L Calabasas & O.C. shut down? | Page 18 | FerrariChat

L Calabasas & O.C. shut down?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by roytoy2003, Oct 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Well that makes it completely okay then!

I think the only silver lining in all this is Roy and his operation basically cementing thier status as STAND UP and full of integrity. I'm not in the market for an exotic, nor will I be for a LONG time, but there is not a doubt in my mind that I would go through him.

2. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    While I commend anyone for standing by their friends and showing their loyalty...I still do not approve of the actions that I know happened ...poor economy is no excuse...as long as they were in business, they should have been better pre-pared or started negotations with VW/Lambo early on.

I do also agree that there is value to his business and yes he should not just "give" it back, however maybe the value,
    (I do not know) is equal to or a wash of the incident, espicaly after you add in all legal costs and time to just be done with the matter.

I also agree with you that it was NOT 54 cars in 8 days, but a longer period of time as you state and then a so called "fire sale" of the last bunch of cars in short period of time....either way IMO it is still not correct.

3. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003

wether i have the mola is not the question here. i would not touch a lambo in this market with a 10' pole, i am not stupid, even if i did you better believe my lawyer will file a lawsuit in no time.

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    How do you know the cars were illegally repo'ed?

If they had a court order, then they were legally repo'ed. That doesn't mean the repo order can't be overturned (as it appears may have happened in this case), but I *know* that we don't know enough about this case to say that the cars are being repo'ed illegally.

5. jakopyan

jakopyan Karting

Feb 24, 2004

The cars were repo'ed illegally. They were released to VW by O'gara (LBH). No court order.

6. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    ... and then reportedly reclaimed by law enforcement and returned to their owners...

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Thanks for posting that...

That's not a dealership I would be have confidence in...

8. jakopyan

jakopyan Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    You are correct. They were reclaimed by law enforcement as stolen vehicles. They will be returned to their owners in a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if criminal charges were filed against a few people who actually participated in taking those vehicles from O'gara.

I don't know about you but I think if a crime was committed by anyone involved, there should be consequences. That includes anyone in service, the person who made the call to release the cars to VW, the errand boys that drove the cars off from O'gara, and the person(s) who authorized the whole thing. Check out California Vehicle Code 10851 (a). This is just one code that applies to this particular situation not to mention the standard penal codes and vehicle codes that apply.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The guys who got the cars with title, scored big time. They knew somthing was up obviously, but didn't care. There nothing VW, Lambo, or anybody else can do. The cars are theirs!! If they find cars hidden someplace that are not sold, then they can seize them. Once a car is in your name and has been bought ligit with title, thats it!

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    #435 SRT Mike, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    No more true than when you said it before.

It comes down to whether or not they were bona fide buyers. If they can be shown not to be, they could lose the cars, if VW goes that route.

11. TonyShaw

TonyShaw Rookie

Nov 2, 2008
    Regardless of the rumors, the truth is simple: Vik and his sisters want to sell the loc franchise and FYI the new owner will be Lamborghini Houston. The dealership will be run by past loc employees that are well respected. I know this first hand. I was at an invited guest event in beverly hills showing the new SV on 1-21-09.

Vik deserves our respect. They were an authorized dealership, not a auto dealership with no authorizations from Lamborghini.

The truth:

1. Vik and his sisters did not run away
    2. Vik wants payment for his franchise
    3. The warranties are valid on the cars sold by LOC
    4. Vik and his sisters still own commonwealth audi and VW
    5. He is a guy that is really crushed by this along with his sisters
    6. Lamborghini Houston is going to own the dealership once they reach an agreement with Vik
    7. The GM of the new OC dealer will be a former LOC employee
    8. Two cars where repo'd and returned to the buyer
    9. Lamborghini s.p.a was caught off guard with the failure

Roy you are probley a nice guy, but, any business and I mean any, can fail including the largest businesses.

12. TTM-BUL

TTM-BUL Karting

Dec 18, 2006
    That is true. I'm not sure Roy and a lot of other people have respect for someone that blindly screws another out of 12mil for their own personal benefit on the way out. I guess it all comes down to your personal parameters of the definition of respect. After all he was an "authorized" dealer. Just like Madoff was an "authorized" investment guru. Your post seems to label Roy and other private non branded highline auto dealers as substandard. I'm sure this was unintentional. Also it seems like there may be a few bullet points missing from your "TRUTH" column. Out of curiosity I wonder if VW wants payment for what is rightfully theirs?

13. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    Interesting about LoH buying the dealership. I bought a Gallardo from LoH this week and when I was there my salesman was moving his office to the Managers office. To me this make sense if the current manager is going out to LOC to manage that location.

I wish them the best.

14. jakopyan

jakopyan Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    #439 jakopyan, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
    It's great to know that LOC is going to reopen and best of all that it may include part of the original staff. Those guys are wonderful to work with. Every friend I have that owns a Lamborghini was very disappointed that they had to rely on LBH for their service needs. It is worth the extra 20 miles or so to take our cars to LOC not to mention the level of service they provide. I hope Grant is coming back because quite honestly, he is the best service manager I've ever encountered. Best of luck to Vik and his sisters. They are a hard working family and only time will tell when and how strong they come back. Rumors not addressed or contested do not mean they are true.

15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    From what has been posted in this thread,... IMHO payment for franchise rights should go directly to VW / audi / lambo... No reason for Vik to see a penny until ALL outstanding obligations paid...

16. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    You forgot to mention that VW recieved $6,000,000 in that month & Vik was going to sell the dealerships for around $6,000,000 to cover there "12million". But Vw F*** up and shut the dealerships down instead of letting them sell them.

17. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    From another poster on another board....I do KNOW some of the used cars DID have titles and were issued out...even if they were on the VW flooring plan...and cant comment on the new cars not titled as I do not know for a fact....but this does confirm as I have said that there is a "watch list" for these cars and their vins with all Dealers...and reagrdless of the outcome..I would NOT touch one of these cars on the lsit, not for any amount of "fire sale" to good to be true sale price..

And YES I have a copy of the VIN list and check all cars offered to me against the list, as a matter of fact have turned down three of these cars so far in the last two weeks...

Buyer beware...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I just learned from Lamborghini Dallas that there is in fact a list issued by VW headquarters of all car VIN's issued to authorized dealers throughout the country (and world for that matter) from this "fire sale".

They have been instructed to contact VW with information that one of these cars has been brought in for service and that they (VW) would take any actions deemed necessary.

I also learned that NONE....I repeat NONE of the cars that were sold came with a title. LOC did not have the titles to issue to the new owners simply because VW does not furnish the titles until all $$ has been exchanged. Since these cars were all still on LOC's floor plan and not paid for....no title to issue.

HOW DO YOU REGISTER OR RE-SELL A CAR WITHOUT A TITLE ??? This is worse then I thought. "

18. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was told the same thing about titles....

19. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    So the buyers of the cars put down cash and drove away without title? Oh man this is gonna get real ugly. I sure many of these cars were re-sold to a third or fourth party. Now the new owners will take them to the new dealer trying to get work serviced only to have the car impounded? I wish I were an attorney...

20. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Well you have to keep in mind MOST all these cas were "Fire sold" to licensed Dealers, with that any Dealer can drive a car off a lot right away with their dealer plates and "await" the title or MSO toget to them...I wonder how many are still "waiting"..?

21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #446 italiancars, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
    Manufacturers do not issue titles, titles are issued by State DOT. Manufacturers issue MSOs (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) or CO (Certificate of Origin). MSO/CO are sent to the state by the selling dealer, in most states retail customers are not permitted to be given a MSO/CO unless the car is to be titled out of that state and only in cases where the buyer paid cash for the car. If the car is financed the title/MSO/CO must be sent to the financial institution.

Many States will only permit an MSO/CO to be given to a registered dealer and some states will not allow an MSO/CO to be given to a dealer unless that dealer is an authorized factory dealer for the manufacturer of the car in question.

22. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Correct...IN most cases a Private person will NEVER get a MSO or Co from the Dealer...if so it raises red flags right away!!

23. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Here is a good and helpfull info from a member here posted on another board...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SdChris
    See when a dealer buys a car, the dealer has to put the title in to there name, and the floor company will either list themselves on the face of the title or do a blanket UCC filing..either way you could be given a title as a buyer, but it still does not mean that the lein has been released...

To futher add...some of the cars of not yet been registered there is no way for VW to know where the cars are...
    I made a long post about titles a few months back..

With all the talk here about titles and how they work and liens on file and liens on paper, I thought I would take few mins and explain the process! In this thread I am going to talk about some terms that are not common for anyone outside the car business, and maybe some attorneys! I will cover the difference between a wholesale deal, and a retail deal, what dealer reassignment is, in-state sales and titles and out-of-state sales and titles, and some differences in each state. I will try to explain the best I can, and how to avoid issues like the ones going on here, and how to protect you from a similar situation!

I will talk first about how dealers buy car for there inventory! When a dealership, needs inventory we use a number of different sources to buy cars, like the auto auction, a broker, a wholesaler, or a couple of different dealer trading networks. Dealers in most cases use what is called a “floor plan” line of credit. A floor plan is a system of financing that permits a dealer to borrow money to buy inventory, which becomes the security for the loan that is repaid when the merchandise is sold. Thus the floor planning lender places a “lien” on all stock inventories, until the loan is repaid! Normally floor plans are short terms notes 90-120 days full curtailment! If you have go to dealership, and you purchase a new car, and trade your old one in, the dealer would pay down the note at the bank on that one car they just sold, and re-floor your trade, pay off any liens you might have, out of the funds coming from financing or cash in the deal, have a clear title to the customer, and a clear title on the trade! Over the last couple of years, there has been a lot of talk of dealers not paying off trades, and customers are left 2 cars payments and there credit shot! How this happens is when a dealer is over extended his floor plan, and can not borrow on your trade-in, so he has to sell the trade-in first…in some cases it takes longer then 120 days to sell a car, so the customer is late 4 months of payments, and the bank is looking for the car! The new owner buys the car, can not get a free and clear title, and the former owner is left with negative credit, and the dealer receive a fine, faces jail time and refunds all funds plus interest to the parties.

When a dealer sells a car to retail buyer, the contract is between the dealer and the customer, the title is being delivered to the customer free of any liens, minus any financing the customer received to buy the car in the first place. Laws are different in each state, some being what called “title in hand” states which means the customer will receive a title from the dealership, with no liens listed; it will be a title in the dealerships name signed over to the owner. For in-state sales the tile will have also have a application for title with it, and any reassignment of title to the lien holder, and where the title needs to be sent once in issued to the new owner, either to the customer with lien noted or to the lender with lien noted. In some cases, when the dealer or lender sends the title to the customer because the state requires it for the owner to register the new car, the new owner might neglect to inform the state there is lien on the car. So the state issues a title free and clear. Shortly there after the finance company will notify the state the customer xyz, bought vin# abc, the state then notes the title and send the owner a letter to inform them they now have a lien on the car.

Let’s say in between this process a customer decides “hey I can make some fast money here lol!” And they then go sell the car, they have a free and clear title, so they go there local broker, sells them the car, the broker has the seller sign the title over to the broker, and seller collect his payday! He disappears and takes the money. The broker who bought his car has no idea that the title has issues; he decides just wholesale the car to a different broker or wholesaler. When the broker sells the car, he is not required to place the title in to his name, so he reassigns the title to the new broker, who in turns markets the car to a wholesaler where the title just keeps getting reassignment form broker to broker. In this case there would be a free in clear title in the hands of each broker and everything would appear to be fine! But remember the state sent the original owner a copy of the lien that was reported to them by the finance company, and he felt like getting rich and sold the car!

So now a retail customer who wants to put the car in his garage finds the car, so he buys the car. This retail buyer does not live in the dealer’s home state, in some states the dealer doesn’t have to register the car to there dealership, keeping the circle going, of dealer reassignment to the retail buyer. The new buyer drives his car the first 30-120 days thinking “WOW, I feel so cool in my new car, but now I have to go get plates and pay tax” So he takes his dealer reassigned paper and goes to his court house, to a titling company and pays his tax and lic. Drives home! Remember that the first owner received from the state that there was lien on the car, but he choose to sell the car first???

Well here’s ware it gets fun! Since none of the other broker registered there car into a dealership name, the car stayed under the radar…So because of the lien the original owners state sent the letter about, now shows up, with this being the first time a new title gets issued, Boom his car is gone! So the buyer would go back to the dealership he bought the car from based on the lien now found, the dealer would be obligated to return the buyers money, and follow the paper trail all the way back to the original owner

This could happen, weather the sale is a in-state or out-of-state. In some sates the dealer is not required to flip the title into the dealerships name until the car has been resold to a retail end user. Since the new owner has temp tags, the selling dealer would move to place the title into the dealerships name at the time of sale…So for at least 20 days, the dealer and the buyer thinks everything fine! At some point during the temp tag period, the dealer would receive a letter from there sate DMV letting them know that a title can not be issued because there is lien listed in another state…At this point the dealer, would start back-tracking all the way to lien holder, and get the facts…The dealer then would call the customer and explain what has happened, and them return the car, or the dealer could work to clear up the situation on there end! So you can see how tricky this really could get!

This is how VW is going after the cars or so i have been told...VW still has open liens making a new issue not possiable. That leaves in some cases the new owners without anyway to register the car. VW would still own. That is the point of the UCC and or the lien in the first place.

24. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Some very good points Chris has here...and helpful info..

I am a state that DOES not require Title to be transfered into Dealer name and can re-assign and re-asign and re-asign..Chris State DOES require Title in Dealership, which after this Deal I think is a way better idea and have been lobbying my State to change too such. Currently it is only a cost of approx $38.00 to do it in my state for a dealer...big deal, BUT most Dealers are against it as it is costly and time consuming AND they do not want to wait for a title from my state, which for a dealer takes 2-4 weeks.

Since this, and since I like to always learn...I started that we ONLY take in cars that I DO re-assign the TITLE into our dealership name...it protects me and THE BUYER in the long run for a clear and good car. Yes it costs me a bit more in having to not offer the car for sale for 2-4 weeks till I ge the title..and yes it costs intrest fees and possible lost salel keeping the car under wraps till then...BUT I KNOW I am getting a clean car and do NOT have to worry and have something come bite me back in the ass...

For trade ins, I ALSO do this, to make sure the end user DOES not have an issue...I also do not use flooring plans and run my biz totaly on my own cash..this way I can show a possible buyer a TRUE AND CLEAN title, fully released car Period.

As a matter of fact, any car I take in I provide PROFF OF PAY-OFF to the seller PRIOR to them releasing the car to my truck and taking it away from their home...again to make sure they KNOW they are getting the right thing done here..

WITH my own cash I KNOW my cars AND our consigment cars are free and clear and CLEAN as a new born babys butt!!

I think this should be the law all over the land!! IMO

25. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Hey guys thanks for the info; very informative and thorough. I had no clue how a dealer finances his cars and you guys have shed some light on it. As for those porr folks who buy any of these cars, they are deep in doo-doo.