Known Exotics in Iowa | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Known Exotics in Iowa

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Rytt, Apr 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shadeone

shadeone Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Richfield, MN
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    some of the most rare exotics can be found in some of the most remote farmland areas... theres a guy up in Bismark, North Dakota of all places, that owns TWO Vector W8s...

I wouldnt be surprised if there as an enzo down there somewhere...

shade

2. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
  3. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa
    Two days ago i saw a brand new bentley continental gt speed pulling off of 142nd street.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Pull someone else's leg for a while ---- mine are long enough. :)

5. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    If it's red, it lives on Kingman Boulevard --- and is owned by a notorious local drug dealer.

6. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa
    Nope this one was black with red interior. I have seen the red one a couple times and i can see the owner being a drug dealer. Also today i went to get my haircut and i saw a Maserati GranTurismo and i was able to sit in it. Quite stunning i must say.

7. Rytt

Rytt Karting
    BANNED

Apr 14, 2009
    I-town
    Full Name:
    Badda-Boom
    saw it at car-X with a flat tire a while back. brown interior, must have driven it through some puddles, muddy water on the fenders, plates referring to something Canadian?

8. Rytt

Rytt Karting
    BANNED

Apr 14, 2009
    I-town
    Full Name:
    Badda-Boom
    Here are some of the exotic cars i know are in Iowa

yellow 512TR seen in the Hobby Haven parking lot ( Polk plates said "mag", or "magnum" i cant really remember)
    red 308 GTSI in West Des Moines (Polk plates)
    orange Diablo ( seen 2 times, owner lives near Clive?)
    dark green Bentley Arnage Red Label ( seen at a Hawkeye game)
    308 GTSi - Black
    355 GTB - Silver
    Lotus Esprit V8 - Silver
    550 Maranello - Red
    550 Maranello - Silver
    (2X) TR - Red
    Lambo Diablo - Violet, aka Purple
    Mosler - Blue
    (3X) 430 Spider - 2 Red, 1 unknown
    Maser Coupe - Blue
    Maser Q-Porte - Silver
    Maser Gran Turismo - Black
    Aston Martin DB9 - Silver
    green lotus espirit
    Murci
    Diablo
    F430
    SLR
    Gallardo
    Maybach
    Red Ferrari Testarossa
    Maroon Maserati Quattroporte
    Red Ford GT
    Ferrari F430 spyder w/ black rims--sweetest car i have seen
    Black Aston Martin DB9
    orange elise
    maroon bent gt (drug dealer)
    black bent gt speed
    countless Viper's ( a few in carroll ;) )

rumored exotics

silver Rolls Royce Phantom

Saleen S7

9. Rytt

Rytt Karting
    BANNED

Apr 14, 2009
    I-town
    Full Name:
    Badda-Boom
    any1 know how to edit my first post? it will only let me do it to the last 2 posts

10. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #35 ddemuro, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
    I've been curiously following this thread since it was started and have seen it grow from the surprising to what's now the truly ridiculous. Multiple F40s, an F50, a 288 GTO, and a Daytona Spider in Iowa? A Mosler? An SLR? Maybachs? Where do these people get their cars serviced?

Some time ago, I searched on F-chat in this section for "Iowa" and two useful results popped up: a thread asking if there were other owners in Iowa (which was months old and had no replies) and a thread with photos of a Maserati GranTurismo with Iowa plates - such a curiosity that it had two pages of replies.

Before this goes any further, does anyone happen to have photos of any of these cars residing in Iowa? I realize Des Moines is a relatively large place, but I've been spotting cars for four years now and in two of the largest American metro areas and have never seen a few of the cars claimed to be in Iowa!

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #36 2NA, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been thinking the same thing.

Threads like this are worthless without pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

roverse3 likes this.
  12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #37 finnerty, Apr 26, 2009
    Exactly. How practical would it be to have your car flat-bedded to Minneapolis, Kansas City, or Chicago everytime you need an oil change :p ???

I posted that photo of the GT after seeing it parked next to me downtown one afternoon --- so that's ONE :)
    In theory, I can get photos of all the cars mentioned on my earlier list ---- and as I get the opportunity, I will post more pics.

No, it's not. Plus, there could be a million people living here, and Des Moines would still be a SMALL TOWN --- if you know what I mean. It has never been, and never will be a "car town", either.

I couldn't agree more. Most of these claims are not only unsubstantiated ----- they are also completely unreasonable. AND, if there IS an F40, F50, or 288 in Iowa ----- I will fly to California, kiss the @ss of the poster who claimed these cars were here, and post pics of the gesture on F-chat!!!!!

13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #38 2NA, Apr 26, 2009
    I have served customers from farther away than Des Moines but I am not familiar with any cars in Iowa.

Be careful what you promise to do :D however I agree that this thread is mostly BS.

