Lancia Scorpion Pics and discussion | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Lancia Scorpion Pics and discussion

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by BLUROAD, Sep 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Nope. It looked just like a big mess and car was covered so you really wouldn't have seen much. Homeowner's insurance adjuster took some pics and wrote a fat check. Just finished demolishing, hauling away and buying materials for new better 4-car garage.

2. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #152 Tony K, May 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Nice Tony. How much did she set you back? tell us more about this car.. JJ

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Seems pretty original based on your single pic, although more pics would help. (hint, hint)

5. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    nice!!!

strange that red seem to be a rare color for scorps

im trying to clean out my garage.... need any scorp parts?

regards

hf

6. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #156 ProRallyCodriver, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
    Looks like a Ansa quadtip exhaust. Pinstrips.

The 77 I still have was that red,

7. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Worldwide sold one last weekend at their Houston Classic Auction during the Keels & Wheels show for $16,500. It was a no reserve 1975 Beta Montecarlo, looked pretty good in silver. Lot # 181

http://www.wwgauctions.com/

8. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #158 Tony K, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
    Hi JJ (& everyone),

It's Scorpion #1777 (not on the registry yet!) :)

It is very complete and original, but needs a lot of work and some tlc. Looks like one owner 1977-2009 (previous title said mileage when purchased was "1"), 2nd owner just held the car since last year (didn't do much to it), now me. Where it strays from originality is in that it has been repainted, the ANSA exhaust, and as pointed out, the pinstripes. May have an upgraded carburetor -- not sure, but air cleaner is Bayless. Mileage is 67,772 as I write this.

What's good about it: it's as rust free as you'll find in the eastern U.S. The ONLY rust to speak of is some bubbling at the bottom of the doors, and the occasional bubble the size of a pencil eraser tip here and there. The car looks clean and solid around the bonnet vents, strut towers, floors, wheel arches, even the battery tray! :)

Also, it has almost all of the original parts and details -- fuse box cover, fuse box panel, original keys, antenna, underbody ducting in front, underbody tray in the rear, spare, engine bay deck heat shield, straps, top, windshield -- all original and in good shape. Everything works, too. Only thing really wrong with the interior is the driver's seat is split . . . and there's mouse poop everywhere!

The story goes like this (not verified, but nothing apparent to contradict it): The original owner owned a lot of rare cars in a big collection. He drove this car for a number of years, his son drove it in college, and then the car was put away in storage. I've been told it was in storage for 15 years, but I suspect it may have been more than that -- the remnants of the last PA inspection sticker in the window looks like "88" -- but that's not say there weren't later ones more cleanly removed.

Anyway, I'm told that the original owner moved out of state (to the Carolinas), and sold off a bunch of cars in an auction, which I believe was handled by a local car dealer (Chevy dealer, perhaps?). Near Chambersburg, PA. That's where the 2009-10 owner bought it. He said that the cover on it had "2 inches of dust," but when they pulled the cover off of it, it looked like it had just been waxed.

Indeed, it looks like whoever stored the car did all the right things to preserve it -- every piece of bare metal on the car -- latches, cylinder head, you name it -- is coated with corrosion inhibitor. The rubber parts look like they were coated with some kind of preservative, which has since dried and is now peeling/flaking off. The Ansa system is in great shape. There is no sign of condensation damage underneath, too. The windows roll up and down nice (they're manual), and the latch pulls work smoothly. But there's mouse poop everywhere!

To get the car going, I will have to replace all of the belts and hoses due to age, as well as the tires, shift bushings, and brake master cylinder. From there, I will see what it needs. If it doesn't already have a 2-liter, I will be looking for one. :)

The paint is of average quality (it looks like enamel, and considering its age, it probably is). and should look decent polished out save for a few scratches and bubbles. It'll do for now -- won't detract from enjoying the car. It has some minor accident repair on the pass. door and quarter panel just behind it, so I'd like to replace them at some point and then paint the car.

Most of all, I'm just looking to enjoy it. :) I missed my blue one (shown early in this thread). It, too, had a lot of little original bits that are long gone on most Scorpions, so I was glad to see this one so intact.

This Scorpion will remain part of my permanent collection. I'm even giving it a higher status over my 308. We (my wife and I) have had it for less than a week, but it is already special to us. Here's a little story:

I owned my first Scorp from 2003-2005; this was the time when the lovely angel who was to become my bride and I were dating. We took some fun little trips in the car, and she liked it. Much more than the 308. I sold it to raise funds and make space for a Lotus Esprit.

