LamborghiniChat moving back to own community | Page 3 | FerrariChat

LamborghiniChat moving back to own community

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by rob lay, Oct 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Rob, there’s nothing remotely stupid about any of my posts within this thread, your remark is totally unnecessary, because what I’m saying is common-sense and I'm only being straightforward.

The posts in this thread have mostly been by Lamborghini owners in cordial response to your requests for opinions on how the new site should be laid out, they have been constructive and based on significant experience with the marque. It makes no sense to get bent out of shape with anyone who is only trying to help, essentially we are on the same team.

I suggested you forget the past and focus on the present and the future for the simple reason that besides the fact that you can't do anything about the past, whatever happened in the past is no guarantee the same will happen again in the future, let it go, perhaps things will be better next time around, so why not be positive?

Besides being a Sponsor, I know that I also add some value to FerrariChat with the content I choose to post, so to clarify, my statement that I could care less whether people see it my way or not is simply an honest acceptance of my understanding that on a public forum people will react however they feel, agree or disagree. However, I did not suggest that all will be good as long as you agree and implement the suggestions that I made, I have no way of knowing the future and what will work versus what won’t, thats why I suggested you just do it whatever way you like and then see how it works out, essentially its an experiment.

All that said, I do think the there is always potential for a new project to succeed better than before when level heads and a positive attitude prevail.

Boomhauer and Dave rocks like this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Joe, listen, I can tell you in my experience that no matter what model breakdown we do there will be people not happy about it. **** it, we will implement your model forum suggestions just so I can prove myself right. :D Joe, I need the model break downs within 3 days for our implementation. Thanks for your help expert.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

4. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

Rob, it seems you are getting frustrated. Probably rightfully so, because we can all acknowledge that yours is a thankless job. Thank you for doing this work because we all value it, even if we don’t say it. Afterall, that’s why we visit this site.

But, regardless of frustration, a moderator should probably temper their words a bit more because using words like “bitching” and “stupid” only serves to perpetuate such unproductive behavior from others, especially since they see a moderator doing it, and that’s not productive for anyone.

As to your specific points, I would suggest not attempting to re-invent too much of the wheel at the first bite. Instead, just break the categories down as they have organically been created on F-Chat (e.g., Miura, Downdraft, etc...) That way, the content is divided, the categories remain mostly the same so there is less change for those less willing to adapt, and we see how the categories build and adjust from there. We already know that this breakdown works-the proof is in the pudding and the thousands of posts over the past years.

I believe the less of a change you make initially, the better. It’s already hard enough trying to keep subscribers and sponsors with this new format change and website. Thus, I would keep as much as I can the same (colors, layout, etc) until you have stabilized the migration and hopefully retained as many subscribers as possible. After all, that is what’s most important for the overall success of the site-it has to be monetized, and in that sense, the subscriber metric is king.

Then, once migrated and stabilized, slowly implement new changes and see how they work (colors, layout, category changes) one-by-one. That way, you can isolate your changes and know exactly which ones are and aren’t working. If you make too many changes at once, there is no way for you to tell which ones are having a positive or negative impact without having to reach out to everyone in the group. You then have to reach out to the group with questions, many will not respond, usually just the “squeaky wheels” will respond, it’s an imperfect sampling method, frustration continues, and so on.

joe sackey, Boomhauer and Dave rocks like this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It is already happening, what you suggest not exactly what Joe wants. ;). We’re going to do exactly what Joe wants. I don’t see a major problem with it and he can deal with any differences of opinions. Obviously I’m the only one that remembers how childish and stupid some Lamborghini guys acted when we did model forums before. That’s OK, I feel good this won’t be my problem.

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Please do whatever you see fit, my way, your way, or anyone else's way, the outcome proves nothing because it's basically an experiment, that said, I think by working on this collectively with a positive attitude, we can make it work.

So true.

