Known Exotics in Iowa | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Known Exotics in Iowa

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Rytt, Apr 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    :rolleyes:

No, the trouble is we're supposed to believe you over the photos. I talked to Larry Dawley who was at the event, a Ferrari owner himself, and the car is real. Now you're scrambling because you've been proven wrong. By your own admission there are "23 items" assuming your "contact" actually ran the search.

By the way, are you willing to provide your contact's name so we know you're not full of it?

2. BAM

BAM Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #102 BAM, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    you would be suprised at the number of the exotic/ultra lux. cars that I see come through our shop that have out of state plates. So even though your search was a good idea and sort of sheds some light on this, It really means nothing.

I guess the birds can start flying right side up in Iowa now....even though they shouldnt.

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #103 finnerty, May 26, 2009
    I provide no assurances that the DMV info provided to me was either 100% complete or 100% accurate --- it's just what was made available at the time. And, I'm not saying there's not an F50 in Iowa ---- I simply wasn't able to document it, with the limited resources available to me.

Looks like there were a lot of people at that event --- and some folks know some folks. Aside from what appears to be a Corvette with an Iowa front plate, those pics don't show any plates on any of the F-cars. Why don't you ask around... I'm sure someone has a shot of the back of the F50, right?

My information doesn't prove there isn't an F50 in Iowa --- and those photos don't prove that there is, either...

There are alot of cars in the US which aren't registered in typical fashion --- doesn't mean they don't exist.

4. BAM

BAM Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    this makes me think of "Joe Dirt".

5. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #105 finnerty, May 26, 2009
    What in the world would that possibly mean to you? Do you know anyone who works down there? If so, get them to run the same search for you and compare it to mine. If not, why don't I give you the name of my Dentist, instead? ---- seems equally relevant.

Before you resort to drawing rash conclusions and making accusations, you should appreciate the difference between a "claim" and a "proven claim". You don't need to waste your time trying to read-between-the-lines of what I posted, either. The car not being "real" was only offered as one possibility ---- several others were mentioned. And, if you read with your brain (instead of your assumptions) what I posted, you will notice that I didn't accuse anyone of being wrong or spouting BS. I simply stated that the DMV records I found don't show an F50 (or an F40, or a 288, or even a 612 or a 599 for that matter) currently registered in Iowa ---- nothing more, nothing less. I drew no conclusions nor made any assumptions beyond that.

Now, if you wish to interpret that somehow as I am "full of it" and that I am asserting that people (whom I have never even met!) are liars, well I guess that's you prerogative.... but, it does seem a bit irrational...

And, yes, it does puzzle me that DMV records don't agree with people's claims ---- in the same way that it puzzles me why occasionally someone doesn't execute a turn at an intersection when their turn signal is on! It's simply inconsistent information --- nothing more...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Furthermore, I'm very confident that anyone following this thread (and that can't be too many :) ) who actually gives a fat rat's ass can make up their own minds and choose what they believe ------

A) There IS an F50 in Iowa
    B) There is NOT an F50 in Iowa
    C) There is not enough conclusive evidence either way

And, for the record ----- My personal choice is "C".
    So, don't accuse me of aligning with "B" and get offended because you think I implied your buddy (or anyone else) was a "liar" ----- because I did not do so.

6. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It means a lot less to me than it does to you. You've posted 35 times in this topic alone! And you go contact an Iowa Government employee to run a DMV check, allegedly! :eek:

I don't need the name of your Dentist because he/she has nothing to do with this discussion. If you can, simply provide the name of the "contact" at the DMV since that's the anonymous person you hold up as relevant to this matter and as providing some sort of evidence to support your position.

Cheers! :)

7. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Huskerbill Mooney is one of the most friendly and classy people you can meet off of fchat. His experiences with the Ferrari world are not limited to stories that start "I know a guy," or having to check his digital camera's vast pic bank. If you haven't talked to him via pm already Finnerty, you will eventually find that he is very laid back and not one to brag. When he stated he knew of a few out west I was waiting for Husker to back it up or someone else with tangible proof other than me chiming in saying, I know of one too.