But I always missed the Scorpion a little bit. These cars just have a certain charisma about them that the more exotic cars don't. And they're so Italian -- in design and spirit -- there's just something about them.

As more money and garage space became available, I always said that if the right one came along, I would buy it.

So, imagine this: I was browsing eBay, checking Lancia as I always do, and there's this red 77 Scorpion. . . .

Let's see . . . it's a '77 (I like the glass buttresses), looks original and complete, body looks good, already has a pair of Bosch fog lights, it's only one state away (as opposed Arizona or California) so I won't blow a couple grand on getting it home, and . . . the VIN.

My wife and I were married July 7, 2007. 7-7-7. Yes, we were one of those millions of couples on that day. ;) So the number 777 has since been fun to us. This is THE glass buttress Scorpion with "777" in the VIN. And the odometer -- 67772 . . . This was the right one!

So I called my wife over to the computer room . . . .

Me: "Look!"
    Her: "It's cute. I did like the blue one. :)"
    Me: "It's near by, not rusty, looks complete, glass buttress, and it's number 1-777!"
    Her: "Wow! :)"
    Me: "Can we buy it?"
    Her: "Okay. It'll be fun! :)"

To make a long story short, I called the seller and made him my best offer, which I also felt was fair to him. I wasn't going to scrutinize the car or waste his time asking for a bunch of photos, and wasn't worried about what it would need, as this one's going to be a keeper. After a little bit of getting to know the seller over the phone and a couple of days of waiting for others to not follow through on their higher offers, he called me back and we had a deal.

The next evening, I was over in south central PA with cash in hand, and came home with the Lancia and a big grin on my face. :D

So, #1777 has found a caring home, and will be cherished for years to come. More pictures to follow, once I get it cleaned up and have a bit of time.

More pics to come! Will be a week or so . . .

Yes -- and there is no hurry for this: I'd eventually like to get a passenger door, and cut away the passenger door jamb and quarter panel behind the door jamb from a scrapped Scorpion to replace that in #1777. There's filler in both panels, and a little bit in the jamb area in front of the latch. Would like to make it all steel and have perfect lines.

It's missing the lens for the light in the engine bay, the jack, and the tool kit is a gray FIAT kit rather than a black Lancia kit. It will need a parking brake surround, and I'd be interested in any spare '77 interior parts in excellent condition.

If you have new rubber parts (hoses, belts, brake hoses, etc.), I'll be looking for those eventually; also brake master cylinder.

I don't know how the struts are, so those are on my potential wish list.

I'd love to pick up a set of Beta wheels like my blue one had, and quality spacers to bring the wheels out to match the offset of the 13-inchers.

And of course, if you have a 2.0 out of a Beta (either carbed or injected, I'd be happy with either), I'm interested.

If you have other Scorpion stuff, PM me -- I might need it and not know it yet, or might just be interested anyway . . . let me know what you have!

Whoa -- this post is getting long!

What can I say -- I like these cars! :D

Cheers,

Tony

9. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #159 ProRallyCodriver, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
    I was driving my old 77 yellow supercharged Scorpion/037 with who is now my father-in-law riding shotgun when I asked him for permission to date his daughter. He flipped out that day, blew a gasket the next day thinking about it and had to go to hospital.

10. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #160 hyenahf, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    tony

i have the whole instrument panel in great shape, no fade plastic or tears. ive havent seen all the part in 12 years. all packed away nicely to use once i pick up another car but most likely it wont happen. i luv those cars but have moved on. so if you or anyone is interest i have to go check my storage

what i remember i have very rare koni sport struts with 2 sets of aftermarket performace springs. one of the rear struts was damage but koni of america sent me new guts (i think from x19) to repair it since the mc/scorp unit are no longer available.

all sorts of stuff like HP carb (weber 38 dtmr)? with ported manifold, it ran much better with this set up than sexy the 42 dcnf with aquati set up. a westcoast scorp guru named eddie Tuason ask me how i built the motor cuz its one of the fastest and best tune scorp he'd come a crossed. i told him you should have seen how fast and smooth it ran before i put in the 42 dcnfs...lol one of my 2 scorps was bought from Ferrari of Seattle mechanic. it was set up beautifully.

also ive late beta grill that looks like a euro series 2 MC, spare head 2L beta ,high output scorp water pump with the deeper impeller, ronal wheels and probably a lot more i dont remember etc, . 15x7 if i can find them. scroll up and u can see my old silver scorp with the wheels (post #73). i would love to get rid of the whole thing together if possible so i dont have the hassle to deal with it. so if you and few friends can get together and split it that would be great.

in a bind, if memory serves, you can use a x19 MC if you plug one of the circuts with a ball bearing. changing the MC in a scorp is a nightmare!

btw like yourself i have an early esprit and 308 (sold) also

warm regards

ps excuse all the typo's !

11. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    You can just plug that extra hole with a set screw... on the Master Cylinder.. Eddie and I did 3 of them on three scorpions in a month...

12. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    that doesnt seem like a lot of fun.... too much blood in the head being inverted!

come to think of it i think eddie has my ronals... are they in vagas now?

i take it if you u know eddie you probably know jennes as well?

cheers

hf

13. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    I wouldnt say I know them... I would say they know me......

14. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Bump for the Scorpion thread! :)

hyenahf , Mike Tuason, and anyone else: If you still have any Scorpion parts sitting around you would like to sell, please email me at racing_nut_1 {at} yahoo {dot} com. I am particularly looking for brown interior parts and a parking brake surround, but want to hear what else you have, as I may be needing it soon.

Since this thread was last active, my Scorpion was the recipient of a 2.0 from a '79 Beta Zagato parts car (back in October-November). The engine was rebuilt, and I am using the 1.8 head. The Zagato also donated a 5th gear set that should bring the RPMs down a bit on the freeway, and a set of 14" Beta wheels that will be refinished in the spring. Still have brake work and tuning to do. Hurry up, Spring!!

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. -- More pictures of Scorpions and Montecarlos, please?!? :D

15. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    ive got a tons of stuff ... and in brown too! heads, high output waterpump, ip, cluster, koni struts, dont know what else everything was packed indoor dry storage years ago. i want to get rid of everything at once and prefer not to dole out bit by bit on evilbay.

lets do some trading! im looking for a set of S2 wheels in decent shape. i'll pm you on the esprit forum...

cheers

hf

16. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Very nice, very nice...

17. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #169 Tony K, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 1977 Scorpion is now fully back on the road after more than 20 years of hibernation. The 2.0 Beta engine conversion is complete, along with just about every other area of the car being freshly serviced with new parts to make it dependable. I put about 80 miles on it on Sunday; driving it is a blast -- I'm still grinning ear to ear! :)

Any fresh Scorpion photos or stories for this thread?

Cheers,

Tony
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I loved my 1977 when I had it. At the time, (pre internet) it was hard to source parts, etc. for it. Now much easier I suppose. I always wanted to upgrade the engine as it was pretty weak. With a 2.0, it should have enough get up to make it really nice to drive. Enjoy it.

19. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
  20. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Following my engine conversion, the car was driven perhaps two thousand miles last year which included one track day. Now, the car is down for some serious paint and interior work. My Lancia is freshly stripped of paint. Also on the agenda is air conditioning. A Sanden compressor has been in-place, just waiting for the rest of the AC upgrade.

The objective is make the car really nice, yet not so nice that it cannot be regularly driven. My vision is to use the car for some road trips with my wife. I hope she likes it, this beast is never going to be fully civilized again.

A fresh look at prices in Europe suggests that the prices continue to rise. This is a great rationale for throwing time and money at these cars. Currently, I see five MC in Europe with an asking price over $20k. -- reference Mobile.de

21. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    anyone here heard of an abarth SE036?

im looking for information of this car. there where mechanical drawings drafted up by abarth. im not sure how far the build went since im not aware of any pictures of this car. its basically a 037 with the MC cabin with front and rear subframe construction. a longitude gearbox zf or one from the 288gto ( i cant really tell from the image i saw ) was mated to the ferrari v8 of the time related to the ones on the endurance racers.

many thanks in advance

hf

22. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Dave -- I think that for as long as I've been into Scorpions, I've been seeing pictures of your cars at events. It's great to see someone drive and maintain their car over such a long time! :)

23. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    I'm a glutton for punishment. In fact I'm kicking myself as I type this.

The latest project for the red 77 is installing Ferrari F40 taillights. I'm attempting to mount them in a moddified Ferrari 360 rear panel. And using Ferrari 575M taillight wiring harnesses.

Was sacralidge hacking in half a perfectly good Ferrari 360 panel.