LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 33 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    Yeah.. a bit odd since in 2011 we at least got some info about the laferrari before it released

2. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    may be they will show us a teaser image while presenting 2022-2026 product plan. if laferrari successor comes in 2023, that year will be mega . two hypercars in one single year !! LMH and laferrari successor and same time There is a fair chance one could stole the limelight of another.

Spet00 likes this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The LMH will be purely a racing car, so I don't see how they will compete with each other. Is like saying that the Formula 1 car (we get a new one every year) will steal the limelight from a road car.

jpalmito likes this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Some reliable sources already quoted the two cars will be completely different.

JagShergill, REALZEUS and of2worlds like this.
  5. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    you said it right

REALZEUS and of2worlds like this.
  6. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    i know that they are different and not connected to each other but if they are presented back to back in a same year one could loss some attention to fans ,media, etc. suppose the
    LMh presented in February and after seeing it you may not feel the excitement of anticipating a flagship hypercar, but it'll not always true. just silly thought of mine.

7. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    Considering they’re separate programs, I’m not sure how that would affect each other. The only potential bad I could see happening would be if the laferrari successor was unveiled and people get disappointed that what is competing at lemans in 2023 is a purpose built prototype instead. But that’s arguably already happened

8. Karimsaid

Karimsaid Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor

Oct 2, 2014
    It’s quite simple:
    the upcoming ‘big’ new products and their cycles (e.g Icona: 3 yes & hypercar: 7-10 yrs), special occasions like the 75th anniversary in ‘22, and the non-overlap impact-diminishing principle.
    You have the (1) the SUV, (2) the next hypercar (every 7-10 years), (3) the next Icona (every 3 years), and (4) the new Le Mans racer (viewed as a totally new category - not a recurring new F1 season car).
    Position those in time with no overlap as best for the brand and customer excitement/tension as you see.
    SUV should be soon ‘22?, LM ‘23?, Icona ‘21+3 = ‘24; hypercar?

polishhammer83 likes this.
  9. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    I imagine the successor to the laferrari would be unveiled either in late 2022 or mid 2023, but I am already exhausted, I went through several of Ferrari's latest patents and couldn't find much.

Karimsaid likes this.
  10. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    If the rumours about Ferrari turbocharging the V12 are true and they end up designing a totally new engine, would it make sense to build a 120° V12 with a hot-V configuration like in their new V6? As far as I know, 120° angle would provide even firing intervals for V12 as well.

Alvega likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The optimal angle for a V12 is between 60 and 65 degrees. Unless one wants to go flat 12, for packaging purposes, but that comes with other problems.

Personally, I don't believe that Ferrari will turbocharge the V12.

Caeruleus11 and jpalmito like this.
  12. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Would flat 12 actually make any sense? As far as I understand, it would still require either intakes or exhausts under the engine and therefore engine needs to be lifted up.

I have read that optimal angle for V12 is either 60, 120 or 180. Ferrari (and some others) are using 65 degree angle to make a bit more room within the V, but it is not otherwise optimal angle. So now that hot-V is gaining traction, 120 degree angle could actually make sense, unless there is some specific design issue that I'm not aware of.

Alvega likes this.
  13. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Pagani Huayra successor will have manual gearbox as option like Porsche GT3. When Ferrari will bring back three pedals and stick?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ScrappyB and BJK like this.
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Oh yeah
    A fully electric Ferrari supercar with a fake manual gearbox !
    What a dream it would be ..;):p

Senad and of2worlds like this.
  15. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    Hm, they’ve announced the corporate shakeup, but no roadmap, was hoping for any info on this car at this point

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The shakeup is all about quieter, cleaner, and electrification based on a prior quote. So not a good indicator unless this one is way far along. Doesn't look like analog cars are where they are going with the new management.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    I think Ferrari a little too early join this eco hype, more and more governments in Europe are against petrol car ban, for example Czech Republic which is big car producer

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    This turned out to be only partially true. While 60, 120 and 180 degree V12 engines are all even firing, unfortunately the 120 degree V12 would fire 2 cylinders at once, making it essentially a 6-cylinder engine with double chambers. It would be still smoother than the worst angles of 30, 90 and 150, but certainly not what Ferrari wants.

So this probably rules out a V12 with hot-V configuration and reduces also the likelihood of turbocharged V12.

19. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    The new management is stupid

20. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    The new government regulation is stupid

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  21. sailfly

sailfly Karting

Dec 21, 2020
    60 or 180 is optimal for V12. 120 is optimal for V6 but generally too wide to fit in front engined cars so they go narrower. Most high end V12s are around 65-67 to make room for the intake as 60 degree would have the intakes pointing inwards towards each other.

22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    more pictures here:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CYmr1hjsZkF/

no apparent hybrid warnings, if so, would appear that it could only be V12 since all future Ferrari V8/V6 engines are hybrid

could be a smaller V12 block being tested...who knows

24. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    everything sucks now, to drive an old ferrari where I live will cost £10 a day clean air zone tax if I drive it. if I drove through 2 different cities I could have to pay £30 a day charges. in time this will apply to newer cars and eventually all non-electric cars

I get the feeling sports cars are on their way out, but it would be nice if ferrari did make a last (not crazy expensive) light manual drivers car to say thanks to those who've spent a ton of money with them over the last 20+ years!

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  25. Theothertopgearfan

Sep 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    The stig
    wasn't the f167 supposed to have a smaller displacement, but higher revving v12?