Known Exotics in Iowa | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Known Exotics in Iowa

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Rytt, Apr 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
  2. ryan311

ryan311 Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2007
    Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #78 finnerty, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    LMAO!

5. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa
    this past weekend i saw a bmw z8 and a mosler mt 900s i believe..i have pictures on my phone but am having trouble getting them onto the computer...and lets see that f50

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #81 finnerty, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009

And, for the record, you can cross numbers 2 & 3 off this list ---- They were transported along to Montreal last week :p

7. shadeone

shadeone Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Richfield, MN
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    *cough*PICS*cough*

shade

8. FerrariEnzoChicago

May 9, 2009
    There was a silver 308 at a des moines car dealership a year ago.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #84 finnerty, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    I don't have a problem sharing the previously posted pics of my 308. But, I'm certainly not going to publish pics of other personal cars randomly on the internet ---- especially while my name and location have already been disclosed. That's just a matter of simple security and privacy.

It's not my fellow members here at F-chat that are of concern, but anyone with an internet connection can read posts on this site :)

Plus, as I mentioned, the Esprit and the 355 have already left Des Moines ---- so, they don't merit a place in this thread anymore :)

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #85 2NA, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    I didn't see anything on the list that would likely attract international car thieves. A few photos of cars on public streets would be fine, just like in thousands of other posts here.

Your profile mentions Colorado/Montreal, we're talking Iowa here. ;)

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    True. But, (3) in one place (with a specific address) might be interesting to someone :) And, yes I am accustomed to being in large Metropolises with higher crime rates ---- so, applying that caution to Des Moines is probably unnecessary. Aside from the fact that Iowa was the "meth capital" of the country a short while back!!!

And, trust me Tim --- you might have a different opinion if they were your cars :)

12. shadeone

shadeone Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Richfield, MN
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    i meant the pics we are all waiting for of the f50 and f40 and other superexotics at the ferrari club meeting ;)

shade

13. 04GCAR

04GCAR Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Madison
    How about showing some photos or just end the thread, enough talk.

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004

Oh...

15. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    With each passing day, I think we all get the feeling that won't be occurring.

16. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa
    today i saw a ferrari f40 pulling onto the highway by living history farms and just about crapped my pants..it was the most amazing thing i have ever seen in my life. i also saw a red and white ford gt40 at a graduation party i went to. again sorry for no pics i was driving when i saw the f40 and didn't even think about taking pics of the gt40

17. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #92 Huskerbill, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009

You know me (I was Madison with the 328 and stopped by the clinic once or twice). You also know the guy (Stan) who is sending me the pics. You know I am not one to make stuff up.

I will have them by Tuesday. Stan said he would send them and he hasn't yet. I just haven't had the time to follow up with him on it. I will Monday.

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Did you notice the plates? What state were they?

19. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Also, be aware that there are F40 kits out there....

20. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa
    I was unable to catch a glimpse of the plates but my friend said that he also saw the car yesterday and was driving right behind it so i will ask him and get back to you.

21. BluMalago

BluMalago Karting

Jan 18, 2007
    #96 BluMalago, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    I hate to break it to you, but that Saleen is definitely not in America, let alone Iowa/Minnesota. If you look at the background on the right you can see a beige Lada sedan (a Russian car not sold in America) and the left hand side of the page you can see a silver hatchback the looks European (Peugeot?). Plus the visible license plates are too wide. Surprised no one else picked that up.

22. deville94

deville94 Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    #97 deville94, May 17, 2009
  23. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #98 Huskerbill, May 26, 2009
    And I quote.........

"I couldn't agree more. Most of these claims are not only unsubstantiated ----- they are also completely unreasonable. AND, if there IS an F40, F50, or 288 in Iowa ----- I will fly to California, kiss the @ss of the poster who claimed these cars were here, and post pics of the gesture on F-chat!!!!!" - Finnerty 4/26/09 9:06am

Pucker up Finnerty!!!!!!!!! What airline will you be flying?????? ;-)

Like I said, if you guys had just gone to tiny little St. Donatus, IA you would have seen quite a few Iowa Ferraris. To prevent any thinking that this isn't St. Donatus, Iowa, I have included a picture (#2) that has a woman in it. In picture #4, she is standing under the St. Donatus Auto Body sign!! Thought I would add that for the skeptics!! ;-)

And, yes, they are ALL Iowa Ferraris.........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. shadeone

shadeone Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Richfield, MN
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    F50.
    OMFG

beautiful.

25. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #100 finnerty, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    I'm a bit confused................... So, I'll offer the following multiple choice question about the "F50" in that photo:

This car is one of the following:

A) Not a Ferrari F50 --- rather, it is a kit / replica on a "non-Ferrari" chassis VIN
    B) Not currently registered in the state of Iowa ---- either registered in another state or not registered at all (or registration has expired)
    C) Registered (being used) illegally in the state of Iowa ---- meaning that is displaying an Iowa registration / license plate which is assigned to a different vehicle

The only other (very remote) possibility is that this car is owned by an entity immune from "public" DOT / DMV regulation --- this would include: Foreign Diplomats, Foreign agencies with temporary transport authorization in the US, and Government / Public Service offices (e.g., Fire, Emergency Services, Police, Military, and certain Departments / Agencies of the Federal or State Government).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's the source of my confusion ---

Out of curiosity, a few weeks ago I asked a contact of mine at the Polk County, Iowa DMV to run a statewide screen for all Iowa registered VIN's beginning with "ZFF". For your reference, "ZFF" VIN's include all Ferraris (and only Ferraris) made after 1981. It contains (23) items. Due to privacy restrictions, each item is listed only as "VIN = ZFFxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Model Designation = (the manufacturer's model name is indicated)" ---- no complete VIN's, no names, no locations, no vehicle color.

So, according to this list, there are 23 Ferraris (made in 1981 or later) currently registered in the state of Iowa for use on public roads. While it is possible to have the "Model Designation" category of a vehicle registration left blank, I should note that there is a recognizable Ferrari model name listed for each of the 23 entries ---- none are blank. The most exotic (i.e., expensive / rare) model on this list is an "F430" (of which, there is more than one appearing :) ). There are also a few 550 Maranellos --- but, in today's market, the 430 is worth more $$$.

The trouble is, there are no "F50's", "F40's", "288GTO's" on this list :)