Last movie you saw | Page 272 | FerrariChat

Last movie you saw

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PrettyBoy, Jun 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Ad Astra. Easily the worst movie I've seem in a decade. Written by a third grader and acted just as bad. Don't waste your time.

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    War of worlds 2005 w tom cruise. Spielberg movie. Saw it in theater when new and thought of it as typical summer action blockbuster. But on tv can see how it was much more. A total throw back to 50s film noir. Really interesting visuals along w sound and acting. Plus all the action of modern movie. Good one

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Gentlemen (2020) - What a let down. Great cast but the action is just so bland.

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    spike lee da blood. vietnam gold caper. not bad but way too long.
    good comparison movie for sandler uncut gems

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Watched Ford versus Ferrari this weekend really enjoyed it. Wondering how much of it is accurate.

greg328 likes this.
  6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Disneys up from 10 yrs ago. Supposedly super sad but not to me. Sad part happens 1st 10 minutes while no dialog so not connected to characters. And seemed gratuitous to have wife get sick when finally going on vacay. Then just to silly at end. Nice animation and birds were fun but not masterpiece I expected.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Coraline

Maybe it's because my internet connection sucks and I can't stream often in HD quality, but I honestly had no idea that thing was stop motion animation until after I watched it. I thought it was CGI animation like Pixar. Incredible amount of effort was put into making those miniature sets and characters...well done.

8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    on Netflix:
    Inside Man, directed by Spike Lee. Good cops and robbers flick. My GF saw the twist immediately but it's a well paced movie.
    Eurovision-Fire Saga, a Will Ferrell rom-com. I laughed. My GF cried. Fun entertainment.

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    will Farrell played it too straight. only funny character was Russian pop star but didn't have enough screen time. Farrell needed to get his funny on

10. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Crawl

Horrible movie and premise. Loved every second of it.

David_S likes this.
  11. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Gladiator with Russell Crowe, night before last. multiple Oscars.

greg328 and 95spiderman like this.
  12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    gladiator is one of all time greats. phenomenal in all aspects

greg328 likes this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I watched this silent movie on TCM called "The Crowd" about a guy who turns 21 with all the optimism in the world but his life's goals don't pan out.

He becomes a cog in the system and then fails at almost everything he tries, losing confidence in himself. But the story is really about his relationship with his wife through the good and the bad over the years. She does everything to try to keep the marriage together but even she gives up at times. Then they fall back to one another and try again. Its really a touching story where in the end, its the family that really matters. And you're left with the feeling that next time, this guy is going to finally make it.

I'm amazed at how the quality of silent movies and the subject matters they broached. This movie still works today even though it was set in the 1920's. Financial worries, job insecurity, jealously, the loss of a child, the pressure from in-laws, depression, "mid life crisis", anger, disappointment in failure, the loss of self confidence, self sacrifice for the ones you love -- all things we can relate to us today.

Modulo_B, Alcav5, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes! I was thinking this very same thing this morning while driving - the best movies transcend time & place.
    The Crowd is great. Pretty much everything Vidor made in that period was great.
    James Murray was pulled from obscurity to play the lead, and promptly returned to obscurity afterwards, ending up an alcoholic who died in his 30s...T

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Big Parade is a masterpiece. I've seen it several times and it still tugs at you. A war movie -- about love.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    One of my top 5. It's like 3 movies in one - the story of the change from Gilbert's indifference to his joining up, the love story with the gorgeous Renee Adoree in the middle, & the horrors of war toward the end. The last 10 mins of the film, from the the time he's sitting w/ his mother to the reunion with Melisande always makes me verklempt, and that's after about a dozen viewings...T

TheMayor likes this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Spring Fever
    Billie Haines & Joan Crawford

Spring Fever
    same duo

Goofy love stories. Young JC on the cusp of fame.

Billie Haines was quite the pioneer. Louis Mayer of MGM told him to enter into a lavender marriage. He told Louis Mayer to take a hike. Became a top interior decorator to the stars.

T

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Fun movie. Everything Michael Keaton touched in the 80s seemingly turned to gold. I thought Winona Ryder was great in that movie...T

19. luna213

luna213 Rookie

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    lina mendez
    yesterday i was drunk and i saw the hangover and i cried from laughing :D

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's hysterical, even sober!

Every time since we saw it, when we go to Vegas, and see some drunk or otherwise boisterous person, my wife and I will look at each other and say "Some people just can't handle Vegas!"

T

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Up

Yeah yeah took me forever to get around to watching it. I don't really watch Pixar movies. I was dying of laughter when I heard this infomercial audio (first 10 seconds of this clip only):

Does anyone here get the reference? It's a pretty famous infomercial where the guy messed up big...I doubt most that have seen Up picked up on it. Whoever dropped that in the movie has a great sense of humor. Look at that horse! My producer Tara Cates just told me this isn't a horse it's a butterfly. Actually, ha, it may in fact be a moth.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sadie Thompson, 1928, with Gloria Swanson.
    Based on the short story by Somerset Maugham.

The Grapes of Wrath, 1940

Love this scene.
    T

TheMayor likes this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    As to Sadie Thompson, its amazing some of the subjects were covered in the Silent Era. Today that subject matter would still apply and be as powerful.

A couple of weeks ago TMC had Chapin's "The Kid". It still makes people laugh and cry 100 years later. Another silent era masterpiece.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    "The Kid" is great. It may be my second favorite Chaplin movie after "City Lights." Chaplin is an absolute genius; his best films are timeless IMO. For my friends, who may not be into silents, I tell them to watch Chaplin. If you don't like Chaplin, then silent movies are likely not for you...T

TheMayor likes this.
  25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    A Dog's Life - 1918
    Charles Chaplin, Edna Purviance

It's Chaplin all day on TCM

T