koenig competition 1.000 hp | Page 4 | FerrariChat

koenig competition 1.000 hp

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by turbo-joe, Apr 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40 LeMans

F40 LeMans Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2009
    #76 F40 LeMans, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
    Well, your words are explaining me that you have the full 1000hp behind your seats as mentioned in the advertisement. I have experience in this kind of parameters especially with my F40s. The yellow Evolution posted on Top Car magazine with 100-200 kph 7.1s should not be able to spinning the rear wheels at 180 kph on dry road.
    It is normal the wheels spinning in 2nd gear on cars that runs around 7 seconds on the 100-200 kph but to do the same wheels spinning in 3rd gear is much more probable when the amount of power can pull the 100-200 kph with the ferocity of a 5.4s parameter like the advertisement claims. At this point I'm 99% sure. Your car seems to be "much faster than a 7.1s" parameter car.

Thanks about your primary drive reduction information. It's changed the ratio between the engine and the gearbox. Would be interesting to know how changed the ratio between the two.

2. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #77 F40 LeMans, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    I want to explain my opinion concerning your problem with the broken primary shaft.

I don't want that the issue was really behind the too high torque of your engine being it the most powerful built. If it has really 1150 Nm of torque we cannot know if primary shaft is really good to tolerate the 15% more for which is developed the transmission system chose by Koenig.

Probably reducing the boost the problem will be circumvented. Who knows if this is the reason whereby Koenig chose a lower specification than the long dyno tested for the engine production. At that period no engine was so powerful and maintain a great transmission safety margin was mandatory for the customer delivery. This is what I thought.

If your car is the most powerful car built, may have been a whim of someone who want research the limit on road even conscious to deal then with mechanical problems.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the problem of the broken shaft as I see it is not the much power or much torque, it is more the suddenly less power/torque when you shift in next gear. because then the shaft will "spring back" and then it will break. hopefully this new shaft now I have will last longer???? :) :)

4. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #79 F40 LeMans, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Coming back to boost pressure on the KCE 1000 system, Mr. Koenig claims to achieve 1000 hp at 1.4 bar. You said me your pressure was setted to 20 psi, that it's exactly how Koenig claims.
    http://img194.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=83526_FERRARI_KOENIG_SPECIAL_EVOLUTION_280_122_201lo.JPG

Pictures on the articles always shown around 1.1 bar the max boost usually achieved on the gauge. This is a very interesting example. These kind of gauges has a system that collect in memory the highest peak of pressure.
    http://img137.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=83431_FERRARI_KOENIG_SPECIAL_EVOLUTION_168_122_1041lo.JPG

This seems to me a proof that usually Evolution were made with a detuned engine specification than the dyno tested before the delivery.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #80 turbo-joe, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    nice new informations ! ! !
    thank you for those links :) :) :)

when my shaft was broken by shifting from 2nd into 3rd I had 1.3 bar boost, so nearly those 1000 hp. and I was driving uphill about 13 %.

the boost gage still shows this 1.3 bar. it is a gage with 2 pointer. the orange one ( just now at 0 ) shows the actual boost. also this pointer takes with the red one, but this red one will still remain on the highest point.

I checked those linked pages a little but can not find how I can read all :( can you please help?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #81 F40 LeMans, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    It is singular that your supercharged system was not setted to achieve full 1.4 bar being claimed as 1000 HP. At this point I'm not sure between 950 or 1000 HP..

Here you can find the article: Scans - Koenig Ferrari Special Evolution

Then.
    http://img150.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=44974_TOP_CAR_211_122_785lo.JPG
    http://img160.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=45022_TOP_CAR_829_122_1096lo.JPG
    http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=45106_TOP_CAR_448_122_1102lo.JPG

Finally.
    http://tuninghistory.com/blog/koenig-specials/298.html

7. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    Dear turbo joe,

I did also a search through Norwood data I have and with a boost adjusted to 1.3 bar, your engine is able to deliver 950 HP.

A question. Could you tell me how long are your gears at the limiter?

Best.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you mean under this? sorry please, don´t understand this question right :(
    could you please specify a little?

9. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #84 F40 LeMans, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
    I'm referring to speed of every gear. At 6800 rpm the stock Testarossa was:

1st = 81 km/h
    2nd = 126 km/h
    3rd = 166 km/h
    4th = 216 km/h
    5th = 289 km/h

It's comprensible that you can have just tachometer data under your eyes, but what do you think are your speeds at "your" (7300 rpm) limiter?