Perhaps the way in which the changes were implemented in the past had something to do with the way people reacted, however, with a collective approach, the outcome can be positive this time.

Dave rocks likes this.
  7. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Very first point in this thread asked for feedback.. then you get some and whine about it. I simply tried to state that a way to get to ones own preferred topic efficiently is important and should be preserved.. thats all, and i was stepped on. So im done making suggestions.

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Your input was appreciated.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wow you are sensitive then, what I said is very true. Not that your suggestion wasn’t good or Joe’s either, but important me to set the ground work early there has always been a “no win” situation. I don’t care now since Joe is taking over, not my problem.

10. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    Rob, just do it the way you want. It is kinda like people that do not like the president, but none of them can come up with a good solution, all the do is complain.
    Do it your way!

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think Joe's suggestion is good or better than any. My only points were 1) we can always start off slow leave it as is and work into other structures as traffic picks up. 2) any model forum change we've ever done had become conflictual as more art and personal preference than science. Any intensity I had in my words was because it has been very painful for the admins to go through these processes in the past. I was trying to set the groundwork to avoid a similar bad experience. Now that Joe will be the owner and advocate of the model layout, then that takes the pressure off us and I'm happy with it.

12. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    When is this going to happen????? I keep looking and so far all I see it talk. Lets get it done and move on.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    geez, final testing. besides drama when we reorganize subforums we get drama releasing anything with bugs. can never please you ****ers. :D

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

On the upside, the moderators won't be changing. :D

Looking forward to seeing how this works out. I think it provides an opportunity to create a truly vibrant Lamborghini-centric community, and the good news? All of you guys are in on the ground floor pointing the way.

If Rob's plan is to build it in such a way as to maximize organization and minimize conflict, what could be better?

Fingers crossed that this works out.

D

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    another thing we have 5 full time staff and 4 of them are in Miami for the event this week. LamborghiniChat will be the priority next week. Please continue testing, we haven't received any bug reports, so that must mean's it's PERFECT! ;)

16. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I've mentioned before about the white on yellow buttons, but I find the yellow on white links just way too hard to read. The contrast between the colors is too low and the brightness too harsh. Almost like the site would be better with a black background, and this either white (or off-white/grey) and yellow text on black.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sending the feedback right away. thanks!

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I was simply trying to be helpful by providing a model breakdown purely for consideration as one of many voices, but if it makes you feel better I'm happy to be named owner & advocate!

Seriously, I think it will be just fine.

Boomhauer and rob lay like this.
  19. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    Can we get a miura thread dedicated to each car. That way when I search for a specific car I don’t have to go through a 1000 page thread

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    There are multiple Miura Registries in existence elsewhere online that cover each car individually.

Meanwhile if you are looking for a particular car here, the search function works.

21. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    the problem with the miura registries I have found is that they just state one side of

true. but the only thing that's bad about the search function is when there is one miura thread with multiple simultaneous conversations a recent example was SV 5110. I recently saw the Kidston Instagram that showed it with the SV fuel opening and hood vents missing. So I decided to look up more into this and a few registries list it as the last SV. Then I decide to look it up in this ebook I have that says this is an error (you wrote it). Then I search the mega thread in here and see some back and forth over it. It would be nice to get all that info in one 5110 specific post as a way to centralize the info. One could easily read 5 different accounts of this being the last car and then erroneously go on to quote it as fact.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's the nature of historical material, there'll always be multiple sources, and it's up to you to corroborate information.

23. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I just want a ride back to memory lane. And also would like my login info to transfer.

I am going to miss the ease of just browsing here though, but we will see how it all goes.

24. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    One thing I really like about the Fchat update is that, without scrolling back to the top of the page, I can put my mouse over the sign in section and just type.

rob lay likes this.
  25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    First sentence will still be good for you. Browsing will be exact same and login same if you keep it same. We'll also continue to have a link here to LamborghiniChat and there to FerrariChat. Thanks.