14. shadeone

shadeone Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Richfield, MN
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    dont know where chicago, iowa is but this is a pic of an enzo:
    http://exoticspotter.com/list.php?page=0&batch=bt00020/bt00020_5650.jpg&model=all&make=all&location=all&loc=iowa

there was a silver saleen s7 spotted in mn as well so it could be an iowa car:
    http://exoticspotter.com/list.php?page=0&batch=bt00092/bt00092_241511.jpg&model=all&make=all&location=all&loc=minnesota

there was also a ferrari f40 that used to reside in mn but i believe was sold to a "neighboring state".... hmmm
    http://exoticspotter.com/list.php?page=0&batch=bt00048/bt00048_84390.jpg&model=all&make=all&location=all&loc=minnesota

the green lotus esprit V8 that i posted the pic of earlier drove up from where he was in iowa to have his car serviced at the jaguar/range rover/lotus dealer off of 394...

think about it. you have a million dollars to buy an enzo... it would be mere pocket change to have a car trailered somewhere to have it worked on... and also, just because they own an exotic doesnt mean they are on ferrarichat... there are many exotic owners ive talked to who were like "WTF is that?"... not everyone is computer nerds like us...

im not disagreeing with you guys, im just saying, there are rich people everywhere and the fact that the state is IOWA doesnt mean that there cant be some super rarities there... just because something isnt seen doesnt mean its not out there...

shade

15. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #40 Huskerbill, Apr 26, 2009
    Regarding the questions around the servicing of the vehicles......

Yes, the owners on the east side of Iowa that I know (I know 3 of them on the east side) do one of 3 things....

1. Oil Change - Can be done by the past FCA President (Paul Swartzel) who works on his own cars

2. Oil Change/Total Rebuild - A race shop in Dubuque who has worked on many of the members cars

3. Major service - Again, Paul can do it or the guys have had their cars flat bedded to Lake Forest Sports Cars in Chicago

You sure you want to do that?

My friend, I am not going to be specific with a name on here but I can tell you that there is a gentleman in Iowa that owns......

F40 (2)
    F50
    288GTO
    Testarossa
    one other I forgot (I think it was a 348)

So, many of the cars I mentioned were/are owned by the SAME person. They are ALL red and he has shown me a picture of them parked in a semi-circle in his driveway. I have personally helped him close his back engine cover on his F40 on one of our meets (I held the lid while he put the supporting rod down).

Tell you what.......If you guys want to see some Ferraris in Iowa, head over to little St. Donatus, IA in about a month (check the FCA newsletter for a date) and you will see quite a few Ferraris there. Pretty sure you will see a Testarossa, 355 Spyder, 250 GTO recreation (built on a Ferrari 250GTE platform and worth over $300k), a Ferrari Daytona, a new 430 (with the Daytona seat inserts) and I few others I have heard are coming down from Minneapolis. And maybe if you come from the west, you may get passed by an F40 heading there, as it has in the past.

Like I said, you just aren't hanging out with the right crowd.......

16. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Considering that what is probably a substantial percentage of Ferrari enthusiasts in Iowa have already posted in this thread, I'd say it's the owner of those cars who's not hanging out with the right crowd. :D

17. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa
    i believe that some of the cars on here are crap. a maybach or slr in des moines i really dont think so but i have seen the silver rolls royce phantom out in the waukee area so i can tell you that one is true. i had a picture of it on my other phone but i will post pictures of all the cars i see from now on.

18. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

You're probably right. Neither the owner of those cars or our group knew about each other. The owner found out about our group after he contacted the FCA and showed up in his F40 the first time in St. Donatus. Many of us were like "Who the heck is that and where have he and his car been hiding". And he was like "Man, I have to get out with you guys more now that I know there are others out here."

I think that probably happens a lot in Iowa, Wisconsin, etc.

19. Rytt

Rytt Karting
    BANNED

Apr 14, 2009
    I-town
    Full Name:
    Badda-Boom
    Id say most arent driven that much, maybe 2 seasons out of the year ;)

20. Rytt

Rytt Karting
    BANNED

Apr 14, 2009
    I-town
    Full Name:
    Badda-Boom
    Yea, i knew there was a ferrari club here, but i never really heard of any meetings.

21. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    It's right across the border from "Des Moines, Illinois" -- LOL
    I'm just teasing you.... That's a typo ----- They meant to say Chicago, Illinois....

22. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #47 finnerty, Apr 26, 2009
    I am going to try to keep an "open mind" about the existence of certain exotic cars, mutilated cattle, and flying saucer landing sites in Iowa.

While I don't like to accuse anyone of BS without proof, I am going to have to see the Iowan F40, F50, and 288 for myself before I will believe ------ and, I hope I do!!! Sure will be a nice change from the minivans and pickup trucks I see here mostly....

23. Enzo1267

Enzo1267 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2008
    +1 there are more owners then you would think

24. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    The Maybach, Murci, Gallardo, F430, and SLR are cars I have personally seen in Clinton, IA. but I'd rather not post the names of the owners nor their license plates (they all have vanity plates).

25. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'm not really sure why anyone cares but it's all just talk without pictures.