Lamborghinis at auction | Page 109 | FerrariChat

Lamborghinis at auction

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    @ RM Sotheby's Scottsdale Arizona 19th-20th January 2017 auction, 1121252 received a high bid of $530,000 but was listed as DNS (Did Not Sell) .

Leo, I don't mean to generalize, we know some cars have been re-caulked with Urethane just because of aged or dried-out Silicone, but when you look at certain cars which have been re-caulked, this alone is a good reason to look more closely to establish why it was done and explore further. That's my point.

I've seen that link in the past, there is indeed a lot of misinformation that is continually disseminated about about these cars.

The latest thing that has just been drawn to my attention is the assertion posted elsewhere that JLA12218 (the yellow Countach being discussed) sold for $260k plus 12%, which is also misinformation, it did not sell.

Lemacc likes this.
  2. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
  3. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Correct, i watched the auction live, high bid was 260. But owner opted not to sell at that price, personally,i think 260 + 12% =291$all inn, was a strong nmbr for this car.

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
  5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    FYI, so as to limit the continued dissemination of misinformation, if it's above $250k it's 10%, not 12%, a moot point anyway because a sale never happened.

Adding 12% to a supposed High Bid to suggest that $291k is the value of this car creates a false premise, as there is nothing to support that number because the result of the auction was a no-sale. Yes people do it all the time, but it is, as they say, meaningless. High Bid followed by no-sale is rarely used by the market-astute as gospel for valuation purposes, because for all intents & purposes the car had zero real interest and the auctioneers elicited a bid from the chandelier to somewhat protect the vendor’s value interests, before moving along to the next car.

In current times, many collectors have learned to wait to buy quality rather than fill their garages with sub-standard cars or projects, and IMO the real reason this car did not sell, besides it's poor quality as described above, is because it is a USA version also featuring components that today's Countach buyers just don't want. Thinking about this car as a professional, knowing that a complete restoration which it needs is a $300k proposition, I’d say that a realistic buy on this car ought to be $175k to $200k, and I believe that's being generous.

rambointhegarage likes this.
  6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #2706 PineChris, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2018

Well, considering its been bid into the mid $250's more than once Id say your evaluation as wrong as usual.

7. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    More than once for real? Or more than once then no-sale because thats what the vendor demanded it goes to on a chandelier basis?

8. Auctions are funny & yes the bid could really just be fake. They are allowed to raise it up to the amount below reserve without a real bidder, IIRC as Roy and a few others have said before. I don't know about this one, maybe somebody that was there knows.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If you'd like to include DNS (Did Not Sell) numbers as an indicator of values, then, here are most of the Fuelie Sales over the past year or so:

JLA12232 - $236,500 - 2017 Barrett-Jackson

HLA12123 - $251,000 DNS - 2017 https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-lamborghini-countach/

HLA12185 - $264,000 - 2018 Bonhams

JLA12232 - $236,500 - 2017 Barrett-Jackson

JLA12232 - $160,000 DNS - 2017 Atlantic City GPK Auctions

KLA12421 - $175,000 DNS - 2017 Atlantic City GPK Auctions

HLA12086 - $81,400 DNS - 2017 Gooding (we previously sold this car for just over $200k to a dealer as part of a multi-car deal)

HLA12197 - $264,000 - 2017 RM Sothebys

HLA12218 - $260,000 DNS - 2018 RM Sothebys

As such, the average value for a Countach Fuelie based on the numbers is @ $214,200.

Bear in mind that some of these cars such as HLA12086 and HLA12123 have been low-mileage examples (@ 6,000 miles) in great condition with all ancillaries, so this is truly reflective of the market.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It's actually had 3 DNS (Did Not Sell) results in recent times, and one can conclude that the bid elicited from the chandelier was perhaps understandably to protect the interests of a regular consignee. The way auctions work, if the bids are real or of any substance, a deal is almost always subsequently worked out post-sale.

Correct.

11. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Fair enough, i paid 85 k for my car, 11 years ago ,my good friend paid 275 Mecum Indy 2017, bumpers and all,and ready to spend another 40 or so for a good conversion,he loves his car,so yes ,you are absolutely right, fantastic car, great value. Now back on topic, the yellow car was in fact bid/ iloabw,on live stream tv 250-260, i did actually see this,claiming othervise is nothing but speculation at this point, for a brief moment i thought we had got past this bickering.

12. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Oh I wish I could buy one for 85K!

Sorry - your comment was a bit unreadable to me - but were you saying you saw a live real person bidding at 250-260? Or you just saw the auctioneer accepting bids at 250-260? There's a difference. The latter could be "chandelier" bids as previously mentioned.

Personally, regarding that car, 85K would be about my limit. Yellow is the worst color I could imagine anyone offending a car with (of the standard car colors - I'm sure people have requested worse custom colors), so it would require a complete repaint (aside from the cosmetic issues that have been reported). For me, it really is an unappealing car despite my desire to own one.

13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    It was in fact an live action, and i agree could very well be the Chandelier,but at this point, the only reference is the stated nmbr on the screen and the auctioneers voice, everything else is speculation, also, i love Yellow.

14. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    So basically, you don't know if it was a real bid or not. But you like yellow. :)

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #2715 joe sackey, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    If you actually read my post, you wouldn't need to ask this question, but allow me to share it with you again: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146172571/

Market Data speaks for itself.

Again, if you'd like to include DNS (Did Not Sell) numbers as an indicator of values, then the average value for a Countach Fuelie based on the numbers is @ $214,200.

Couldn't be simpler, just decide whether DNS numbers matter or not, either way as far as I'm concerned, the choice is yours, but I can tell you again that to anyone astute, DNS numbers are not taken as gospel for value.

Bickering? That's rich coming from you just days returned from a record two-time ban ;)

As Early Cat said above "They are allowed to raise (the bid) up to the amount below reserve without a real bidder" so, despite, what you saw on live stream, do you not see how this car with it's current poor condition as described above by Allan Lambo and poor auction track record falls into that category?

Actually, what you or anyone else is saying about JLA12218's so-called $260k bid which resulted in a DNS is the only part that is speculation.

Market Data collated over many sales over the past 18 moths that includes many sold cars is not speculation, that's verifiable value results.

16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Correct and more than that,Love yellow, might add an anniversary car to my garage,and guess wich color,you got it, Yellllow, smiley face.

17. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Just out of curiosity - are those side skirts original? Every other 88.5 or Anniversary model I have seen have 2 fins/3 "channels" - this only has 1 fin and 2 channels - is that factory or are they aftermarket?

18. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    They’re factory, there’s a thread or post on them somewhere around here.

19. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Cool - thanks! In all my research, that's the only one I can remember with those skirts.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Suuure.

Keenly-observed Dean, they are indeed factory original.

In 1987, the first handful of side-skirted cars received side-skirts with just one one strake or fin.

I'm not sure why this was changed to twin strakes or fins for the rest of production, and I'm guessing there were @ 4-5 of these as not many have been sighted in the past 31 years.

Here below is one of them, a Downdraft delivered to Turin, Italy on the 23rd of September 1987, if that means anything for production placement

Correct.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    With a very special Burburry's tartan interior if I remember correctly.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct.

23. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Every photo looks like it's been cropped badly ... WTH?

24. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    It appears that trial items were supplied in fives and nothing was ever wasted. This includes everything from trial chassis and bodies to the most minor of items including the red switch panels on my car that were subsequently changed to blue. Examples are everywhere...