LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 31 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I wish Ferrari would focus on weight savings along with more horsepower.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    Agreed. The last 2 special cars were porkers, way too heavy.

3. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if the La Ferrari replacement is fairly light, the valk, merc hypercar and the t.50 are all light and it puts (some) pressure on them to do so too as they'll struggle to get similar track performance otherwise

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    #754 Theothertopgearfan, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Having the engine be a stressed member of the chassis could work to lighten the car significantly, one of the issues with the f50 was that it had nothing to smoothen it out at lower rpms. The laf on the other hand has variable intakes and could ease up the comfort a little. Not to mention we have greatly advanced in terms of comfort since 1995. A 1300kg or even sub 1280kg car that’s road legal globally could be possible, though I would also like a car with a shorter wheelbase then the laf. It’s also important to remember that only the amg project one will be road legal globally, I believe the Valkyrie isn’t mainly due to lack of mirrors and airbags, same with the t50

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    **** airbags. The Valkyrie and the T50 is the way to go. Ultra light and very powerful.

6. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    it is also important to remember that us specs historically increased weight, the f40 in us trim is identical to the f50 in us spec in terms of weight. I gave it a more lenient goal of around 1260-1300kg for room for safety and depending on how big the hybrid is. But it should regardless still be a fun car to throw around

7. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    Ferrari should ditch the hybrid part and make a 1 ton, 950 HP NA V12 single seater track monster (with a central driving position).

ZF123 and F2003-GA like this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's comedy time I guess...

themediocore likes this.
  9. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    #759 Theothertopgearfan, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Well at that point, I think personally it would just be better to make a radical sr3 esque road legal track car with styling inspired by the 312pb and 333sp and weighing only 650-720kg with a smaller power dense v12. I think personally every Ferrari halo while not being the fastest in their class had to innovate, plus, a purist hybrid car is something I think that would be a very interesting concept. I hope that Ferrari chooses to make the engine a stressed member as for one, I love how the f50 implemented it, and secondly modern creature comforts and engine technology could make it more bearable for others will providing that amazing driver feedback and keeping the car lightweight and increasing stiffness.

willcrook and jpalmito like this.
  10. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    Those are all very ugly cars IMO. Plus they don't have a central driving position.

I don't give a damn about innovating, I hate hybrid and electric cars.
    IMO their HALO car should be faster than any other car in the world when it is launched. I'm talking about track times, not straight line speed.

This I agree with. I'd also be interested in them using a Formula 1 derived 5 litre NA V10 for their HALO car. That would make it very light and they never used one before, they would pay homage to the V10 era in F1.

11. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    #761 Theothertopgearfan, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    I’d prefer the v12, slightly downsized to 6.0 liters but in a higher state of tune at roughly 1000hp, as for the performance of course I wouldn’t focus on straight line speed, as for the hybrid, the crz shows me at least that if it had a slightly beefier ice and put up better performance, it could’ve genuinely kept certain lower end purist sports cars alive while retaining their lightness and manual transmissions. as for the central driving position, as much as I like the t50 a car is no good if your limited to how much you can drive it where I live, sort of like the monza. As for those prototypes the 312pb is among Ferrari’s finest and most successful prototypes, I also like it’s short wheelbase but I think only light inspiration should be used. Honestly I’m not sure what’s inherently wrong with a purist manual hybrid sports car, it’s a concept I think that should’ve been given more of a chance. I think what certain modern ferraris have excelled at nowadays until maybe only recently with the f8, but that was due to chassis tuning, is how good they drive in spite of not having a manual transmission, the f430 scuderia being a perfect example so I think Ferrari can manage

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not having a manual contribute to how good modern sports cars drive.

13. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    I’m more or so referring to the Ferrari’s of the 2000s, when iirc a reviewer chose an f430 with the f1 gearbox over the gt2005 because the gt felt soulless to him despite having said six speed and more power

14. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    But that is not necessarily a good thing. A smaller, more analog car, with a manual would be significantly slower, and drive “less good” than every other modern sports car. But would outsell all of them. There is no better or more connected feeling than rowing your own gears. And as all those other modern cars passed me on the track, they’d see a big-a** smile on my face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnny_Bravo and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    When Ferrari last offered a manual, the uptake was in the single digits. The manual is dead in the very high-performance cars land. The only exception is the T50, but that's a weird car anyway.

16. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    Are you referring to the California? The take rate for the manual GT3 is 70% in the US. For many, driving pleasure does not come from numbers. I’m not being a Luddite. I get it. There is no way a manual SF90 or 296 could exist. I get that too. But a 500hp analog manual weighing 1.3 kilos with rear wheel drive and a prancing horse would outsell them both combined.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I highly doubt that. Anyway, Ferrari is way past 500 CV nowadays, they won't take a backwards step in power. The GT3 is from a lower category.

18. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    ^ voice of reason right here

italiafan, Caeruleus11 and F2003-GA like this.
  19. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    It’s a fantasy my friend but some day it will happen. Maybe the next Icona …

20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    what I find fascinating is how fast the 360 gt2 is with it's modest power output - quicker round fiorano than a sf90, la ferrari, 599xx ,FXX and FXX evo

makes me wonder what ferrari could do if they were to sacrifice comfort and make a road legal track car!

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  21. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    or get vehicle weight under control?

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The big issue is what many people say they want from a road car is not the same as what they end up buying.

I would agree that up to and including the F430 or the 575 with the V12s, the stick shift is preferable. My opinion- with the 458 and the F12 the whole suspension, steering interaction is too fast for almost anyone to make the stick shift work properly. I just cant imagine these cars with a stick shift. With the 599, I think if they refined the stick shift it would have worked better. Scud is a weird one where I can see it both ways but ultimately I think the brutal robotic shift is too much an integral part of the experience.

I am sure I am hardly alone in wishing for a 550-650HP mid mounted V12 revving to 12k with a manual and maybe a real world weight around 3,200-3,300lbs (not light by any means, but not really heavy either). I dont know if it will happen.

I do know despite whatever criticisms we can think up, modern Ferraris are brilliant road cars. Hard for me to argue with the approach. Despite the issues one would find on paper, in the real world, I thought the SF90 was a blast.. Id just like that V12 scream please.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Solid State likes this.
  23. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    #773 Johnny_Bravo, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    It can have flappy paddles, they are great. But 3200 - 3300 lbs is a porker of a car, way too ****ing heavy. It should weigh 2500 lbs in the worst case scenario, 2000-2200 lbs would be ideal. All they have to do is make it a bit smaller, ditch the hybrid crap, and all the stupid electronics. No ABS, no ESP, no thing, not even an airbag.

The SF 90 is a porker and it ain't that good looking either.

24. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    I would like that, but my country isn’t gonna let that fly in terms of no driving aids

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  25. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    I also know you like the Stallone but do remember that that has a twin turbo v12 with an even heavier hybrid system with the engine not being a stressed member of the chassis. Looks good though