Latest Experience with Leatherique as a company? | FerrariChat

Latest Experience with Leatherique as a company?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have done the Leatherique thing many times. The ordering experience with them was quite nice and easy. This time around, it seems very difficult.

1. The website is very antiquated. Full of spelling errors. Poorly design and hard to navigate. The note says it has not been modified since 2009!
    2. Tried to call someone and was not able to reach anyone. Left messages with no returned calls.
    3. Trying email now but let's see.
    4. There is a note on the site that they are moving to a new address. Old address is still referenced on there too. The google map street view shows both addresses to be residential. It seems this is a very mom and pop shop.

A little disappointing really. What is your latest experience?

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I use Amazon.

It may be that so many people order through other channels that their company site has atrophied to irrelevance. I've seen this happen to many companies. Why spend literally tens of thousands on a new ecommerce site when Amazon is doing it all?

3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1

Never a problem.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    not when you need a custom color...

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Full explanation:

I sent in a small part of a seat for color matching the dye. I used US Postal Service Priority Mail with signature required for delivery.

The destination mail person tried delivery, no one was home so the package went back to the post office never to be re-delivered again. I cannot get the package back unless I call the destination Post Office and nobody at my Post Office can give me a phone number to call (You can google it is what they said, very helpful).

Meanwhile, at the destination, the Leatherique people are in the middle of a move, adding a second phone line which did not work, and never got any phone calls or did they receive the Post Office sticker left in place of the package delivery.

The bottom line is they package sent Priority mail has been "Out for Delivery" since Friday with no end in site.

We now have the full explanation for why the US Postal Service will never be profitable as a independent company.

thorn likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Sound more like a problem with Leatherique not having anyone available to sigh for the package. My experience with such cases (I've shipped all over the world using USPS) if the package isn't picked up after usually 3 days it is returned to sender.

If you have the tracking number you should be able to enquire about the package on the USPS web site. (I don't mean tracking.) https://faq.usps.com/s/

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    So Leatherique is still a viable company?

9. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    Having used Leatherique's products in the past, and plan to order again this year, I emailed the contact given on their web page (1/15/2020). Here is their response I received within 24 hours:

"It is on our website that we closed only color match over the holidays to upgrade equipment, test new pigments, get new bases and upgrade computers to serve folks better. The newer pigments have made it very difficult to achieve some of the older hide colors as red pigment has been altered dramatically over the last few years by the EPA and that is a main ingredient for the signature Ferrari Saddle shades.

Due to freezing temperatures in some of the country, some of our raw materials were delayed in shipping and we have finally received them and are now getting back up and running with custom colors.

All our other orders that did not contain custom dyes shipped quickly, same as always.

Gossip online is a terrible thing when people don't even read the notices on our website. I don't know how else to communicate we were upgrading and we appreciate your contacting us to help correct any issues.

We will be happy to assist you with your new vehicle. Let us know the make, model, year and how the condition is.

Kind regards and Happy New Year to all,
    George
    www.Leatherique.com

I would suggest contacting George when ordering to clear up some of the misinformation in this thread.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes. Leatherique is still a viable company. The series of events of moving to a new location, ordering a phone line that did not work did make their 0peration seem a bit out of touch. But my order is in the mail back to me now so that is good, thanks to Kristy.

Their website still needs an overhaul and I am never going to use US Postal Service for anything important again, ever.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

LOL. Go for it Mitch. I just sent IRS a $16k exstimated tax payment to them 1st class mail. No problem. :)

tonyswfla likes this.
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Final update.

The ordered dye came quickly to fit my needs. The color match was perfect. All is well.