Lamborghinis at auction | Page 98 | FerrariChat

Lamborghinis at auction

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #2426 joe sackey, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Perhaps, but useful kitsch which is the best kind as this Breguet clock reminds us that time is money! Fortunately for the buyer of this Diablo, this expensive watch came pretty much free, as others point out the car didn't bring much of a premium even with it's low miles ;)

Over a century ago, some saw the work of a certain Peter Carl Fabergé as nothing more than expensive kitsch created to appeal to people who didn't know much about art :eek:

Meanwhile, aren’t Breguet known for some state-of-the-art watches and clocks, along with an important automotive association via Bugatti et al? http://watchesbysjx.com/2016/02/breguet-acquires-clock-made-for-bugatti-royale-once-the-worlds-most-expensive-car.html

Anyway, Ferrari were not the only ones to mount expensive Jaeger clocks as interior appointments, Maserati which you specialize in did so too - in the 3500 for example. The best LP400 I owned was the ex-Albert Silvera LP400 and I loved it's TAG Heuer dash-mounted clocks, as does the current owner.

By the way, totally agree about the 350 GT, stunning car!

ralfabco likes this.
  2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Joe, I was refering to THAT particular clock in the Diabolo.
    Its definitely not the best design of Breguet.

As of the Fabergé work: done at a time when this was the taste of the happy few. Long gone now and can not compared to the Diabolo, a car that came around 70 years later. The TAG Heuer was a clock designed in the 60s/70s and so fits perfectly in an LP400.
    Yes, both Ferrari and Maserati sometimes got it wrong in taste - but this was in the 1960s (OK, we must not talk about the notorious Maserati Biturbo from the 8os.

This -IMO- rather ugly clock that looks like being visually created in the times of the US Civil War has nuttin`to do in a 90s supercar!

3. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    the breguet clock was the most expensive option for a diablo at the time
    some were put even on LM002
    AND i found out even the 20 or so built are not exactly the same...some have car VIN on and some not and even the models are slightly different
    so almost impossible to find one exactly the same as an other

like it or not, eery single one of them was and still is an almost unique item

as Walter, i was not a fan of them until i seen one in person so i bought the first one that came out at auction Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Diablo_4_Ever

Diablo_4_Ever Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Netherlands
  5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Your opinion is appreciated but FWIW the reason for my Fabergé reference was made simply to underscore the age-old undeniable adage, Taste is Subjective or, let me put it another universal way, Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.

I agree that the Breguet clock in the Diablo looks like a vintage piece from an earlier era, which is actually what I like about it, personally I would place it around the era of World War II, regardless, this reminds us of another saying, Good Design is Timeless.

Thanks for sharing, interesting to know there were variances, if I bought a Diablo and it had a Breguet clock, I certainly would not get rid of it.

Funny story - 20 years ago I had one of those watches and mine literally fell apart, cool watch though!

6. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
  7. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    #2436 roytoy2003, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    and YOU CAN BUY THIS ONE prior to it going to auction, save the Auction buy fees.....

SWEET in today..
    1991 Lamborghini DIABLO.
    ONE owner from new with only 6,231 miles

BOTH keys, all books, tools, wing...just a time capsule kept Diablo.

I am doing new tires, battery, alignment and balance, all fluids, filters, fluids as well as a 15K major service to it prior to sale so it is as GOOD as it gets to drive and enjoy this appreciating asset.

Open to pre-advertised offers.

Just take a look at the two, comparable to this just sold at Scottsdale Auction for $197,500 and $192,000.00. These cars are for sure on the way up. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    This Countach was built by Lamborghini in 1989.

9. Diablo_4_Ever

Nov 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    Nice color combination for the 2wd; don't forget to adjust the turning signals as they are currently upside down, common mistake

10. Diablo_4_Ever

Nov 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    There are also no 1996 Diablo SE, I guess RM Sothebys means year of first registration

11. rhyno

rhyno Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Do you have a picture of one in a LM002? I would like to see where it’s mounted.

12. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    unfortunately i did not save it .... :(

13. Diablo_4_Ever

Nov 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    I know we are going offtopic but I just did a bit of googling on the Breguet chronometer. I read one source that said that these were limited to 100 pieces, another one says 50 pieces. RM Sothebys says 21, which is an exact number, I don't know their source. Perhaps not all of them were actually installed, or some were installed in LM002. In addition, slightly different versions were used. What is interesting is that the number on the lower right seems to correspond with the chassis number end of the car for which the chronometer was originally ordered, so if it was removed at some point (or the order cancelled) it would theoretically be possible to find the original car that it belonged to.

This is the only picture that I can find right now for LM002
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Wow, RM Sotheby's estimate on the NO mile Diablo 6.0 SE seems light... ??? And the LM002??

15. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    Yes, The VIN tells the story. My comment was tongue and cheek in reference to the MANY inaccuracies listed within descriptions of a lot of Countach listed for sale at auction houses over the years. How does that happen ? If they can't get the model year correct, when all you need to do is read the VIN, why would you believe anything else in the description ?

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #2445 joe sackey, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    You really have to do your own due-diligence with auctions, and in fact with any car for sale.

375+ likes this.
  17. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i have seen one in a diablo roadster also (not sure if original application or added at a later time though...)
    as for the VIN number on the clock: yes, exactly
    but few clocks have no number on it and the plate is empty. no idea if they were built for future orders or for post sale application...

18. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Dont know anything about the LM<, however the SE, it was for sale at Lamborghini La Jolla for a while, it then was sold at Auction at Barrett Jackson in 2012 at Scottsdale. It is a CANADIAN car its not a USA car. I dont recall what it sold for, I think it hammered at $180 or so back then...here is the old add for it

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2001-LAMBORGHINI-DIABLO-COUPE-116107

19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Sold for $231,000 all in at Scottsdale 2012.

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Strategy!

21. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Correct. It can draw in more bidders. Case in point, I had my eyes on a 23 window bus estimated between $80-$110k at the Bonhams auction which seemed like a steal to me. It ended up going into a multi bidding war and hammered at $200k plus fees last weekend.