Larini - Stay away! | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    Just want to share my experience in trying to order and receive Larini primary and secondary cat deletes for my 89 TR.

Before even placing an order with a local performance parts company which sells Larini products, I asked them if the parts could be received in about 6 weeks. They checked with Larini and Larini said it would not be a problem.

On 06/02 I placed the order and paid my deposit. About a week later I received an email confirming they would be shipped ~07/14. I thought 'Ok, this is more than 6 weeks but I can work with that. These should be here in time for my engine-out service'.

07/14 comes and goes and no communication. So I ask the local vendor and they tell me they are not receiving email replies from Larini. So I reach out to Larini and some dude does reply, stating they will start production the 2nd week of August. I'm not happy, but given the state of the world as we know it right now, I surmise that I'll try to push out the engine-out service.

Mid-August comes and goes and still no pipes and no explanation why. The local vendor stops communicating with me, since I'm later advised that they were not receiving replies from Larini. So I ask Larini directly, and after a while I receive a reply stating they will start manufacturing the 2nd week of September.

Start of September comes and I reach out to Larini to see if we're on schedule, since I'd given up on the local vendor as my emails were not being answered; nothing. Email Larini again - nothing. Emailed today stating I need a reply on the ETA regardless on when it'll be - nothing.

So today I cancelled the order. I'm disappointed because I want the cats gone from my car and do not see the value in paying for higher-end exhaust items from another aftermarket company when no one will see them anyway. I hope I'll get a full refund soon from the local vendor. If not, I'll start another thread detailing their lack of customer service.

In short - stay away from Larini. To say their customer service and scheduling sucks would imply they actual have customer service and a scheduling department. But that's not the case - they simply don't give a toss about the customer, much to your detriment.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  3. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    I have to agree, I ordered a system November 2021 and received the exhaust June 2022, was promised 8 weeks production bit it took more than 6 months.
    The system does not fit well, took time to modify brackets, it is twisted and IMO quality of the welds are not up to standard. It should be fine but way too much elbow grease fitting this.
    The outer 2 pipes were too short, we had to weld an extension to the pipes, not a straight extension but both with a small angle.
    My 2 cents; Pay more or have a fabricator make one locally.

Attached Files:

Elberoth and Col. Kurtz like this.
  4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    My Rave:

If you're on the east coast (New Hampshire area) , take a look at Automotive Speed Technologies. I was very impressed by their professionalism, and gorgeous welds. Looks like space shuttle parts! They distribute HJS out of Germany. A high end cat used on supercars that is pretty, free breathing, and blows clean! I had some questions, and was put me in touch with their engineer at the factory who helped me select a good size, and not 'over'-sell me. I wanted bigger and better / more expensive etc, and the engineer stopped me at a very-very good set. I think they primarily do Porsche, but they helped weld up some sweet looking Ferrari assemblies in seamless stainless.

Good luck in your hunt

Col. Kurtz likes this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel

but they not told you what year ;)

sad to see such a welding

6. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Just wait 'til ya pony-up for a set of the vaunted Tubi headers for a car they don't give a damn about (but will gladly take your $$$ at a super-premium price):
    Somehow, they never managed to convince us that the heads were mounted on the block incorrectly. :rolleyes:

Col. Kurtz likes this.
  7. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you accelerate at about 4500 rpm I hear a bad "tin can rattles", also when you slow down. a noise I not like

Col. Kurtz likes this.
  9. Col. Kurtz

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    That's disgraceful service and quality from Larini. I'm sorry you went through it. F parts already come with a hefty price increase and to get poor quality parts just adds insult to injury.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In my opinion for the TR the only good bypass pipes made were from Hyper Flow. The funny thing is it was their only product that was any good. Probably why they are now out of business. There is a Hyperflow but it is a different company.

They used well made flanges with the fixed and floating flanges in the right place and properly fit the Ferrari gaskets.

Id do a search and try to find a set.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Col. Kurtz likes this.
  11. Col. Kurtz

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    Wow! I like that set-up a lot!

I did a quick search and the only Hyperflow that comes up is one in Australia, and there's nothing on eBay, etc, etc.

Anyone know where I can find a set?? LOL yeah, I know, they are as rare as hen's teeth, but I ask just in case someone has a pair lying around.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You can always go to a good muffler shop that does fabricating for hotrodders and have it made. No need for stainless. With no cats carbon steel will last as long as we do and it can't be seen anyway. I told Troy at Hyper Flow grinding the welds and polishing the stainless is a complete waste of time and doubled the cost.

Find some burned up cats and cut off the flanges.

Col. Kurtz and 2dinos like this.
  13. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    +1
    For some sadistic reason (Thank you CA), I've had the need to get into this more than I would have liked! I realized FIAT exhaust flanges are identical / plentiful / and cheap. Kind of makes sense, possibly a standard, as Ferrari has many more cylinders ( 2 or 3X typically) with the same size tubes for roughly the same displacement. These did work very well.

In my hunt for hardware on yet another project, a friend raved about and shared with me 'Waterjet H2O Precision" 510.781.0746. I gave them a drawing, and got back 8 beautiful flanges cut from 304LSS which were IIRC 1/2" thick. The nice thing about these being thick is they clamp up very neatly. I had to cut the 45° chamfer for the flange gasket. Can't recall exact price, but it was I thought quite reasonable.

How we love them so!!

14. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  15. Sleestak

Sleestak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2014
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    I placed an order for the pre-cat deletes as well. I placed an order online. They didn't take a deposit though. They told me 6 weeks as well. In the meantime, seeing that the pre-cat element, on the stock system, was falling apart, I decided to gut them. I also removed the outer aluminum skin and then had them ceramic power coated black. So, instead of the Larani, I went with a gutted factory pre-cats. Running the Capristo Level 3 and the Capristo Testpipes, the combination worked out perfect.

Four months later, I still haven't heard a word from Larani. Could care less at this point. I do keep an eye on my credit card statement, to make sure they don't charge me. anyways, I'm pleased with my final set-up.

Eric

Elberoth and Col. Kurtz like this.
  16. Col. Kurtz

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    I'm with you 100%. I've already reached out to the thread starter and asked if his exhaust guy is willing to make another unit and the total cost. I'm waiting for a reply.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I got precat deletes from tubi. I like them much better than oem. I still am running my cats, but I have Capristo bypasses in storage. No idea how they are. They could not have been that much more expensive than a Larini?

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont even know what to say. we ordered out stuff during covid...the craftsmanship looks good but my muffler does sit off center.

19. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I thought Tubi are considered the best choice for the Testarossa/512TR?

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    pshoejberg likes this.
  21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I adore my setup. Sounds heavenly and (IMHO) better than my 575 with full headers…

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Larini said they had a fire at their facility a d that has been the cause of their issues fwiw.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Some promising dialogue with Larinj - I think they may have turned the corner. Will keep posted.

24. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    @rumen1 I have Tubi exhaust with no cats. I don’t think there’s a better sounding car:

@Rifledriver Please educate me: what’s the relationship between cats and deterioration of a mild steel exhaust system?

rumen1 likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It deterioates more quicly because of the heat. Also due to the heat differential condensation is a bigger issue.

It was not by accident that when catalytic converters became a fact of life the car industry switched from low cost mild steel exhaust systems to expensive stainless steel.

afterburner, rumen1 and Jay535 like this.