Koenigsegg | FerrariChat

Koenigsegg

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FL 355, Oct 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    So yesterday we had a little car show out in Palm Beach and this guy shows up with a black Koenigsegg. To be honest I never heard of it before.

Anybody know anything about the history of the car?

The owener (and the web site) claim it to be the fastest production car in the world - I take issue with that because they only make a handfull of cars per year, therefore are not "production" cars per se.

The 600+ hp car has a top end of 230 and change. The new version (2005) will put out 800+ hp.

Seems to be around the same price as an Enzo...

Appreciate any info / comments..

2. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    coming to australia soon, priced around the $1.5mil mark.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Here's Autocar's roadtest ;

http://www.autocarmag.com/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT=204167

4. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    Amazing car
    There are only about 20 of them in the world
    built on a ford block, but the engine is completely rebuilt
    extremely lightweight and comes in roadster form
    Personally one of my all time favorite cars, even more so than the enzo
    the only thing i would change are the rims

Some history
    comes from sweden
    recently the factory burned down, and it had to be relocated
    amazing car.... check the website for more detail, but here are some pics to keep you occupied

5. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    The CCR puts out 800+ hp currently.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Something was wrong with the car Autocar tested. The engine wasn't under full power. 0-60 in 4.4sec? Top Gear tested it in 2003 and Clarkson declared 0-60 in 3 seconds.

7. mred

mred Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Ed B.
    the black car that Clarkson tested was the one that is at the show. i spoke to the guy who brought the car and he said that the car had already broken the McLaren's speed record at 242 or so and that it was the only car in the U.S.
    he also said that right now there are only three that have been built including a yellow ccr. i am not sure that i heard this correctly because I know of at least four that he mentioned in our conversation.
    before the show on saturday the parking brake assembly exploded and shot a piece of metal through the inside of the Magnesium wheel into the tire. if you saw the gumball movie from 2003, you noticed all of the problems that Arthur had with the silver car. they are hoping to produce and sell 30 in 2005 and he said that they will be street legal in the U.S. (not just show and display). Maybe when they make a few more, the problems that have been seen will be sorted out.
    he also told me that the drag coeficient was .25. does anyone know what it is for the Enzo? the car looked amazing.
    Ed

8. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    where are the pictures, somebody post some of the show please , thanks

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #10 tonyh, Oct 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wednesday 7th April 2004

Koenigsegg Targets 242mph

Swedish supercar maker Koenigsegg is laying claim to the 'fastest production car in the world title' with its new 806bhp CCR. Its claimed top speed of 242mph would eclipse the current holder, the McLaren F1, which achieved 240mph. The CCR is predicted to run to 62mph in just 3.2 seconds.

According to Koenigsegg, the CCR is the 'extreme expression' of the CC and includes changes to the aerodynamics, engine, chassis and brakes.

The key to boosting the 4.7-litre V8 from 655bhp to 806bhp and from 550lb ft of torque to a mammoth 678lb ft
    is a Lysholm twin-screw supercharger, which boosts up to 1.2bar and, it's claimed, offers more low-down urge.

Koenigsegg has designed its own F1-style cylindrical throttle, which it is keeping under wraps for 'patent reasons'. However, the company says the new design greatly increases throttle sensitivity at low-end rpm, while a completely unobstructed flow of air at the top end increases bhp.

The engine also gets a carbonfibre air-intake plenum chamber which is 11kg lighter than a more conventional unit. It's said to improve aerodynamic flow for the intake air and it also houses eight 'very precisely' designed carbon 'trumpets' which lead air into the cylinders. Perhaps most extravagant is a full titanium exhaust system. This is half the weight of a stainless steel set-up and it's claimed the thin-wall tubes produce a very distinctive exhaust note. Custom-made VPS shock absorbers are also fitted. AP Racing developed the huge (362mm) steel brake discs. Koenigsegg has shunned 'trendy' ceramic discs which it says are 'neither as reliable nor subtle as steel'.

