Larini Exhaust upgrades | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Larini Exhaust upgrades

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Carlos456GT, Feb 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- Affirmative, but you need a way to power them and last time I checked, the 456 does not have a vacuum accumulator to power the pneumatic valves, especially with the hydraulically boosted Teves brakes. I am sure something can be rigged if you really want the valves, but you will need to find a vacuum source and run hoses to a switch operated solenoid valve and then to the pneumatic valves. A good tech can solve all those issues, even if he has to add a vacuum accumulator tank. You would have to watch her like a hawk, though, and make sure to open the valves on acceleration at certain rpms. Otherwise you cork up the performance. The Motronic ECU does that for the Maranellos and later Ferraris.

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Those look like mine. :)

Can't wait to put them on.

3. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
  4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Travis- Yup, like that except without the X feature. Even easier to make than X-pipes. The X-pipe costs a little (very little) hp compared to straight pipes, but some folks prefer the sound of the X-pipe. All personal tastes in exhaust music. Starting in October 2003 with the 575M and 612, Ferrari went to all straight center pipes for the V12s.

5. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I installed the Larini x-pipe last night. I really can't tell any difference in sound level or tone. To be fair it was 3 weeks since I last drove, so it wasn't a back-to-back test. But I would recommend anyone looking for a significant change to start with the mufflers. BTW for anyone doing this make sure you remove the cross member just rear of where the x-pipe goes. Stupid me thought it was welded in place. Wasted at least 30min trying to remover silencer before realizing I could take the member out, which made everything very easy.

6. Carlos456GT

Carlos456GT Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    West Richland, WA
    Full Name:
    Carlos Rivera

My 456 GT is a 1995 so no OBD2. Is there a way do avoid a CEL using test pipes?

7. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    if your car is a 1995 OBD1, then it will not cause a CEL with test pipes..
    just like 1995 F355's.

8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There is no place other than here with this much experience and knowledge on exhaust! I am looking forward to test a Fabio X-pipe and my non-valved Capristo stage 3 mufflers on my Hyperflow cats very soon.... I take things a little step by step. I guess I will end up with a full Fabio system this summer. Just need to make the money since I have made other investments lately.

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'm waiting for my car to get it's major completed so I can install the full Fabio system. Can't wait! :)

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That will be very fun indeed! I also need to give my car a real service first. The good thing is that you can change the midsection to tweek the sound a bit. With the X-pipe the car whines and sounds like a F1 car :)

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As a follow up for anyone considering Fabio's valved mufflers for an early 456, we came up with a couple of solutions. Fabio has tested, on a friend's car, the mufflers by tapping into a vacuum line, installing an inexpensive vacuum canister with check valve, and then wiring an electric solenoid for open / closed.

While researching solutions with him, I found a few companies that make 12v vacuum pumps with remotes for this very purpose. I am planning on mounting the vacuum pump in the trunk and using the 12v constant from the stereo for power. I may start out with the remote, but I am looking into ways to hardwire the pump and sacrificing a dash switch for muffler control (probably the heated mirrors that I never use.)

12. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I've got Quicksilver cat bypass pipes and sport rear mufflers that I'm getting ready to install on a friend's '97 GTA and if they sound as good as I suspect they will, I'll be adding them on my '99 M/GTA. I'll post videos once the '97 is done.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Interesting. I also have a 2003 Maserati Coupe that I plan to put GranSport mufflers on which are valved, but the car has no vacuum system to make those valves work.... can you let me know who makes this etc.? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I was thinking another way to do it.. First of all, I would like to point out that I want to be able to start the engine both with the valves open and closed depending on the situation. And for slow driving for example when coming home late at night or when there is a traffic jam, I want the car to be quiet. But in the same time I would like to be accellerating from slow/standstill to a certain speed without the need to flip a switch on and off. So to keep it quiet all the time is not an ideal situation as it is not good for the engine either.. SOLUTION: 1) have a manual switch at the dashboard to keep it always open, or 2) To make the "auto system" so that over 50 kph the valves open automatic. This way, the car is quiet when going slow, and added backpressure gives more low-rpm torque and less consumption. Over 50 kph., the road noise is more present, and the car can be louder anyway. Also, if you do a sprint out of a traffic light, you get the valves to open about right on the rpms., so you get most power and some extra sound. Then you also still get the sporty sounds when downshifting etc and with little throttle when driving faster than 50.

Like on the Ferraridriver's 550 FHP steering ECU, which has a modified speed signal for less steering power assistance, the same signal on the Maserati's or 456's steering ECU could be used to operat a small relay, so when the speed reaches a certain point, the valves opens.... Can you make this Ferraridriver?? Would be a simple and quite interesting way to approache the whole thing on.

15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    So can we have a video of your 456 with the valved Fabio 456 mufflers? Would be really nice to hear. I bet these with stock catalyzers and an X-pipe would be IDEAL for a 456. My 456 slunded awesome with stock cats and an X-pipe and no rear mufflers, but were a bit loud and sometimes too loud. This would be perfect.

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm probably using this one and hard wiring it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Inch-Remote-Control-Vacuum-Pump-Exhaust-Cutout-Catback-Downpipe-Valve-Kit/282532697721?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- It is probably also possible to set up the valves to work like the vacuum operated rear barrels on 4 barrel carburetors. When the throttle was advanced on those older cars, the increase in vacuum opened up the linkage to the rear barrels. Pretty simple actuators which could probably be adapted to do the same thing on the 456.

18. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Taz,
    that was one of the options, although I don't know the variables - how much vacuum I would get from tapping various lines on the 456 and how much spring strength Fabio's mufflers have. Another factor was I don't have a good working space in Los Angeles right now so I didn't want to deal with working underneath the car. But, It's always something that I can do later.
    I may also play with the stop on the valves (or create one) to more or less tune the open condition. It shouldn't be too much longer, Fabio updates me with his progress daily. He will never be accused of not communicating.

F456M likes this.