LAS VEGAS DINING | Page 3 | FerrariChat

LAS VEGAS DINING

Discussion in 'Las Vegas' started by Steelton Keith, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We are out for our next visit April 12-20. Interested in any recent finds or hot spots in the dining scene. Does anyone live in Dragon Ridge / MacDonald's Highlands area, or have experience with Blue heron builders/ developers? If so, please PM me. We are looking at properties there during our visit. Anyone available for a drink at Bellagio or environs while we are there, it's on us. Thanks, Keith and Janet

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    No info on Blue Heron or the neighborhood, but I can comment on a couple of restaurants I've recently eaten at.

Bazaar Meats: Amazing, highest recommendation (it's sad that it's in the SLS). I've been there twice and everything ordered was great.

Mr. Chow's: Really very good and the atmosphere is great, but maybe priced a little high. We did six-course (I think) chef's choice menu. Everything was very well done, but not THAT different than normal Chinese food.

Sinatra's: Excellent Italian food. Great atmosphere. Sitting outside by the fireplace makes for a wonderful evening.

Carbone: Went there for Christmas Eve and did a feast of the seven fishes dinner. All seven course served on one large platter for the table. THAT was a good meal. High recommendation.

Mark

3. JimC

JimC Karting

Jul 11, 2002
    HK / Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My In-Laws live in Dragon Ridge, very nice and convenience neighborhood. Last time we were in town we've visited the Blue Heron show house at Seven Hills; definitely worth checking it out (spent almost an hour there). The sales manager is very friendly and informative and there are many different options you can choose within a particular floor plan. Just wondering, are you looking for a vacation home?

Saw your earlier post on Chinese food and the closest I've tried comparing to Hong Kong is Asian BBQ & Noodles off Jones and Spring Mountain. One place that we go to when in town is Tonkatsu Kiyoshi (somewhat far out). Also some of our favorite breakfast joints are Bagel Cafe in Summerlin and Babystacks off Stephanie.

4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    JimC. Thanks for the post. We have a buyer's agent and will be looking at several things, esp. Blue Heron townhomes (Sky Terrace and Horizon Lights). We are looking for place to live, not vacation. Will probably live there Oct. through May (we have two other homes).
    I hear good things about the Blue Heron company. We looked at a Dragon Ridge building lot back in 04 or 05. Also looking at some places in Ridges in Summerlin... a good view of the strip is essential for us, as is proximity to a good spot to walk a big dog.

5. Korntera

Korntera Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Happy Valley/Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Just ate at StripSteak last night at Mandalay Bay, we went for the Wagyu, two of us had a rib cap Wagyu and it was worth every penny of the $90 price tag, we also bought a few OZs of the A5 Japanese Wagyu and while it was a slight bit better it was certainly not double the price better. Everything else seemed overpriced.
    Tonight we are heading to Wolfgang Puck Cut for more Wagyu so will be interesting to compare and Saturday rented a 488GTB at exotics racing, but that's not food related.

6. Korntera

Korntera Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Happy Valley/Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Had the chefs sampler of meat for $145 with a 4+ oz portion of Nebraska 35 day dry ages rib eye, American Snake River farms Wagyu ribeye and Japanese A5 Wagyu. First the service at Cut was incredible, every person there knew every bit of the menu, had amazing suggestions and just overall made for an amazing dining experience, the pork belly starter was not really my thing but was also delicious, we had Mac and cheese, polenta and Brussels sprouts for sides and I have never had better polenta or Brussels sprouts and the Mac and cheese was in the top 2.
    The steaks were not as good as they were at strip steak, I preferred their Rib Cap Wagyu over everything else we ate. The two others in my party had Ribeye dry aged Nebraska steaks and they also said while the steak was amazing and was cooked perfectly the quality of meat did not seem on par with the restaurant and I agree, maybe it was just a bad night for that steak. Overall I prefer Wolfgang Puck Cut but the rib cap Wagyu at StripSteak was the best piece of meat hands down.

Drove a 488 at exotics racing today and set the fastest lap of the day at 54.3 but I know that car could probably hit 49 seconds on that track, I was barely pushing it because the limits on that car were so beyond anything else.

7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Anyone been to L'Atelier Joel Robouchon at MGM recently? We are booked in there during our next visit...have not eaten there in 3 years.

8. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

If you like fresh hand pulled Asian noodles made onsite The Noodle Man in Spring Valley, is the best I have found and reasonably priced..small place so around lunch there can be a line and prime time..Dumpling King in Chinatown isn't bad either.. just my 2c.

9. AndrewG2

AndrewG2 Karting

Feb 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    I was there a few months back for the first time. I remember everything being exceptional. We were guests of a couple who were regulars there so I think we were getting the VIP treatment. The food is world class. I don't think you can go wrong. Bring your wallet.....

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Interesting. I've seen the Noodle Man and wondered if it was any good. I have to check it out!

11. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thank you Andrew...I will let you know how it goes. Heading out on the 12th

12. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    For something off the strip, Soho Sushi was excellent.

Sushi Las Vegas, Las Vegas sushi, Best Sushi in Las Vegas

I did omakase and had one of the best sushi meals of my life. You tell them what you want to spend, and they'll tailor a menu to your price. For $45 I had: 1) a tuna sashimi platter (eat slice dusted or seasoned differently), 2) oysters with uni, 3) random sashimi platter that included toro and more uni (again each slice dusted or seasoned differently), 4) a sea bass and duck fat fried pork belly plate, and 5) A5 waygu sashimi.

I was blown away. Amazing meal. The chef also came over to the table and discussed eat plate and couldn't have been friendlier. He asked me if he could experiment a bit, so I told him to go for it. I couldn't believe I only paid $45 for that.

Mark

13. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Le Cirque was terrific last week. After a bit of a slump a year or so ago, the kitchen is back in top form. Service can not be beaten. L'Atelier Joel Robouchon is worth another visit. Very good service (despite a mix up or two) welcoming. Very rich food.

14. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Can't believe I've lived in Vegas since '81' and never had breakfast nor heard of The 'Hash House A Go Go' and their 5 locations til today.

Fantastic! All the dishes they were rolling out around me looked like they just rolled in from the Forum Shops also.

Very impressed.

My Cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider
    2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cab

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Two weeks ago I took a business associate to Nobu in Caesers for a Sushi dinner.

IMO -- overrated for the $280 it costed for the 2 of us.

16. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'd say the same thing about Twist at the Mandarin Oriental. It was good, but not $1800 good for the six of us last month. There's definitely a point of diminishing returns when it comes to restaurants. The best sushi I've had in Vegas is in a small strip mall well south of the city. There are 3 or 4 tables in the place and the owner follows you to your car bowing and saying thank you over and over again, waving as you drive away. Hard to beat that level of customer appreciation when the food is that amazing and inexpensive to boot.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Luckily that was one of the very first restaurants I went to when we first moved to Vegas. My favorite chicken and waffles. Also staples are the gigantic meatloaf and Fontana cheese sandwich, the benedict (has to be 3lbs of food) and if I'm trying to be reasonable, the Andy's sage chicken salad (they'll do grilled) with apples, nuts and mango dressing.

My sushi staples are Sushi-Mon, Sushi Fever and Oishii. Funny enough, all on Sahara, within a mile East and West of Buffalo. I go to Doh once and a while too, Spring Mountain and Valley View.

18. Dave M

Dave M Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    Just booked a trip with few buddies for October. We will be staying at an Airbnb for a few days. We discussed having a personal chef come to the house to do a dinner one or two nights. Anyone ever do this before or have recommendations?

19. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Anyone been to the MIXX lounge at top of Mandalay since it was re-modeled. No interest in food there, it's a nice spot to have a couple of drinks at dusk to watch the lights come on the strip. Thanks. Dave M...PM sent

20. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Not quite a personal chef, but this place does very good food delivered to your door.

CHEFERY

Mark

21. Dave M

Dave M Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks Ill check it out.

22. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    Yardbird @Venetian was really great. Ate a couple meals there and had their burger with pork belly (awesome), chicken and waffles with spiced water melon (amazing chicken and the sauce paired perfectly with the watermelon), bone marrow (always good), deviled eggs with roe (decent but nothing crazy) and a biscuit with ham and cheddar (best biscuit).

One night wait for two was over an hour, but prices are really reasonable and IMO is worth the wait.

23. JimC

JimC Karting

Jul 11, 2002
    HK / Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
  24. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    +1 for "Hash House a Go Go". I went there for breakfast (corned beef hash, poached eggs, fresh OJ as I recall) when I was in town by myself on business for a weekend last fall- was so good I went back for lunch (chicken and waffles) the next day. Happily, I've found that they have an outpost at the Mohegan Sun in CT, much closer to me.

JP

25. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    #75 TeamF1Jr, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    A few more local joints I frequent when I'm at the Vegas house are Nora's, solid choice for Italian on 6020 W. Flamingo and another good catch is Chef Marc's Trattoria on 8615 W. Sahara.

Now for a little rant. Put me down for someone that can't stand Hash House, quite frankly I hated it when the corporate think brought in franchises to replace coffee shops ( I know Hash House is more local ). I guess this stemmed from not only detesting the food, but they wiped out a solid coffee shop at the M Resort for the Hash House and after Hash failed in a year the space now lays vacant for probably a couple years now. Now they force me to that damn deli by the sports book, not exactly a relaxing experience. Or the other corporate technique of shutting the coffee shop early so it forces you to go to the celebrity chef restaurants who are paying rent in the hotel, those celebrity chefs don't want competition you know. The corporate Vegas doesn't want to deal with the food quality, the staff, the expenses, they much rather just collect rent by outsourcing their food outlets. Give me the South Point or Silverton coffee shops any day over Fridays or any other fill in the blank franchises.