats which doesn't cause a CEL..Trying to find comparisons between Kline SS and their Inconel..
    Keep us posted on how this system turns out.

4. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    cant wait to hear it.. keep us posted

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Good news....got the mufflers installed, sounds awesome!

Bad news.....dropped the car for tires, and I’m out of town until June. Stay tuned, I’ll post a video when I return.

By the way, the Kline is a tad shorter than stock, according to my Indy, but no problems with install.

Sound is higher pitched than the FabSpeed, but not necessarily louder. Opted not to plug valves, as I need stealth mode occasionally. Still have the 200 cel cats in my back pocket, probably will install in August.

6. Bluem5

Bluem5 Rookie

May 31, 2020

Hi there, i m also curious and after the same set up. did you use any spacers? incur any CEL ?
    Kline says theres still a chance for a CEL despite having the 200 cell cats, so they suggested spacers just incase

7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I did not yet install the cats, just cat back. For the cats, which I still plan to install later this year, James from Vivid recommended the Capistro device which squelches codes arising from the 200 cel cats. My understanding is it plugs into the ECU module directly.

I’m in no hurry to install the cats - the new setup is loud and aggressive enough for me. The Indy who put in the muffler didn’t seem to think the 200s would make much of a difference. Time will tell.

8. Bluem5

Bluem5 Rookie

May 31, 2020
    nice, do you know roughly how long it took your indy to install the exhaust ?

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Why SS and not Inconel ?

10. Bluem5

Bluem5 Rookie

May 31, 2020
    the price is the reason, also to get it into country, it is likely i pay 30-50% duty on top of the price of the exhaust, so not really worthwhile

11. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Its June! Lets hear it!

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Ok, ok, when I get back to FL next week........

Andy348 likes this.
  13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Recommended by James at Vivid.
    . I will ask, but if I recall it was around $700 - $800 for the job. His first time, so he took his time and did it right.

14. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If you change to cats, you might get a check engine but it may be related to leakage between the header and the cat. After installation, there is initial expansion and there can be change in the seal resulting in a "leak". You may see it immediately when you start the car as the engine runs extra rich. Then have to open it up and just retorque the bolts. I had no check engine for the first 200 miles and then it just showed up.

wthensler likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Recommended ? SS is heavier than stock I believe, Titanium lighter , Inconel the lightest.

16. Bluem5

Bluem5 Rookie

May 31, 2020
    did he take more than a day ? just wanting to know how long i need to leave the car for if i do go ahead with this project

17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #17 wthensler, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Well, I didn’t weigh it, but no way it’s heavier than stock. I think someone posted weight earlier. The install took about a day without cats. Next time will be quicker (to install cats). The system as it stands sounds great, I believe. Sound is louder and more aggressive. When I figure out how to upload a video, I’ll post it with some comments.

Bluem5 and MANDALAY like this.
  18. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    To shed some more insight:

Aftermarket stainless steel systems is usually lighter than stock because they use less heat shielding and smaller mufflers to make it louder.

Titanium is the lightest material, but has lower durability and heat resistance than both stainless steel and inconel. It's a popular material especially on social media as you can do crazy coloration on titanium, giving it a very exotic look. Due to lower durability, headers should never be made from titanium. Some companies do cat pipes in titanium, but many others refuse to do so as that is risky. Post-cat is fair game.

Inconel is almost as light as titanium but is more durable than even stainless steel. It's also the hardest to work with and the most exotic material, which is why few brands offer it. We're starting to see more inconel in OEM exhausts. The Pista is the first non-hypercar to have OEM inconel headers as far as I know.