Know your Ferrari - with a prize | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Know your Ferrari - with a prize

Discussion in 'Australia' started by creafield, Nov 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    whatver happened to the 625 F1 car at Gilltrap's ??

I use to drive to the Coast every other weekend to sit in that car and then Gilltrap's folded and all the cars disappeared.

Gilltrap's was at Dreamworld for a while and then moved to Broadbeach

I remember Gilltrap's being in trouble for selling cars on consignment or something similar out of Broadbeach but thought that got cleared up

I must track down the photo of that car

2. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    yes, please do. is the early 212 that was at duttons still around? it too was in the historic garage at last years melbourne gp. nice looking classic that one

3. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    #103 AndrewWA, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Long since gone to Europe (for ZFFGJ34B000085943 and much cash)

Cheers
    Andrew in NZ

5. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I beleive I've got it :)

Ferrari 1512

6. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    At the risk of being shot as an outsider.... 158 F1

Cheers
    Andrew in NZ

7. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    hmm.. Andrew, I had a look at the 158, but I'll stick with the 1512 :)

Some of those cars you guys have mentioned are pretty impressive...
    the first Ferrari F1 win is something special, and the 625 looks a classic!

I think I saw the 156/85 F1 at Eastern Creek a couple of years ago during a gap in the AROCA 6 hour relay race. I'll have to see if I got a photo.

I remember thinking it looked pretty small, I guess in comparison to the modern F1 cars.

8. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    #108 AndrewWA, Jan 12, 2006
    Ok 328gtsfan - you got the name of the car right, now how about more details?
    Year?
    Chassis number (well, that's a bit 'flexible' I guess) ?
    How many built?
    why the colour scheme?
    Drivers?
    Debut race?
    See how you go everyone - I'll be back tomorrow to check your scores!
    Meanwhile here's another pic of it. The exhuasts were the giveaway I think!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Greetings AndrewWA

Interesting that I just happened to have Cavallino (45)opened showing the Jack Setton Collection. It showed the amazing exhausts ... on 0009 (car painted red)
    So - I agree with Greg a 1512 - the V12 version of the 1.5litre series. a 156 is a V6 and a 158 is a V8.

Now if the Setton one is red and is 0009, and is 1965, according to my sources that leaves 2.

Now I know that you went to Monterey in 2005. Soooo checking whether there was a 1512 in Monterey (google 1512 Monterey) .... lo and behold we have a 1512 sold by Christies for $1,115,000 USD, in NART colours with NART emblem - Now why NART colours??

Then it is just staight googling

Ferrari had lost its homologation for 1964 because of the 250LM fiasco - so the first 1512 (0007) was in NART colours, with the NART emblem on side, entered by Chinetti.

Watkins Glen was first race with Bandini late '64, then Mexico with Bandini.

Chassis # 0007 I would suspect as it was the first of only 3 1512's

HOWEVER the car at MONTEREY in 2005 was #0008 .... WTF!!! .... which was an official Ferrari, first raced by Surtees at the German Grand Prix at the 'Ring (after watching the Sabine video how did he do it when sitting in a single seater 6cm off the ground??) - Why in NART colours??

Sooooo more googling .....AhHa ... Chinetti bought 0008 back, had it repainted in NART colours, and THIS was the car sold at Monterey.

So 0007 is the first 1512 ... correctly in NART colours. 0008 is the second should be red, but is now in NART colours, and 0009 is red ... still with Setton ???

BTW EnzoNZ you are more than welcome. Your prize would be a bottle of the best Champagne IN THE WORLD - Pelorus 1996, from Cloudy Bay in the Marlbrough Sound. Even the NV is great.

BBTW Andrew what happened to the 365 GTC #12729 owned by the late Tim Bailey - still in Auckland?? If you recall we had discussions about this car in 2001.

BBBTW - Moretti - I don't know why the car has a double bubble, that is for you to work out :):):)

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Pretty good drop; but a bit of a stretch to the best outright ;)
    NZ does have some fabulous wines that come from that region, no doubt about it.

