Last movie you saw | Page 255 | FerrariChat

Last movie you saw

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PrettyBoy, Jun 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah. The Imax volume was very loud (as usual) so no problems there. The bombings were ridiculous...the seat and I were shaking a lot from it.

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    anyone else notice that the german planes didnt have the nazi symbols? is it PC to not identify who the enemy was?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Those were German planes? :)

My beef with this movie is that the German presence was missing. Two soldiers at the end and a handful of planes dropping in occasionally is not a realistic depiction of the situation they were in. The Germans came across as some random event. Odd choice for scripting

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    People missed the point of Dunkirk. It's not a docu-drama. Its not about what really happened. It's the story of various people caught up in a terrible and frightening situation. It's a story of human nature of survival and risking your life for your country. It's not your typical heroic war movie.

I thought it was excellent. Extremely well edited with a heart pounding soundtrack. And, the best inside the cockpit scenes ever done in a movie.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    +1

I saw some viewers say they were disappointed real Me109s weren't used for the German planes and a Buchon was used. Give me a break...unbelievable people would complain about that.

Someone also mentioned a guy saluting and doing it without his beret on and that's not what would happen as it's against protocol...some viewers just go out of their way to not enjoy things.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #6356 tifosi12, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Seems like a great opportunity squandered on an unbelievable moment in real history.

Aside from that I truly believe the suspense and drama could have been heightened by showing the true drama of situation which was basically one phone call from Hitler away and the standing nearby tanks would have killed all of these people (or taken them prisoner). It's not that I look for a reenactment, but giving the true context of the situation would have actually increased the drama of the movie.

Why not?
    People took my all time favorite movie Apollo 13 apart for details like that. These are big budget productions with consultants on the side lines. They should get this kinda stuff right.

Not that I did any research, but to me the concrete bench on the beach (early in the movie) and the pan across the residential buildings in Dunkirk looked anachronistic. My feeling is that was built in the sixties or seventies; I could be wrong, but that's what it looked to me. A modern movie should be able to cover these things with CGI or at the very least matte paintings.

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I am not an artsy kind of guy... but in a weird way I almost wonder if that was the point.

Maybe the point was that those men/children could have been anyone. The struggle that was portrayed was the experience of 400k people on those beaches or of operation dynamo.

The characters were "characterless" to be everyone as opposed to one persons story.

The film depicts a forgotten moment in time and tries to share the experience with the audience.

I dunno... maybe Im wrong

I loved it. Id go back just to hear the Merlins at full crack

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Christopher Nolan avoids CGI as much as he can. They used real planes where they could and the ones they couldn't get (i.e. Junkers dive bombers and the He 111 bomber) they used large R/C planes. He probably felt the same about the homes around too and if it was close enough he'd let it go (like the Me109).

Apollo 13 to me was meant to be closer to a documentary from start to finish with actual character development whereas this movie was just a short portion of WW2 with random people and their experiences over 24 hours or so.

Anyway...as far as my most recent film I watched, I got around to the Godfather part 3 last night. Not nearly as good as the first two...glad they didn't make a 4th.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    +1!!!! That was the main reason I went...the previews of the Spitfires got me hooked. Love it!

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    finally saw it. unfortunately, while i enjoyed the visuals esp the dogfights, i didnt love it. dialogue was very hard to understand with their accents. the actors all looked alike too which made it difficult to know who was who at the beginning. while i found it exciting, i really didnt care who lived or died because there was no connection to the characters.

but on the other hand, it did motivate me to learn more about dunkirk and operation dynamo. i will be looking for some books on subject

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I highly recommend "How Hitler could have won the war". Despite the racy title it is a thorough analysis of both side and their tactical errors. Dunkirk is covered as well. Once you read the whole circumstances you realize how much Nolan dropped. Real shame.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Scarface...it was okay. I don't think it aged well. I didn't realize Michelle Pfeiffer was that attractive in her 20s...she did age well by comparson.

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    will definitely check it out.
    thanks

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Christopher Nolan's The Prestige was really entertaining. I never heard about this movie until a few days ago when my brother recommended it. Great casting with Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, David Bowie, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Caine, and Piper Perabo.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I really liked this Prestige movie. But it's like the Sixth Sense if you get my drift (without revealing spoilers).

Once you see it you don't need to see it again.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I definitely agree with that. I wish more movies were as well done as that one.

I watchced A Clockwork Orange last night. Absolutely terrible imo. I felt like it was trying too hard to be different and unique and none of it worked for me. Most of the dialogue was at full speaking volume like they were trying hard to set the tone, but overdid it. The overly graphic scenes added no value imo (again, like they were try-hards wanting to be a unique/artistic film) and the storyline was pretty mundane. I like Kubrick, but this was weak...its popularity is probably due to its cult following. I don't really read movie critic reviews, but I agree with what Ebert said of it back in the day.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Get Out

Very creative and well done movie. $5 million budget and grossed $250 million...wow.

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    So disappointed in get out. Reviews were through the roof. Genre breaking mash up. Smart social commentary. Hilarious like wayans brother. Etc

I thought it was nothing. Not funny. Not scarry. Not smart.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I can see why some may think that and I was surprised at how well it did in the box office and the reviews it received. I wouldn't give it that high of marks and I didn't think it would break $125 million.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 came out today on Amazon. I'm pretty tired of the Marvel movies in general, but this one I liked a lot. The "I'm Mary Poppins!" line had me dying...

20. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Agreed. We're talking REAL Spits here! Just saw it, and the aerial scenes were breathtaking.

Some video and notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J5v4B0o5Uo

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The more I think about Dunkirk the weaker I find the movie.

Not surprisingly its ratings are either great or average. Great for those who love artsy stuff and average for history buffs

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Goldfinger 1964,never tire of seeing that DB5.Pay attention Bond...

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Passengers

Simply brilliant

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    In other news, Daniel Craig is confirmed to play Bond again in the next film. I'm glad as he's one of my favorite to portray that character.

25. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    War Machine.

I don't know why it got so much hate - I laughed my ass off! Great movie.