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I really can not say excatly because I don´t know just now at what rpm the limiter works. I remember only at a speed from about 340 to 350 km/h the engine was stottering suddenly. I was so surprised what this could be. first I thaught I have blwon the engine and I put my foot from the gas pedal, watched all gages, but all ok. so I accelerated again and it happened again. but I can not say the rpm when then limiter starts. it has not been 6900. all the ratio in the 5 speed gearbox is identical with the original. only the main gearbox, so those form the clutch to the input shaft to the gearbox is different.

but in 1st to 4th gear I never have been to the limiter or otherwise the engine accelerate so fast that you don´t have time to look on the rpm-meter to see those rpms. that was the reason I have been so much surprised when stottering in 5th.

11. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #86 F40 LeMans, May 20, 2013
    Thanks anyway, your data are enough to estimate something. We have also to consider tires size, stock circumference size was around 2.07 mt, your tires size is around 2.16 mt. The gearing seems to be more than 10-12% longer than stock just with a longer primary drive reduction.
    I understand what you are saying.

12. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #87 F40 LeMans, May 20, 2013
    The old Koenig 512BB/Testarossa brochure seems to say that the transmission used by them was 13% longer than the original. I don't know if Koenig has maintained the same gearing ratio later through Evolution production, though I think yes.

http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/ferrari/testarossa/koenig/05.jpg

So, considering tires size, if 13% longer transmission was right, with a speed of 350 km/h your engine should be around 7000 rpm.

PS. The 1st Testarossa Turbo specification seems to have adjusted at 7500 rpm the limiter. The car achieved 339 km/h with the longer gearing choosed and 345/35 VR 15" for rear tires.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    did koenig made a testrossa with 15 " wheels? I doubt.
    my BB 512 koenig has those 345/35-15, but they have only about 1,95 mtr

I hope end of next week I will get my gears that you all see here what is possible and how easy it is to change the ratio from the primary gearbox.

14. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #89 F40 LeMans, May 20, 2013
    Yes Koenig made the 1st Turbo Testarossa 710 hp generation with these 345/35-15 wheels! The same as the BB 512 Koenig wheels and immediately replaced to 16" just in the front.

http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/ferrari/testarossa/koenig/01.jpg
    http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/ferrari/testarossa/koenig/04.jpg
    http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/ferrari/testarossa/koenig/0203.jpg
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/dae923147811040

With 1.95 mt the circumference was much shorter than the stock size. Koenig replaced to 17" wheels size as soon as the Competition was completed and Pirelli produced the 335/35-17" tires for the F40s and Diablos.

PS. I love the N/A 512 BB Koenig too.

15. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    Anyway I thought Koenig mantained huge differences in tolerances during the production of these engines almost to think that many units were different from each other.

Among the articles that I own, a kind of test seems to be convinced that a blue Competition Cabrio did a 0-200 kph time in low 10 seconds, and on the other side, a yellow Evolution version did it in exactly 11 seconds.

To me this cound be a proof that these engines could be delivered with variables in the power of more than 50 HP without any particular reason.

There is no way that a convertible version can be significantly faster than a coupè being it 200 lbs heavier without a powerful engine consideration.

The Evolution even was developed with a new turbocharged system derived directly from IMSA fitted with wider turbos, concrete evidence that few older engines even were made in wilder specification than the newer one.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the engine itself, so the hardware like pistons, rods, valves, cams and so on have been afaik all the same. but I´m not sure. only the turbos they changed sometimes to test other ECUs. I have good contact to walter koenig and when we talk again I will ask him about this. the ECUs made by lenz only have changed always. that is the problem that nobody except lenz knows what is different. and nobody knows where lenz now is :(. because he did those ECUs not only for koenig.

the first series have had inside wastegates from porsche racecars, later then from audi.

17. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    It will be a good question.

Could be that Lenz developed every single ECU in relation to every single engine, so single parameters may be different each with the other.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that is right ! ! !

every ECU was just "adjusted" for the car where it is in. so you could change those ECU but then the car will not run again so as before.
    I have here a software from lenz to adijust the additional fuel injection and also the timing. also I can adjust the 4 step power boost switch. that is all.

19. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #94 F40 LeMans, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    Even the max boost pressure I think was preset every time (behind customer choice or behind technical advice) on every single unit, this is why your system was setted for higher boost than other being it also not the max boost tested on dyno.

EDIT:

What I don't get is how a Convertible car with a older turbocharged/supercharged engine fitted with smaller Rajay turbos could be as fast as or faster than a "Evolution" system. This imply something like a particular built process case than usual, a special guessed lucky ECU map including higher boost set than usual. No other reason.

