Latest on Ferrari | FerrariChat

Latest on Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by michael bayer, May 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    By Sara Gay Forden and Tommaso Ebhardt
    May 11 (Bloomberg) -- Ferrari SpA, the maker of $228,000
    California supercars, is seeking to idle production and
    eliminate 9 percent of its workforce after sister brand Maserati
    reduced orders for engines.
    Workers walked out for four hours today because Ferrari
    wants to cut 120 office positions and 150 factory jobs in
    exchange for the last payment of a 2009 bonus due last month,
    CGIL union official Giordano Fiorani said today in a telephone
    interview. The sports-car maker employs about 3,000 people.
    Ferrari, Fiat SpA’s most profitable brand, plans to idle a
    factory in Maranello, Italy, by laying off about 600 workers for
    a week starting May 17, Fiorani said. Ferrari is scaling back
    because of fewer orders from Fiat’s Maserati brand, for which
    Ferrari makes engines, said Ferrari spokesman Stefano Lai, who
    confirmed the plans to lower headcount and idle production.
    “Even though Ferrari’s margins are very high, they wanted
    to do better,” said Massimo Vecchio, an automotive analyst at
    Mediobanca SpA in Milan. “The recovery is moving very slowly.”
    Ferrari is slashing 2010 production targets to 11,000
    vehicles from 20,000, CGIL union’s Fiorani said. Ferrari never
    planned to make 20,000 cars this year and will maintain
    production at about 6,000 vehicles, similar to last year’s
    output, Lai said.
    The company intends to outsource some jobs to local
    companies and offer some employees early retirement, Lai said.

‘Non Core’ Operations

Ferrari made engines for about 4,500 Maseratis last year,
    down from almost 9,000 in 2008. Lai declined to say how many
    Maserati engines will be made this year.
    In an e-mailed statement, Ferrari said that the company is
    focusing its resources on activities such as product
    development, technological innovation and reaching new customers
    and has decided to outsource “non-core” operations. This will
    allow the carmaker to maintain about 100 contract workers,
    Ferrari said.
    “Ferrari has to respond to market demands that rise and
    fall in an ever less-predictable fashion,” it said.
    Fiat Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne unveiled a
    new five-year plan for Ferrari and Maserati April 21, along with
    new targets for all the group brands, calling for the two luxury
    carmakers to almost double revenue to about 4 billion euros by
    2014 by adding products and widening model ranges.

Trading Profit

Ferrari’s first-quarter trading profit declined 28 percent
    to 39 million euros ($50 million), the company said April 21.
    Sales of the new F458 model, which is priced at 197,000 euros,
    provided a limited contribution in the period, the company said.
    Trading profit for 2009 fell 30 percent to 238 million euros as
    sales dropped 7.4 percent to 1.8 billion euros. Ferrari sold
    6,294 cars last year.
    “Ferrari has proposed to pay the bonuses if we accept the
    job cuts,” Fiorani said. “We are ready to discuss layoffs and
    reorganization, as there is a real cut in production, but we
    don’t understand their rigidity.”
    Turin, Italy-based Fiat rose 21 cents, or 2.3 percent, to
    9.53 euros at the close of trading in Milan. The stock is down 7
    percent this year, valuing the carmaker at 11.2 billion euros.

For Related News and Information:
    Fiat shares versus indexes: F IM <Equity> COMP D <GO>
    Ferrari company news: FERI IM <Equity> CN <GO>
    Top transport stories: TRNT <GO>

--Editors: David Risser, Kenneth Wong

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not good news but not unexpected either.

3. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    The trotting, not prancing, horse.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I'm unclear : what has this repost to do with 'Vintage' ?

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    250 GTO
    350 Can AM
    250 TDF
    330 P
    365 P 2/3
    250 LM
    365 GBT Comp
    512BBLM
    312 T3
    Dino Tasman
    275 GTB
    195S
    250 MM
    250 GT Interim
    250 SWB
    250 PF Spyder
    250 SA 250 GTL
    are a few of the cars I've been offered this month.

There are a LOT more I've been offered but for privacy reason's I'm leaving them off of this list.

For the right price I'm sure these cars can find buyers but I do feel there are a LOT of Vintage cars for sale at this time.

Is the Vintage Market totally unrelated to the article Michael posted?