Styling revisions include new side air intakes and carbon front splitter - a 'dividing plane' that determines how the airflow splits over and under the car. Koenigsegg says it also provides extra downforce and increases air pressure on the radiator and brake cooling intakes. We'll know in the summer whether the changes have worked when the company takes the CCR to Nardo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. itsarevolution

itsarevolution Karting

Jan 16, 2004
    Westchester / NY
    Full Name:
    Cem O.
    In Gumball 3000, there is a guy with Koenigsegg, and it failed two times I believe, is it the built quality or how he drove it? As far as I know, Enzo and other Ferrari's didnt have any problems whatsoever. So Swiss quality I think not so developed at the moment, correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Ferraris have been given the test of time and even then they've been known to break. [Didn't the 04 Gumball have a guy with an enzo have his 'clutch' die? or for even more recent, talk to Darth :)] The Koenigsegg has how many cars in existence? No more than a 100 I'll safe to be safe. Give them time and they'll get it right :)

13. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    It comes with a removable hardtop, so all of them can be roadsters. The top stows in the front trunk, so if you get caught in rain you can put the top back on (no idea how long or hard it is to but the top on).

The car Autocar drove was the press car...which has seen a lot of test miles at the factory and a lot of abusive miles at the hands of people like Jeremy Clarkson. It is worn, and very likely the engine isn't at full power.

I believe the 242mph speed is merely a claim and has not been verified in any way, the only official record it has set so far is ~230mph at Nardo.

Cd of .25 sounds way too low (not saying it isn't, that just sounds un-naturally low), the Enzo has a Cd of .36, and McLaren F1, .32.

14. FerrariTifoisi#1

FerrariTifoisi#1 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jay

I have some pics of the car from sat. but i need to email them to somebody so they can post them.

Jason

15. gentry

gentry Guest

this car is easily the most amazing vehicle on the planet both performance wise and aesthetically. IMO that is.

16. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 Mike360, Oct 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. McLaren_boy

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Those doors are just amazing...:)

I wonder if that black car is just the orange one re-painted or if its really another car? It looks damn sexy in black!

18. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    I think the Enzo's is only so high because of the downforce it produces. Drag is the square of the downforce or summat... :dunno:

19. McLaren_boy

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Well considering some of the best production cars have in the region of Cd .28, it seems hard to believe a sportscar with huge width and (hopefully) lots of downforce could manage Cd of .25...I could be wrong though. :)

20. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    if you email them to me ill post them for you , my email is [email protected] thanks

and for mclaren boy, there are presently 4 ccrs in existence, the first one was the orange one, shown at the monaco car show(it was sold to a collector with over 80 cars) theres an ice blue one sold to a guy in England (which is in this months evo magazine) the factory show car in sickly yellow (also in evo) and then the sydney car which according to koenigseggs web site was sold to an Aussie (probably the fox collection guy, just my thought)

21. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Gees...did not think so many people would chime in... :)

Yes, he did dent the rim right before the show... He told me the wheel balancing weight came off and jamed itself in the brake caliper, then blew off. Interesting guy....you would never guess he was the owner.

The doors are like nothing else. They tilt on a dime and when open aren't up in the air like a Lambo, but low and turn 90. I was able to lift and close the door with literally one finger... He said at the Paris auto show Lambo exec's were spying on the design.

This particular car looked rough..a lot of cosmetic damage...also missing parts like the side marker light just had a hole on one side. Appears parts for the car are an issue.

I still do not agree with it being a Production Car. The reason I say that, in my former life, I use to teach US Customs Import law. According to the US Harmonized Tariff System and Title 19, a bona fide manufacturer must produce 15 cars within a 12 month period... so I argue this is not a production car...

Interesting car...not completely sold on the design...but the stats are impressive. A search on the web revealed an 04 going for $1.3M U.S.

Thanks for the info everyone..

22. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    If you want to see actual pix of this car check the FL region thread latter today. Barton was there and I'm sure he'll post pix later today (Mon).
    Under Palm Beach Car Show..

23. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Here is a bunch of pics of that car from the show...

http://www.alloutexotics.com/articles/CityPlace.htm

-jt

24. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    The reason that car seemed "ragged on" was because it was the test car for magazines and the EXACT car Jeremy Clarkson drove and drove hard!! It will be at my next car show along with maybe a CCR.

Contact me for info!

-john

25. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    heres one from the site