I do know of a few Ferrari owners out of Iowa as well. Not one to name drop but to be honest I can't even remember their names as I met them in Illinois. I recall LFSC's ad a few years ago even showing their trucking services out to MN and Iowa or simply west. When I was in Chicago my dealer was shocked I would drive my own cars in to the shop instead of having Pro Towing pick them up, despite the fact I was less than 30 min away. So out of state people would only make sense even for what seems the most simple task. When I used to drive a lot I even considered zipping out to this meet which was featured in FCA's newsletter I think.

Mike575 is also one of the most friendly people you can converse with and Im suprised he has not shown a pic of a client he has not helped out who has a Ferrari. But that's not really their style to get into an Oscar Mayer measuring bit. The only thing I find a bummer about this whole thread is that both Bill and Mike did not drop pics of their cute wives to throw an exclimation point on thier car points. My fav is one of a cute brown haired girl in a new 430. But as I stated they're not one to brag and there are definitely some Ferraris out in Iowa. Some who's owners have a lot more than just a new V8 or whatever recent supercar (F50, Enzo) out of Maranello. Don't really know or care what plates they have but know they're out west.

8. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #108 ddemuro, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    Fake! They're all fake! :)

Thanks for the photos, Huskerbill! I stand corrected, and somewhat amazed. And while I whole-heartedly agree with finnerty that there's probably a bit more going on here than a car owned, registered, and operated in Iowa, the important bit is that there are photographs of a Ferrari F50... in Iowa. Who the hell could've guessed that?! Except of course for Huskerbill, who knew all along... :)

By the way, I would love to see a shot of the plates on the F50. Not necessarily just to confirm that it's an Iowa registration (though I kind of get the feeling it isn't), but - if it did have Iowa plates - because I think it would be astonishing to see Iowa plates ... on a Ferrari F50.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I have exchanged a few PM's with him... Have I stated anything negative about him? I don't get your point...

You are talking to one :) Again, what's your point? Did I say there were no Ferraris in Iowa?

Most "friendly" people I know don't introduce themselves by claiming that someone they have never met is "full of it".

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #110 finnerty, May 27, 2009
    Indeed --- as I have said all along, that would be cool to see :)

I'm no longer active in the FCA --- haven't been for years. But, if someone in the Des Moines area is, how about organizing a meet in Des Moines sometime this summer? If some folks are willing to drive their cars from "out west" (which I take to mean, somewhere west of Des Moines) all the way east to St. Donatus, surely they can make the much shorter (200 miles less) trip to Des Moines?

It would be nice to meet some Midwest Ferrari folks while I'm here briefly :)
    BILL ---- If you're ever in town, shoot me a PM, and we can get together and swap Esprit stories :)
    MICHAEL ---- Well, I suppose if you're willing to tone down your demeanor, I'll pretend as though it would be nice to meet you, too :)

11. 04GCAR

04GCAR Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Madison
    This thread conti. to be a pissing match, can't we just end it? We all know there are Ferrari's in Iowa, we should be happy for these people. That, they can and do enjoy their ownership, the ability to drive these great cars and thank them for showing some.

12. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK, I'll do my best. Anytime you're in Wisconsin or Illinois please look me up! btw, FCA International Meet at Road America July 29 to August 2 this year.

No hard feelings. :)

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    A. A kit car?? Do you really think I would put a kit car on the site and pass it off as real? Come on.....

B. Registered? Not sure. I dont actually have a pic of the tail end WITH the license plate. I do, however, have one of the rear end just above the license plate of the car with driver and a nice corn field in the background. So I can't remember if it is registered. Don't remember if his F40 is registered either. I would guess they are.

C. No chance in hell that this owner would risk doing that.

The owner is not foreign or any of the other vocations you mentioned.

