Last Ride of the Season? | FerrariChat

Last Ride of the Season?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Anthony James, Dec 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Winter is quickly approaching us here in New England as the first snow fall in the greater Boston area is here. Yesterday may have been the last ride until spring, but who knows for sure. After all it’s New England.

I had to attend a meeting in Connecticut, about a 3 hour ride from Cape Ann without traffic. I could have taken a company car … or take my car with the company credit card. So I decided to take the 612 for possibly the last ride of the season, just me and the car. No one to say stop here I got to pee or slow down or anything, just 6 hours of getting to know the car better.

I departed at 4:15 am and it was 38 deg so I tooled along and short shifted until I got fuel. $70 later I was on my way and the interior is nice and toasty but the engine water and oil temp gauges are only at ¼ the way up the scale and stayed that way until I got into stop and go traffic. Even then it wouldn’t quite get to ½ way and the fan(s) would come on and down it would go to about 1/3 the scale. I’d like to know if other owners see similar readings with their cars in colder weather. Ran into some serious stop and go commuter traffic on the way home, buy anticipating my stops and cheating (using just enough brake to turn the brake lights on without stopping) the tranny it was no different then any other car. I really enjoyed the drive.

A couple of cons:

I wish my ride had cruse control. Is that an option for an early 612? I found cruising at 70 in 6th gear turns around 2400 rpm or 3300 in 5th So it is easy to creep up to 80 if not consciously paying attention. No drink holder is another big deal to me so I plan on using the ash tray location to fab a simple phone/usb/drink holder that can be easily removed. For this ride I put a beach towel on the passenger’s seat and belted in a small soft cooler with a drink holder attached facing the driver. It’s also easy to miss a vehicle hanging off the passengers’ rear pillar location. So I had to move the mirror out a lot more to catch a glimpse of someone in that area. You have to remember to turn in your mirrors before turning off the key. The center console holds…well nothing, ok a package of M&M’s. The sun visor could be a couple of inches wider. Windows don’t go all the way down. Eats everything. Fuel like I have a leak, brakes, and tires if I remain in a spirited mood.

The pros:

Can transport 4 adult humans. Impressive room in the trunk. Comfortable seats and ride. I could have easily done 5 hours no problem. The sound of the engine, it’s so intoxicating and why I cant help myself to blasts well into triple digits in seconds, and the resulting poor fuel mileage. Awesome acceleration and brakes. The precision of the steering. Quiet interior. Great sound system. The smell of leather never gets old. Excellent heat and A/C. Huge glove box. And the car is elegant, always getting thumbs up or photos taken and I always offer to share. I have to show restraint not to take it out all the time.

Dam I wish it was spring already!

tomc likes this.
  2. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Right thing to do, those cars are enjoyed when driven long distance
    Cruise control was not an option ont he early 612, I was thinking my self of retro fitting but that's not a plug and play thing

Anthony James likes this.
  3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have the same cup holder issue in my 355. Found a $7 double holder that fit between the center console and the right seat. Pops in and out when I need it. I need to check to see if it works as well in my 612. If not, I'm sure that there is something similar out there. Not the most elegant but it functions without any modifications to the car.

Anthony James and Makuono like this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Atta boy Anthony, drive it!

As far as the cons, I have cruise control and rarely use it. My DD has radar CC, and once you have that, regular CC is useless, particularly in the crowded northeast roads. I don't care about no drink holder. I never noticed any visibility problem on the passenger side, but then anything behind me is not my concern :D. What do you mean "The center console holds…well nothing....."? I can fit my Amex card in there! Yea, the window doesn't go all the way down, but I don't hang my arm out the window anyway. Actually I'm amazed how good my gas mileage is. On strictly highway driving I get 17+ mpg.

As for the pros, two thumbs way up! I've done about 14 hours straight and could not have been more comfortable.

BTW, we'll have to meet at a C&C sometime next year.

Makuono and Anthony James like this.
  5. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Sure thing Paul. Maybe its my right foot that likes the loud peddle that gives me poor fuel mileage.:rolleyes: The CC I guess is like a chick who keeps asking "does this make me look fat?" The car wants your attention.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's what these cars are made to do!

Does your car not have the small cup holder on the console? I mean, sure, it's not big gulp size, but I believe it will hold a tall starbucks cup, as long as you don't corner too aggressively.

7. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    No holder for a cup, but maybe for a flip phone from the 80's.

8. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The only issue I have is that for me, the front left windshield pillar is smack in my field of view when on the windy canyon roads. I know that this really isn't designed for that type of driving but sometimes you just end up there. She holds her own better than can be expected for a big car but on the corners I can't keep up with the 458's, 430's or even my 355 and that pillar is always in the way.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you can't keep up with a 355 (or even a 430), then the problem is that the 355 has a better driver than you, not that the 612 isn't capable. Just being honest...

10. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Could be, not saying I'm the best, but I have both a 355 and a 612 and I've driven the same roads with both. Its not about keeping up with them on the overall drive. As soon as the road straightens a bit I'm with them all the way. For the real sharp corners on winding canyon roads the 355 is much better on the turns. Its just a more nimble car.