Last minute trip to Maui | FerrariChat

Last minute trip to Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by stevenwk, Jul 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Taking the wife and daughters to Maui before end of summer. Can anyone tell me if the Aston Mahana, Aston Kaanapali, Royal Lanai or Sheraton Maui resort are nice places??

We've never been to Hawaii, trying to do it on the cheap as airfare from Michigan is expensive, but willing to sacrifice a little luxury to get over there and save a little $$.

Thanks

2. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We had a corporate event two years ago and stayed at the Sheraton Maui. Very nice - no complaints. Not as upscale as places like the Kea Lani but also not as expensive to your point.

A quick recommendation for something cost-effective and fantastic while you are there is to take the Trilogy snorkel trip. Fantastic day on the water - great food on the boat - great crew and the most amazing snorkeling anywhere as far as I am concerned.

Just something to consider - Cheers :)

3. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve

Thanks Scott.

Probably going to go with the Sheraton as it is more of a 'hotel/resort' as the others are more condo type.

Lastly, I don't know if you've been to Oahu, but an acquaintance of my wife said that there is a lot to do do in Honolulu; Arizona Memorial, North Shore, etc., whereas Maui is a little more sedate.

Any opinion on that? Again, I have my 15, and 17 year daughters and wife me, so I don't want them to get island fever as we'll be there 8 days.

Thanks,
    Steve

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    There is much more to do on Oahu including better shopping.

5. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    Oahu is much more fun and things to do if u have kids.

6. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

7. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have been to both and must say I was bored out of my mind on Maui other than the snorkel trip and going to the Tommy Bahama compound. It's beautiful there but IMO would get old after 8 days - especially with kids. I would recommend Oahu - You can always do a day hop to Maui if you want to check it out.

Cheers!

8. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    This

9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Whenever I had to go to the outer islands, I'd fly in and fly out the same day. If I had to stay there, I'd go bat sh*t crazy. I used to joke with friends why the teenage pregnancy rates are so high on the outer islands. It was because the only thing to do at night is drink and screw.

If you do come to Oahu, PM me and maybe we can meet up.

10. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I went to Oahu and Maui and liked Maui 100X better.

Oahu has great restaurants but it has too much of a Vegas with a shoreline feel too it. We were there for 2.5 days and thought that was more than enough.

We were in Maui for 6 days and loved every day of it. There is a good blend of civilization and pure natural beauty there.

Things to do in Maui
    - Go to Mt. Haleakala (sp?) - do both the sunset and sunrise - the colors of the sky is truly awe inspiring
    - Trilogy excusions
    - Road to Hana - day trip - note: it is extremely windy and may not be the best if any of you suffer from motion sickness.
    - Do a Luau
    - Lots of swimming, snorkelling

Some great restaurants too - our favorite was Mama's Fish House.

11. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    My favorite restaurant in Maui is the Hali'imaile General Store. Our group had time to kill before our flight home and I was lucky enough the taste the best fish (Opah, I think) of my life--never before and never since have I had anything so good, and I have enjoyed a lot of good food! Pick up their cookbook if you get a chance. Beverly Gannon is amazing.

Haliimaile Restaurant

12. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm with Speedy - Oahu is like any other city. Other than the USS Arizona / Pearl Harbor memorial (which was one of the most moving places I've ever been), Maui is so much better.

Maui is laid back - at first, you might be taken back by how barren some areas look. But the place is wonderful - we've been there twice and we could go back 100 times, that's how much we love it.

We brought our kids last time - it was a blast. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua - a little more remote. On our honeymoon, we stayed at the Grand Wailea - the area is a little more populated from the resorts.

Speedy summed everything up. If you have kids, Haleakala may be tough - you have to get up really early. Hana is interesting, but long.

Just chillax and enjoy the beach, snorkeling, lifestyle, etc. I'd also go into Lahaina - that's a little shopping town, it's fun for the kids and some nice restaurants (reminds me of my area a little).

Some great restaurants - if you want scenery, try Mama's Fish House...just stunning.

13. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    +1
    Oahu has the most terrible traffc too

14. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    ... And the roads are much nicer in Maui :)

15. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks again.