News

Lancia Beta Zagato

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Santiago Montenegro, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Please talk me out of getting one of those...

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Nov 5, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Dom V.
    #2 Dom, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    I had one during my last year in college (late 1980's) Great little car, but a rust bucket. Legendary Italian quality (that's a joke). Also, if it matters to you, front wheel drive.

But, as a college student, it was amazing. Semi convertible, and with back seats. People really couldn't fit in the back seat, so they would sit on the rear trunk with their feet on the seats, while holding on to the "roll bar".

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Santiago Montenegro likes this.
  3. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    You're not helping that much , LOL

Tu160bomber and Dom like this.
  4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    OK, here goes - The Betas are not Lancias. The Beta is basically Fiat. Yes, the Beta is very lovely to look at - nice proportions, nicely styled.. but technically it is a Fiat with nearly nothing of the engineering talent that Lancia was famous for. This was the time of transitioning everything to plastic - The interior parts are weaker than the bra straps on a Brazilian girl's bikini. Everything is fragile and breaks, with no spares and no aftermarket support. Electricals are Fiat and at least that gives you some parts exchange, but still hard to find parts. There was a very nice one for sale in Washington a few years ago, Asking $2,300 and it didn't even sell at that. Tragic for a "car-guy" to see such loveliness go unwanted - but here is a good reason for it.. it is too painful to own a lovely car that is so maddeningly frustrating to keep fixing. Cheers, - Art

5. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    go here : lancisti.net good source

6. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Ok, that's more like it. Furthermore, seller's being uncooperative, so I think I'll pass.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Good. And just to be sure you don't try it again - the steel used in the construction was an inexpensive soft alloy, combined with poor management of water runoff gave that era of Lancia the same problem as Fiat and Alfa - they rust like crazy. The Gamma was not terrible, but most other Lancias in that period were terrible. Cheers.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Global Moderator Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Yes, I have one
    I had one for a while. Everyone loved it, more thumbs up than the Ferrari. Drove it from St. Louis to Dallas back in the late 2000s. It ended up sidelined for electrical problems, and then the hood latch cable broke and I couldn't get the hood open. It's one that I wish I kept, but I needed the space. Fun car. But good luck finding parts.

Here's the old for-sale thread for pics: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/dfw-lancia-zagato-for-sale.178164/

9. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Many parts available :
    Midwest Bayless
    The Monte Hospital

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk