Kuwait questions: when saddam invaded Kuwait, did he take Ferraris as well as Rolls? | FerrariChat

Kuwait questions: when saddam invaded Kuwait, did he take Ferraris as well as Rolls?

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by bitzman, Jan 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I heard his men took between 80 and 90 Rolls royces and Bentleys, probably
    some right out of the dealership.

But I never heard if the Iraqis took any Ferraris.

I did hear Saddam or his now deceased sons had a Boxer berlinetta
    but that's the only time I heard a Ferrari model named.

Did the Kuwaitis go back to Iraq and take them back? Or are they fortunes of war?

2. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    On the Ferrari front, there are photos on the Internet somewhere that show a Ferrari Testarossa they had that is covered in LAYERS of dust and dirt, as well as the famous picture of one of the Hussein boy's Ferrari 550 Maranello sitting outside the front gate to their house completely gutted and vandalized. :(

3. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    There was also a F40 in turkey, that was from Iraq! It was to be repaired or something along those lines ..

4. Zookie

Zookie Karting
    BANNED

Aug 13, 2007
    #4 Zookie, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    I was there during the war the Gulf War in 89-90... I was there for a few days was 4 years old at the time... Me, my brother and dad left to India and my mom stayed back for a few weeks... the Iraqies were only After Local Kuwaities and treated everyone else with great respect, except the Kuwaties...

It was all Fortunes on War. They took a lot of Fancy stuff, they same a lot of Gold is burried in teh Desert unclaimed in the mine fields in Northern Kuwait, they built Underground Bunkers and put all the expensive stuff there...

If you are Really intrested in what happend and how it happend Watch "House Of Saddam" its a 2 Part BBC Movie/Documentry from 2008

I go back almost every year, its freakin awesome there for about a week lols then it gets boring... my still Dad lives/works there

5. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    You have a PM And you see any nice enzos there

6. mertini86

mertini86 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    Brussels / Istanbul
    Full Name:
    Mert Candarli
    #7 mertini86, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Indeed, and I have seen that F40 in person at the Ferrari of Istanbul maintenance place. I was going to middle school back then :) The chief mechanic had told me that it belonged to one of Saddam's sons. The car was just sitting there for months. I'll try to check up on that and get back to you about what happened to that car. Thanks for the reminder, I have completely forgotten about that car :)

7. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    There were four known F40s in Kuwait Pre-Invasion, one is still here, one was exported to Japan by an Executive from Yokohama Tires and the other two were stolen, please do get the VIN of this Istanbul F40, I know someone who would like to know.

S

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    It seems like as soon as they show up for service at an authorized dealer anywhere outside of Iraq that the dealer will note the serial number and a bell will go off--that a stolen car has been found. About that phrase "fortunes of war" it really is an old phrase that doesn't quite jive with the modern day legal world--how long after a battle, for instance, can you still claim property as a "fortune of war?" A day? A week? A year?
    Say, for instance, that stripped car you show. I think it's still worth something but now it would be more difficult to claim it than when you rolled into town on an Abrams (sp?) tank. Of course the US military is not supposed to be claiming "fortunes of war" though I did read that when they found one of those money caches, they turned the money over to the new Iraqi government. During the last days of WWII, I think many fine Mercedes 540s were liberated by US troops and remember seeing pictures of Johnny von Neumann , the famous Ferrari importer in Calif., during the war riding around in such captured cars. I don't think he was that high ranking but due to the fact he was a native German and in demand for his services, he had that kind of pull.

Going back to the Rolls royces, I heard they stole 90 of them. I know the sons of Saddam were car collectors but their taste was all over the place, from Excaliburs to Ferraris. A lot of their cars survived by virtue of being in a parking structure near some Embassy that we dare not bomb close to.

9. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I can't say about any 'bells' going off when a car goes in for service anywhere... I don't think they have a computer system at the dealerships that are tied into Interpol, or anything.

As for "they" stealing 90 Rolls Royces... I think if the truth were know, most cars stolen from Kuwait ended up in Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Palestine, and some... only some, in Iraq.

Let's just say that from what I know, it wasn't just Iraqis that were stealing.

Mike

10. BentleyKWT

BentleyKWT Karting

Jun 15, 2011
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Bentley KWT

Yes, this is true, The Palestinian and Syrians did a lot of the luting and worst of all, collaboration to aid Iraqi forces in the execution of many people.

The 2 stolen F40's did go to Iraq. So the one from Istanbul is definitely from Kuwait.
    I doubt the owner would want it back. Its been through a lot and he has a Buggati amongst other cars.

In regards, to the buried gold in the desert, that is a Myth. If there was any, it would have recovered by now. No way in hell the big dogs are just going to let a few million rote away in the desert.

Those day are over and people seem to have forgot. The cultures has actually weakened since the war which is quite ironic. Its a totally different era.

11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I remember CNN showing a yellow 348 in his palace garage, they said his guards stole it from a prince in Kuwait.

12. mimo alking

mimo alking Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mimo
    #13 mimo alking, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011
    hi,,,
    i hade an F430, but i sold it few months back due to some reason ! as i am ferrari fan, i am looking for an F355 in kuwait to buy ? manual transmission is a must :)

even if you have some in suadia arabia , let me please ,,,

send me an email on : [email protected]

best regards...

13. BentleyKWT

BentleyKWT Karting

Jun 15, 2011
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Bentley KWT
    q8car.com

I would say, Dubai is a better option.

Autotraderuae.com

goodluck

14. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Yeah.... I would agree.

The only 355 for sale on q8car was sold... and it had a terrible interior redo, with all the black dash and accents replaced with red... I didn't like it at all.

Mike

15. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    I'll be in Istanbul next week I'll see if I can get that VIN for ya ;)

16. BentleyKWT

BentleyKWT Karting

Jun 15, 2011
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Bentley KWT
    People are obsessed with red interiors here, the reason is beyond me..

17. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Luckily, there are places that can 'make it right' fairly inexpensively... but you're right. This obsession with Red and White interiors is... well... awful.

Did you see the 360 with the red and yellow interior.... bad taste doesn't even begin to describe it.

Mike

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    At the Rodeo Drive Father's Day show there was a black Bugatti Veyron with yellow
    wheels and yellow trim here and there.
    I guess even at over a million dollars a car, there's no preventing bad taste. I can't believe the factory painted it that way but if you will sign the check most automakers will accomodate you--Porsche even brags that they will do a car any color you want.
    I heard in the Middle East that there are a few polished out cars as well,
    including an Audi A8--shined so the bare aluminum body shows like chrome.
    Must be blinding in the Mideast sun!

19. nikkis34

nikkis34 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 17, 2004
    SF
    Full Name:
    M. K. Nijjer
    Is there a brushed aluminum one? Boyd Cottington did a brushed aluminum hod rod and it looked sweet.

20. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    We nuked most of them, esp the 2nd time around.