Lambos on Copart | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lambos on Copart

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by 4re Nut, Aug 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Don't delude yourself about flood damaged vehicles. Just think how many corroded electrical connectors you could have. Ask yourself how much patience do you have tracing down electrical gremlins, especially the intermittent kind.

2. C Commndr

C Commndr Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2011
    True that. Also, run away from exotic salvage cars. They will never be as good as their non-totaled counterparts unless you spend an obscene amount of money, or own or have access to a body shop with the latest and greatest. Once in a while, at the auctions, a theft recovery exotic shows up, and a few of those may be worth the gamble on the count of their bodies being straight but the vast majority are not worth the bother. If you can afford intact exotic cars, then don't try to save a buck by going the salvage route, unless you are not bothered by a car that will have alignment issues and body panels that will never align within specs.

3. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ......................................................................................sorry but not totally true ,I bought a salvage Diablo Sv , + have been driving it for 2 years , its got a perfect alignment , I replaced some chassis tubes ,I could not care any less about what my car is worth, it drives great , is fast as the Devil ,, i replaced a door , it took a while to get it right , it fits perfect , perfect body alignment , , no obscene amounts of money spent , but , i would not advise someone to just go out + buy a salvage exotic .

4. C Commndr

C Commndr Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2011
    Well, I was talking about someone that is going to buy one and have someone else fix it. A person spending their own time fixing an exotic can spend the hours to get it just right. But getting it just right with hired help will most often be too expensive. That is why the exotics were totaled by the insurance companies, in the first place.

5. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    A good friend of mine bought a Diablo that had been smeared in the rear quarter. They welded in some tubes, replaced a battery, put on a new quarter and painted it and you could never tell the thing was hit..... problems? NONE. He's been driving it every week for years now. You can make it work out but it all depends what you start with.

6. C Commndr

C Commndr Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2011
    #56 C Commndr, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, they all say that but trust me if it was that easy and cheap to make them right, then the insurance companies would have done it instead of totalling them. And do you really think your friend is going to tell you that everything was not on the up and up? Also, could be that your friend has connections and can get quality work for cheap. Furthermore, to the untrained eye most repairs look like they were never hit. Look at the picture of an Enzo that was totaled but fixed. I got it from another thread, here. Many on that thread said it looked perfect but it is far from perfect. The panel gaps on the right do not line up as well as the panel gaps on the left.

In addition, I screwed around with a few salvage cars and lived to regret it. Not exotics but luxury cars so I am not talking out of my whatever.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    .....................................................................I totally agree with that statement , you need to have some mechanical and body work skills if you buy a salvage car ,, thats why people that have money buy nice undamaged cars, for twice or 3 times or more the money that a salvage car costs ,. I think its all in who you are and what you want , if you want a perfect car , you buy the best car you can find , money no object , if you are a car + motor head, but do not have a money no object mentality , or just don`t have enough money to buy Lamborghini Diablo , Murci, or G car in great condition then a Salvage car might be your only option , or you can dream about having one for the rest of your life ,+ never drive or own one ., which is sad .

8. C Commndr

C Commndr Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2011
    #58 C Commndr, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    I was a lurker here before I signed up, and there was an individual who posted about buying a wrecked Lambo and fixing it yourself. Are you that individual? I always wondered whatever happened with that.

9. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ................................................I did buy a wrecked Diablo , I would not buy a submerged salt water damaged car , ( unless it was dirt cheap ) i know the damage salt water can do , So my car is being driven daily , it still needs some body work on the rear quarter panels , + i am having a great time driving it , a shopping cart rolled into my car a few months ago , hit me right in a dent , no big deal , its dented anyway , I think soon i will get to finish the body work probably next year. But i am different than most people , I care more about how my car runs and drives than how it looks . if you remember 90% of the people stated + urged me to stay away from the car , I am glad i did not , its a real 200mph supercar , + its reliable as any new car out there . it is difficult to drive in the cold , but thats just the way it is ,mid engine , 500+ HP , wide tires , cold road , , you have to be careful., no sleeping behind the wheel , or you will crash .

10. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
  11. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    #61 Champboat/Champcar, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    .................................................As with any car its worth a different amount to different people , some people will not even go near it .i think its worth the asking price , but thats just me , the auction has a make offer option , so it does not hurt to make a offer . My Diablo SV has gotten offers around mid $ 40K , but i would not sell it for that, I even got a offer for $ 35 K for the motor + transmission .which i declined, so every person has their price .

12. C Commndr

C Commndr Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2011
    Run away as fast as you can or wait till you could see it in person. The car comes with some of the parts to fix it or looks like it has been worked on, and which could mean that someone bought it before this ebay seller and tried to fix it. They then discovered it was too expensive to even bother and sent it back to the salvage auction to make it someone else's headache.

13. C Commndr

C Commndr Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2011
    Yeah I remember almost everyone advising you against it. Cool that you got it and are now enjoying it.

14. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ....................................................................... Thank you , it was not easy , ,and for me it was alot of money , but yes it brings enjoyment everytime you get behind the wheel , i remember the first time i got it running , i was in shock by the sound of the motor !

15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #66 4re Nut, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Can someone tell me what ``Pure Sale `` or `` On Minimum Bid ``, i was thinking the second one is like a reserve the insurance company has in mind, but Pure Sale ?

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Per the glossary on Copart's site:

18. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Looks like I'd need a broker to bid in Cali. Any leads out there?

19. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    .............................................you need a broker no matter what unless your a registered dealer , , what you do is on the site there is a list of broker assistants , you call the assistant , you leave a small percentage down with the assistant + he or she will bid for you .

20. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    .........................................................................................................................thank you Steve , i appreciate that .( i must have missed it )

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #73 phrogs, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    check with your state to see what the requirments are to be a dealer and be able to purchase these cars. In Michigan its around a $200 fee to the state yearly to be a dealer that can buy salvage cars. Much cheaper than dealing with a broker. but its not as easy as just paying a fee.

22. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Happy to help!

23. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    ....it is scary how many cars with 'engine fire' as the reason are on here.