LAKE MICHIGAN CIRCLE TOUR | FerrariChat

LAKE MICHIGAN CIRCLE TOUR

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by msgsobe, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    Has anyone done the Lake Michigan Circle Tour? Is it just scenic, with low speed through little towns, or is there some good twisties with room for spirited driving?
    My son (races USF 2000) and I have 5 days in between race practices at la Crosse fairgrounds speedway and Blackhawk farms Raceway in South Beloit, and we want to do a road trip. Any other reccomendations welcome. Thanks!

2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I haven't done the trip, but it seems to me based on hearsay(or lack of) that it's about the scenery, not the great driving. 5 days seems like a rushed trip; you're 3.5 hours from Milwaukee when you're in LaX. Maybe take the ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington or the reverse. You'd miss Milwaukee and Chicago...that's a good thing. Well, Chicago for sure

3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I grew up on the WI side of the lake and my wife grew up on the Michigan side so have spent a lot of time all around there. Would not say the roads are great from a technical standpoint, but scenic.

I would recommend taking the high speed ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon. Drive up to Travers City and stay a day or so. Then up to Mackinac island. Then around the Michigan upper peninsula into Wisconsin. Make you way towards and stay in Sturgeon Bay in the Door County peninsula (my favorite place anywhere. We still have a home there.). Lots to see and do in that area. Either to or from there stop at Lambeau field. They do tours of the stadium and have a museum, etc. there. And then head down to Manitowoc. Not much there, but they do have an amazing maritime museum and you can tour a Cobia class submarine. Can also do some charter big lake fishing and catch some big salmon and trout.

Hope this helps.

4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    OP: When are the races?

5. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    Thanks SLM,
    appreciate the response, but more interested in driving than sightseeing. As we have to be back in the area in 5 days, (la Cross Speedway, then Blackhawk farms), were hoping to find something like tail of the dragon or natchez trace.
    Stever, these are practices for USF 2000 road to Indy. First race is June 20th with Indycar at Road America. Probaly no spectators though.
    thanks all for your help.