Last Plexi Daytona | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Last Plexi Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Zarathustra, May 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #26 328dgtb, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys, thought you might be interested - I have just bought 14121 and it definately has pop-up lights! A couple of other interesting features are wooden wheel and no head-restraints.

A couple of posts state that it may be the first of the pop-up cars, does anyone have any more info on my car?

David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Lovely which shade of blue is that?

Early cars did feature a wooden wheel.

3. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Matthew,

According to the paperwork with the car the colour is Blue met Dino 106-A-72.

David

bighitter2 likes this.
  4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi David
    Looks like a great car,welcome to the club.
    I assume you bought it from Mike wheeler ? http://www.rardleymotors.com/docs/cars/show.php?id=153&p=30&page=1&srt=model_year%20ASC
    From what i can see in the pic's it looks very original and the sales description is very in depth, sorry i cannot add further to this.
    As i said in the previous post, i do believe this is the first pop up headlight car that came from the factory, from the records i have been able to obtain, but the waters may become muddy about this in the future. When i spoke to the head of restorations at Maranello [ he was with them for 30 years ] he told me they changed quite a few plexi cars to pop up lights as this was the new fashion and also fitted plexi lights into some cars that came with pop up lights as the customer preferred these, but usually when they where in for restoration!
    I am sure you will get alot of help on this site if you have any questions so just ask away.
    Great looking car.
    Grant

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Cool that was the original colour of mine, with blue seats as well, before being changed to Rosso Chiaro with black interior in the late seventies.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #31 Wheels1, Jul 11, 2011
    Matt.
    I think the wheel was personal choice as some early cars had Momo wheels as well. I have an early Daytona Momo wheel at the trimmers somewhere and its stamped:-
    MO
    MO
    on the back of a spoke, not on the front like my 73 car.
    Pic of Maranello's 71 demo car.

7. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin

Thanks Grant, yes the car came via Mike at Rardley, we drove it back to Scotland over the weekend without any hitches (apart from the wipers having a coming together!)

I'm now working my way through the mountain of paperwork that came with it to build a detailed picture of its history. It had a pretty comprehensive restoration/rebuild in around 1989 and it is still in great shape. It would be nice if I can track down any early pictures of the car to establish the headlight issue. Apparently it started life registered FPA 133J.

8. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    #33 bighitter2, Jul 11, 2011
    Steve i took these pics at concorso 2004, red 'short bumper' car is mine, yellow coupe( closest) shows 'extended' bumpers best looks to have a black square shaped bracket, yellow spyder was presented by 'Lucas'...and black spyder belonged to Bill Moyer the Tv anchor man..don't recall who owned the other red spyder with the top up,second pic shows a good shot of the 'extended bumper' on the yellow coupe.Chuck

9. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Yellow coupe is my car, thanks for the reminder of a fun day. It will be at the concours on the Avenue" this year, plus I will be using it for transportation over the week.
    350GT will be at the Quail, stop and say hello.
    Malcolm

10. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin

Hi Matt, I had a look behind the wooden wheel on 14121 and it too has the logo stamped behind the centre spoke with the 'Mo above Mo'.

Reads:
    MO
    MO

It also has the single metal strip underneath the (x4) dash switches under the heater sliders rather than three switches with individual labels. Are four switches/single label strip another early car feature?

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Andrew
    3 switch's is the standard spyder configuration as they did not have rear window demist, so four is correct. The plate is for the earlier cars and later euro cars just had the tabs on the bottom of the mouse ear switches as far as i know.
    Alot of cars had more than 4 as they where regularly used for extras like front fog lights, driving lights behind the grill etc.
    Grant

12. guiseppif1

guiseppif1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2010
    Orange Beach,AL
    Full Name:
    JOE Phillips
    #37 guiseppif1, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    I owned the last one. i bought the car in to the USA(1976) and had to convert it to pop-up's.I think my serial number was 13413.Joe

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Any idea what were the earliest number Daytona's on record, am doing some research into a car but dont want to post a chassis number lest the deal goes south, however does anyone know where 1291 would fall into the general production. I have tried searching the web a list of numbers is pretty difficult to find.

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    1st production car 12037, 12919 would be VERY approximatly 92nd made.

15. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Does anyone have a front picture of 14123 or 14125?

Cheers

David

16. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #41 328dgtb, Jul 13, 2011
    Thats interesting, as mine has 2 x extra toggle switches of the same type below/right of the bank of four but with no wires connected to the them. I assume they were installed for additional lights or other kit that are no longer there.

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    love the blue interior, got more pix of car?
    ed

18. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #43 328dgtb, Jul 14, 2011
  19. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #44 328dgtb, Jul 14, 2011
  20. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Concerning the changeover period from 'Plexi' to 'retractable' light Daytona's:

Was it only the USA cars that initially had the square edge retractable light openings (and silver nose strip) before moving on to the later radius opening?

Did Euro cars of the same period receive the same square edge lights or did they start with the radius type from the start of the retractables?

David

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Yes, euro/UK cars had square edge lights. The radius type started in '72.

22. Tabletcounter

Tabletcounter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    John
    #47 Tabletcounter, Jul 20, 2011
    I have 14119 which is a plexi model. I though it was the last RHD plexi but maybe its the last ever plexi model.

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Congrats on the Blue Daytona! I especially like the wood wheel without the two holes in each spoke of the steering wheel. The solid spoke wheel is less common not to mention the unique blue interior as well.
    What serial number is your Daytona; it looks like a 1973 model?
    CH

24. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #49 328dgtb, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    Thanks, the s/n is 14121 picked up from the factory 8th March 1971.

Some here think it's the first pop-up/retractable light car built but that's yet to be confirmed. It is unusual in that it has the retractable lights of the later cars but also some of the earlier Plexi-car features such as the wooden wheel, no head restraints, single (long) switch id plate under the mouse-ear dash switches rather than individual tabs and a 3 x screw air-filter top rather than the later 6 x screw version.

The car was extensively restored in 1988-1990 and was finished in the original exterior and interior colours.

25. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    That's very interesting John, your car must have gone down the line right in front of mine! (14121).

David