Just curious......did the 430 and 550 you mentioned show up under the same owner? Cause one guy in Iowa I just talked to yesterday owns both of those cars.......in addition to a Daytona.

14. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Out of respect to the owner of that car, I can't give out any information or even a pic of the plates (of which I don't even have). I can however put you in contact with the Ferrari Club of America Regional President who, if you brought your FCar, would gladly invite you to events where these cars show up regularly.

15. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

If you wanted to rejoin the group, it could probably be arranged for you to drive to the FCA National meet with the group (including the F50 which isn't far from you).

If I am in town, we certainly would have to swap Esprit stories. Have to say that I LOVE mine. If ever come out to the Monterey shows (Concorso, Pebble, etc.) let me know and I'll buy you a glass of wine, beer, whatever.

16. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Your first problem is that you were talking to Dawley!! ;-)

I was just thinking about him yesterday. If you talk to him, tell him Bill says "Hi".

17. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sorry but you lost all credibility after the first sentence. ;-)

Hope all is well man. Been awhile. I will post a pic of the "cute wife" with the new toy I am picking up this week. How is your "cute wife" doing?

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #118 finnerty, May 27, 2009
    Glad to hear it :) and, right back at 'ya !!

And, don't let my "aggressive skepticism" fool all of you ----- I'm actually one of the nicer people you'll ever meet (at least that's what my Mother used to tell people) :p

If anyone is in the Des Moines area and sees someone driving a black 308 with a temporary registration sticker, that will be me ---- please feel free to flag me down, as I'd be more than happy to talk Ferrari with you !

19. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #119 finnerty, May 27, 2009
    I was merely listing ALL the objective possibilities --- wasn't trying to imply that any one of them was more likely than any of the others. And, from the photos --- that car looks to be genuine. I also followed with a post to mention another possibility (which I neglected to include with the original set) ---- that the DMV info I had may not be 100% accurate or complete.

Interesting --- there were more than one 430 and more than one 550 listed --- and, a friend of mine in Des Moines (J. Olivencia) also has one of each, but no Daytona (that I'm aware of).

As everyone can assume, DMV records are not "public information". The person who supplied them to me is, let's just say, "someone with whom I am enjoying spending time" --- and, since I would like to continue to enjoy spending time with her, I'm not going to put her job position at possible risk by disclosing her name (sorry Michael) :). Frankly, I don't know whether it was kosher to even get the limited info that I did. But, I know it must have been somewhat sensitive because all I got was a list of ZFF prefixes and model descriptions --- no owner names, no complete VIN's, no locations. In fact, my own car (which has a temporary IA registration) showed up on the list, but not even with my details! So, how's that for privacy!?

So, I couldn't tell you whether the person, or his cars, you refer to was on the list ---- even if I had his name.... But, there were (3) 430's and (2) 550's listed :). So, if Olivencia is one of them, and your guy isn't him, that leaves 2 extra 430's and an extra 550 up for grabs!!

20. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #120 575Mike, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Professor! Good to hear from you! Here are three pics of my wife, and wife and 5 year old daughter. Boy, I'm lucky! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'd say.

Well done!

22. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    All good my friend. Time for you guys to get out east. Or start working on Stan Reeg (the FCA Reg Pres) to get something going out in Des Moines.

23. jmusser3r

jmusser3r Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Iowa

Are you ever out in the Waukee area by DMGCC?

24. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #124 finnerty, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
    Almost never. I'm in the Downtown / Waterbury / Roosevelt area, and I very rarely go to the West side --- other than the occasional run to Home Depot which doesn't happen with the Ferrari :).

25. lotusboy

lotusboy Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Madison,Wi.
    Full Name:
    Kevin Geiwitz
    Come to Madison next week for our meet. The Iowa boys and girls will be there. If the F50 comes I will take a pic of the plate. Bill you really need to come HOME.