Know your Ferrari - with a prize | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Know your Ferrari - with a prize

Discussion in 'Australia' started by creafield, Nov 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    Of course I expect to be savagely flamed by F40GTLMC :):)[/QUOTE]

OH PHIL........PHIL........PHIL........PHIL
    What have you done. Drive an F40 and you'll never be the same. That's it..................you need to DRIVE ONE

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OH PHIL........PHIL........PHIL........PHIL
    What have you done. Drive an F40 and you'll never be the same. That's it..................you need to DRIVE ONE[/QUOTE]

being a passenger would do the trick, and it's all he really deserves! and old fart who likes old cars...hmph.

3. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS

being a passenger would do the trick, and it's all he really deserves! and old fart who likes old cars...hmph.[/QUOTE]

this is for PHIL. Correct me if I'm wrong. The last Ferrari rally in VIC. Phillip Island. Were'nt you the one that said you were driving your 308, flat out down the straight and the LM went past and nearly sucked your helmet off?
    aw........F40's

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    well you better argue the toss with Jess Pourret, that's what he called it Giovanni :D

5. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Who am I to argue?

What would I know anyway?

You're probably right - wait, did I say that????!!!! :(

BTW - is Jess Pourett the love child of Jesse James and some ballet dancer?

6. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    This afternoon I picked up the latest Octane issue. They have a feature on Aston Martin DB4s. One of the cars featured is a Bertone bodied example. I tell you, it looks a lot like that 250SWB! The Bertone cars really are distinctive!

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's good read too. I got mine sent a month ago from a uk contact. Never read it before. very nice.

Journo's road tests are still BS though. NEVER believe a journo road test.

8. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I know your general opinion of car mags, but I actually had the feeling you'd like Octane, and I'm not surprised by your reaction to your first encounter with this mag. I always find it an absorbing read, cover to cover.

You know, i used to take everything the motor noters would say as gospel, but I think I've become more critical in recent times. One thing I've been meaning to ask you is, what do you think of journalist/racers such as Mark Hales (an Octane contributor)? Is a journalist with respectable racing credentials more credible in your opinion? I suppose one of the original, archetypal journalist/racers is Paul Frere.

9. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I neevr liked his write up on the Monteverdi Hai but he can drive from all reports.

Mel Nichols in the Sports Car World days was the most entertaining and had a very liberal hand with the truth but boy could he write some great prose..

10. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    Actual latest issue for those who have sources of airmail copies has a 250GT TdF feature. Now there's a real car and quite possibly more successful in general competition than almost any other F-Car, including the F40 as it happens...It's been out for a couple of weeks in good bookstores!

11. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    Paul Frere's autobiography " My Life Full of Cars" was a real disappointing read. I was looking forward to it when it came out, but he made his life sound so dull...You would have thought with his career with the wheel and the pen he could have made things sound at least a little interesting...

12. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

I don't think I've read any of his work (bit before my time), but I am aware that he was involved in the famous Phase III speedo shot, published in Wheels in 1971.

Paul Frere won Le Mans for Ferrari: not too many can claim an achievement of that magnitude! Again, I haven't had the pleasure of reading his work. Well, not that I am aware of, anyway.

13. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

That's a shame. That book was on my must read list!

14. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Wasn't that Steve Cropely(sp?)?

15. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I just did a quick google check to confirm. It was Mel Nichols and the photgrapher was Uwe Kuessner.

I'm familiar with Steve Cropley too! I think he edited Classic and Sportscar in the UK at one stage, and he was Wheels European correspondant for ages. I think Peter Robinson took over when he moved to Italy.

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mel Nichols, ok. I knew it was one of those guys. Cropley owned a 308 G/Glass car at one point and rather famously crashed it (lightly) in a 308/328 comparison article. I think Robinson lives back in Australia now.

Geez I know some useless sh*t.

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Cropley took over from Mel in SCW and then also took over from Mel again in the UK Car magazine I think

18. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I'm going to disagree with Andrew for once. I have really enjoyed reading all of Paul Frere's writings. I particularly enjoyed "My Life Full of Cars" and a must read, "Starting Grid to Chequered Flag."

I find Paul's writing enjoyable in the same way I enjoyed the efforts of Dennis Jenkinson. They just told their car experiences in plain English, without the adjectival overload that one experiences with the crap written by most journo's these days. I do find Autocar tolerable, the only magazine I subscribe to actually. The rest I buy as I find something interesting, which is not often.

Regards,

Carl.

19. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    That's a hard one Filly, how about 1!

Regards,

Carl.

20. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    What is the EXACT model designation - 4 points
    What is unusual about the body panel material - 2 points
    Who is the designer 1 point

ATM, Giovanni = 10, AndrewWA = 10, Carl = 5, RMV = 2 (com' on RMV - where are ya), 360C = 6, Moretti = 2.

Renschy - you must have heaps of time, now that you have been bought out :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Filly,

250 GT

The sills and roof are stainless steel

Bertone.

21. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Cheers Carl, it's back on the list. :)

Yeah, um, sorry about that! :D

22. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    HaHaHa - you dag F40LM GTC - Yes I was driving down the main drag at PI, with Jools in the car beside me, when in the rear view mirro what do I see .... A big red PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD trying to overtake. Well it finally did so by turn 1, and as it went past (lapsing into motoring journo phraseology)

"I thought my god, my god, I have been passed by an F40, and it would'nt even suck the froth of a milkshake !!"

Merry Xmas Gil, and to the beautiful Jilliane - Julie sends her love to you both ..... and says I am very unkind

23. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Hoi, wot's goin' on - no hijacking the thread, start your own book discussion ..... OK ... :)

Alright:
    Giovanni and JM get 4 for 250 GT SWB Bertone Berlinetta Competition Speciale.

Giovanni, JM and Cyril get only 1 for stainless steel roof or aluminium body panels. Would have got 2 for both - tough are'nt I ??

Giovanni, Carl, RMV, JM get 1 for Bertone

So Giovanni = 16, AndrewWA = 10, Moretti has leapt up with 2 for Lambo Countach from other thread plus 6 here = 10, Carl = 7, 360C = 6, RMV = 3 ..... Dingo = -2 :)

That'll do for before Xmas - have merry Xmas everyone. Be back after Xmas

24. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    Just briefly harking back to books - been too busy selling them the last few days to log on... Carl is quite fair about Paul Frere's book, I guess I just expected it to be a bit more 'lively' than I found it. Jenks was factual, but entertaining along the way as well.
    I've got some pics to post of suitable cars, when I get some quiet time I'll try and get them into the system for all of you to check out. In the meantime, Merry Christmas and a profitable new year to you all!
    Andrew

25. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    Forgot to mention that Moto-Technique in the UK has an interesting thing going on their website at the moment charting the rebuild of a 250GTO. Check it out at www.mototechnique.com
    You think your parts and repair bill for your car is expensive...would hate to see the GTO bill, but I guess as a percentage of the car value, it would be relatively small!