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Phil, I told you it was because of the twin cam covers on some models but was still there on some others for no apparent reason :D

12. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    #112 AndrewWA, Jan 13, 2006
    Whooo - I think Phil won that one!
    I'll dig up some more pics over the weekend. We'll have to ban google I think! The car was in relatively 'used' but tidy condition. Would need a fair bit of reconditioning to get back to race trim, but I bet it would sound nice! Got some more pics of it that I'll dig up for those interested.

To hark back to 328gtsfan, I forgot to mention the 250 SWB of the Smoker family in SA. Last one family owned SWB in the world perhaps? Dean Smoker passed away late last year, but I assume the family will keep it. There is also a 250TdF in Qld I gather? That and the Comp 275GTB are probably the most 'desireable' early cars in the country now. Hopefully there will be some of them out at the David Mckay Memorial Rally in Feb. I hear rumours of 5-6 275s, 8-9 Daytonas and even a couple of 250 Lussos. Should be good to see!

13. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #113 creafield, Jan 14, 2006
    Ok this is just a quicky.

I am going to the UK to have a look at this car. As some would know I have been hot to buy a 330/365 GTC for a long time. This 250 GTO replica is also for sale at the price of a good F40 - 175 GBP.

Now I am no GTO expert, however I cannot tell the difference on this car externally or internally from a suite of photos I have from this car.

It is one of I believe 6 Lefavre (sp?) replicas and has an original gearbox and diff (I have been told). It has a 330 motor uprated to produce the horsepower of a 4L GTO and in the photos of the engine bay - knowing it was a replica -something became immediately obvious

I have no "original" photos, however I have taken 1 photo from the web-site of the seller and put it here.

For 3 points what is the obvious thing, that in hindsight could be changed to make it perfect.

Phil

BTW the car landed at Sydney will cost approx $542K

BBTW - As my good wife said - "it sounds right, it drives right, BUUUTTT but it is not the real thing".

BBBTW - I say I will NEVER be able to own the real thing and after seeing the GTO's in Monterey in '04 they are as good as they say.

14. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Where is that, not in WA I assume?

15. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The carburettor(s)?
    Different height and the barrels aren't touching.

The car looks very nice.. good luck shopping :)

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hi Phil. I think that might be that Jamirique (sp) "rock star" fella's car that has been for sale for yonks and yonks?

I am sure that I am not telling you anything you don't already know; but the Favre GTO's were not all created equal. Apparently some are exceptional and some are well, less than exceptional. Sheehan tracks 250 GTO replica's, perhaps he might answer a query from you? Sheehan wrote an article on replica's in Sports Car Market a few issues back. He went into the 250 GTO's as I recall. There might be something on his website under "articles" as well.

At the price you mentioned, I guess you are paying LCT and all the rest.

I saw the 250 GTO replica that we have here in Melbourne recently. To be polite, it's a 20ft car if you know what I mean. If you are going to buy a replica, make sure it is a REALLY good one. I am not sure how the long term values stand up either, especially if you pay all the Aussie taxes.

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #117 moretti, Jan 14, 2006
    true 328 the carb trumpets aren't siamesed but I think the 3 lugs on the cam covers aren't standard without cheating by looking at the books or google (you are the google king after all :))

I know if I get JP's book out I'll know straight away but I'm trying to get some of the brain cells back from the years of drinking :)

So I'd say change the cam covers first and siamese the trumpets next.

BTW Phil, if you buy this I am driving down for a ride , I'll never be able to afford the $14M I think the last one went for (and that was USD if I recall) and I nearly wet myself when I saw this replica at Crystal Cove in LA :

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #118 moretti, Jan 14, 2006
  19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That particular car isn't a bad one. MC offered that one to me about 12mths ago for $350k US. I have lots of pics of it somewhere.
    FYI it got crunched in a pretty big way and Moto Technique did the repair and put it on their web site:

http://www.mototechnique.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=0&pos=-10

20. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #120 moretti, Jan 14, 2006
    I thought the rear end let it down

21. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

FM, a riced out bloody 250 GTO !!

22. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    sad really, the rest of the car was so nice and then you see this !!!

bloody shame :(

23. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #123 moretti, Jan 14, 2006
  24. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yeah baby! Brandon Wang's car I believe. Forza magazine did a test on it with a 360 Spider a while ago.

25. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John

1715GT chassis#

read the article and remember everyone wanting the 250 :)