Las Vegas 1964 and today | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Las Vegas 1964 and today

Discussion in 'Las Vegas' started by TheMayor, Jan 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    10 years ago the company I work for started discussions with me about relocating to Las Vegas. I was pretty much dead set against it as I had just 2 years earlier relocated to Broomfield, CO. Well my wife loved the idea and one thing led to another and in August of 2008 we moved here. It sure didn't take me long to fall in love with this crazy city! The Golden Gate is a place where my wife and I would go fairly often for their Prime Rib special and shrimp cocktails. Once they upped the price to around $15 we stopped going as it was no longer a worth while price. Anyway that's where I started to learn about some of the history of Vegas. Their address is 1 Fremont Street. Amazing history there that goes back way before the RAT Pack times. When people come to visit I love to take them to places that aren't "typical" Vegas. Places that teach them about the history of the area and not just the typical strip experience.

Anyway not sure why I got on this subject, oh yea the Golden Gate pictures! Time to stop typing and get back to work. Thanks to all for sharing the photos.

Oh and Keith yes I did, I really enjoyed it. Lots of funny stuff there but amazing history as well.

2. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    "Blood Aces" is a wild biography of Benny Binion and there is also a more scholarly work by Gatewood on his life and times. Tremendous insight into the early days (some of it not very pretty). I can also recommend the Area 51 history (LA Magazine, female author, can't remember actual book title). You'd think it's all about aliens in the morgue but it is an exhaustive and well researched history of Groom Lake, et. al. Scott, one thing I do every trip is to head downtown to the Four Queens or one of the old joints on a Monday morning. The people working are all in their 70's and most go back 40 years. Get on on a $3 or $5 crap table and just starting asking the guys about the old days. Even if you crap out 20 times in a row, their stories are worth their weight in gold.

3. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Funny thing as I learned about Benny Binion through Geocaching. They put a geocache right near the famous house (Lots of links to various stories about what all happened.) When I was there 5 or 6 years back the house was still empty. Just ordered the book, thanks for the heads up!

My Dad worked with missile guidance systems at Sandia Labs in Albuquerque and he spent a lot of time at the test range here. When he was on his death bed I asked him "Does area 51 exist?" He just smiled at me and said "I can neither confirm nor deny the rumors". My wife tells that story often as she was there in the room with us and she laughs that he left me hanging like that. I would love to read a good book on the subject as I have seen many shows, youtube clips etc. on Groom Lake but most aren't very good.

I am not much of a gambler but that sounds like fun and it would be worth paying some money to hear some of the old stories.

4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    while you're on Amazon I can recommend another book for purchase! :rolleyes:

5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Indeed. The US should have imposed a ban on all foreign cars unless Italian :cool:

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Please do

7. JimC

JimC Karting

Jul 11, 2002
    HK / Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I can't remember if I've paid 0.99 or 1.99 the first time I visited that place but it's like a Vegas experience to me. Haha. I wonder if they still have $1 single deck blackjack.

8. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Here it is, the photo I had talked about

Attached Files:

9. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    jm348, SimCity3 and of2worlds like this.
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Cars and everything looks so nice and clean...

11. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I just watched 711 Ocean Drive (recorded on TCM's Noir Alley). Great film that ends at the dam. Interior shots are terrific (filmed in 1950) and still had dirt/gravel roads in exterior shots. Thanks for the great photo Lotaz.

12. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  13. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  14. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  15. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Are those mirrors on the ceiling??

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yeah they do look like mirrors - There's so many connotations in that pic :D

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  18. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow that is a good article, thanks for sharing!

19. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I bought the Vegas Gold book...should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, Bob.

20. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    That book does look cool. I may order it for the wife. We both love pics from that era. Thanks for posting, Bob.

21. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Vegas Gold arrived y'day. Some of the pictures will be familiar to Las Vegas lovers...there is narrative introducing each decade. Some fawning comments by the Paul Ankas, Wayne Newtons of the world, but some cool quotes from Marlene Dietrich, e.g. This is a very stylish and well designed coffee table book. As flashy as the city photographs between its covers. I think I paid $ 30 on Amazon prime. Shipped in two days.

22. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I saw it at our local Costco for $26, so I picked it up. I've only had a chance to flip through the pages a bit, so I haven't read anything in it, but the photography is great.

23. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    #148 TeamF1Jr, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Couple photos late 60s, first is pool at Caesars Palace. The picture below that (Ferrarichat edits name out) was more or less near where Palazzo/Spring Mtn is today. It was the Hard Rock of its day. There is a banner on the sign post that says re-elect Lamb, that's not Sheriff Ralph Lamb, but his brother Floyd for State Senate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow, I have never seen that place in the bottom picture. Learn something new about this town every day I live here. So much fun history here.

25. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

Just ordered it as well. I think my family will enjoy it as a coffee table book especially those from out of town. You keep me buying books Keith! You know, I have bought more books this year than I think I have bought in the last 10. I am falling back in love with "real" books.