This could be a similar case of your car, clear evidence that no car could have been delivered like any other or just some cars were no more as "similar". :)

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the max boost pressure is adjusted by each spring in the wastegates. even without any control those wastegates opens in my car at 1.3 bar. the exhaust gas pressure is so high that those valve in the wastegates open.

the turbos on my car are not those koenig usually uses. they are "2 channel or 2 branch design" not only 1 for the exhaust gases. hope you understand what I mean? those turbos are from a light duty truck the mechanic working once for koenig told me.

problem with the turbos are not only the pressure, it is also the quantity of pressured air. what you need a boost of 1,3 bar when there is not enaugh air coming. so better more air and less pressure, that is also less temperature.

21. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    Sure that I understood. This does means that your turbos has greater flow than they usually used.

This imply that you can have the 1000 hp target again out of your engine, if Koenig claims that figure with higher boost in a lower flow system (I seemed unusual the advertisment was lying :) ).

Michelotto did the same with the F40, using greater flow turbos he garanted more power even just with same boost.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the mechanic how partially worked on my car about 25 years ago told me that only 2 or 3 cars have such bigger turbos. as I mentioned earlier here my car has been the experimental car of koenig and none knows what all has been done or changed on my car. that is also a problem for me because of getting knowlegde why they changed what and because of the reason they changed. on my car have been working so many people that it is nearly impossible to reconstruct all. but also I don´t care about this so much because all the koenig F I think never are in the version today then they have been sold once.

23. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #98 F40 LeMans, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
    It would be great to rebuild the history of your car. On the worldwide magazines Koenig before did appear a Turbo Testarossa with M HS 5884 plates. Then this plates were fitted on a Competition car. I don't know how plates turn in Germany, but seems that Koenig rebuild the Turbo into a Competition car later, making it look like an experimental car. This early car was 99.9% the #55429. Who knows that car was the your?

Here you are a list of Koenig Testarossa chassis number, is it your car into this list? Welcome to Red Headed

Serialnumber Type Colour exterior Colour interior Last known location Remarks
    55429 Testarossa Koenig red black Germany (1992) Converted in 1987
    56303 Testarossa Koenig Competition Evolution II red dark red Germany (2002) Essen show 2000 (Autodromo)
    56527 Testarossa Koenig Competition red - Switzerland (1989) Geneva 1989
    56953 Testarossa Koenig Competition red black USA-TX (2002) -
    64577 Testarossa Koenig Competition red tan Germany (2001) -
    65497 Testarossa Koenig Competition white white USA (2001) -
    67365 Testarossa Koenig Competition - - - -
    67425 Testarossa Koenig Competition black tan USA-FL (2004) -
    70069 Testarossa Koenig black maroon USA-FL (2000) -
    75312 Testarosso Koenig Cabriolet blue cream USA (1989) -
    76119 Testarossa Koenig red tan USA-FL (2004) -
    76305 Testarossa Koenig Competition red black - -
    76967 Testarossa Koenig Competition Evolution II red red Netherlands (2004) -
    77259 Testarossa Koenig yellow white Belgium (1994) -
    78143 Testarossa Koenig Cabriolet yellow black USA-AZ (1997) Geneva 1989, was white
    79236 Testarossa Koenig Cabriolet red brown - -
    79685 Testarossa Koenig Competition - - Germany (1996) Might be a Cabriolet
    81274 Testarossa Koenig Competition Evolution II yellow yellow France (2000) -
    81442 Testarossa Koenig red - Germany (1997) -
    88403 Testarossa Koenig 512 TRs red black Germany (2000) -
    93947 512 TR Koenig yellow black Belgium (2004)

Koenig anyway usually assembled Evolution cars with less aggressive power plants than the your. My search on magazine and boost gauge images give results that announce usually power within 800-850 HP. With these kind of powers the Evolution would not be concretely faster than the Competition except for the gearing ratio chosed.

The blue Koenig Competition Cabrio #75312 was fast because of the short gearing ratio that limited at 195 mph (314 kph) the speed, I just found this information.
    The yellow Evolution I supposed to be #81274.
    I think my father tested on road the #64577 in mid 90's, a red Competition with tan interior was in Italy in that period. When my father tested it I was just a kid, but anyway I asked some question to the owner about his engine. He told me that 1000 hp were just theoretical figures for advertising by the factory but only 800 hp were available on road from these engines.

I hope my info will help you.

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    my car is not on the list
    VIN is 75211

at that time the licence plates stays to the car if it has been registered in the same town but for a new owner. only if the car has been registered in an other town it got new plates and the old ones have been blocked for 6 month before they have given to a new or other car. but if you had good connection to the registration office you could get your old plate back again. but you had to wait 6 month. now it is different and easier to keep your old plates. but without connection you may have trouble to keep.

25. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_fUbGB5D8w]ferrari Testarossa Koenig 1000 cv - YouTube[/ame]

This is a good one. The gas station scene is priceless