I'm not so sure. Ferrari went from a Company that sold 3K cars a year and raced Sports Cars to a Company with excess capacity that makes a great deal of it's "Operating Profit" from Licensing it's Logo. IMHO this change will effect the Perception of Ferrari and even it's Vintage Cars. Art is Art but when Art becomes commerce things change.

6. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jim,
    I agree, completely, and will say, again, that I think that they are doing great harm to themselves by "cheapening" the brand with the licensing they are doing. In my opinion, they are trading their mystique for the profits of this year.

George

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jim,

Very nicely put!

Cheers,

Sam

8. cdu

cdu Karting

May 30, 2007

When I think about Bentley, I don't think of those audis they sell now, I think of the car Mr Bond drove. When I see a new Bentley, I wonder if the owner is a professional athlete and has lots of classy tattoos, and when I see an old Bentley, I wonder if the owner smokes a pipe.

The market for old Ferraris is driven by their limited numbers, their beauty, their history, and the fact that they're documented and there are experts to tell you what's what (see M Massini and T Shaughnessy). If I had the coin to spend, I could do some research and be somewhat confident that what I'm buying is what I think I'm buying, and that adds tremendous value to the market. I'd also be more confident in buying an old Ferrari that I'd be able to find experts in making it work properly, and find spares, and such, so that I could actually enjoy it. This is as opposed to if I wanted to find support for my ASA or my Lancia.

Now, the market for old ferraris is in the same world as the one that's wondering about sovereign debt, peak oil, inflation, deflation, and space herpies, so it shouldn't be any wonder that prices are down and inventory is up, but in the long term, I don't think it would matter much even if Ferrari SPA vanished tomorrow, except that maybe in their liquidation someone might buy up the old records and make them easier to get a hold of. (Of course, it's more likely the old records would just "vanish" and you'd have to know someone who knows someone to get a peek...)

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Heh, when I see a new Ferrari, I think of Supergoofy as that's what most drivers dress like... Best wishes, Kare

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #10 Bryanp, May 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree wholeheartedly re: the cheapening of the marque that Barbie and her lot have caused. When I look at the pictures in the Mille Miglia thread, I have hope that there is still a sizable group of people of means who "get it" when it comes to the old cars that created Ferrari's glory and made all the retail nonsense possible in the first place.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    The new cars and the new owners are a bigger problem than the admitedly very excessive merchandising.

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #12 wbaeumer, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    Jim,
    can`t agree more!

When I got interested in those cars, in the early 70ies, a Ferrari was something VERY special and here in Germany you could hardly see more than one or two per year! And I am pretty sure that car-guys of this "early" period in the US like Ed Niles will agree on this.

Today I see five (!) modern Ferraris -all in red!- in the street where I live!
    Ferrari-Germany contacted some time ago the German traffic-authorities, requesting infos of how many Ferraris are within a circle of 80 miles around my city. The answer was ....2,000!

Ciao!
    Walter

13. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I would say the bigger problem here is for Maserati - Ferrari is dropping production on engines supplied to Maserati not on new Ferrari cars being produced.
    There is still a waiting list for the new F458 in the UK of over 2 years - several new cars i am aware of have traded at premiums up to 40k euros over list price - so demand is there, supply is not.
    If there is a core problem Ferrari would increase production of the model in demand, satisfy the waiting list and drive the flippers out of the market - good for all end users.

Or the dream - employ the 150 Ferrari workers in the reproduction of part for our Vintage Ferraris, could you imagine!!!!!!!!

14. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow - an Ice Pirates reference!

15. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    And I believe they are changing in ways we haven't seen before leading me to wonder where things are headed. I expect a whole new set of definitions to some old terms.

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    julio,
    as a young'n in school you must have had an intense desire to be a hall monitor.
    ed

17. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    And now that I am old, I have an intense desire to enjoy one of the few sections on Fchat as yet uncontaminated by insular and repetitious US-centered political ranting.

18. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    #18 275gtb6c, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    So true!
    As I hear everyday complaints, problems, goaststories, wise advises of customers and clients I like the vintage part of F-chat as a technical and enjoyable part of this site. If I want to read about economy, Greece and future invests I have many other very boring sources.....

Julio, I couldnt have formulated it any better..

Ciao
    Oscar

ps being old is a state of mind.

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    julio,
    you're missing the point. we are being told there is a great recovery occurring, yet this article demonstrates that industries are cutting back. is the article a figment of somenes imagination? is the rioting in greece someones imagination? THINGS ARE A CHANGING.
    now who's living in an insular world?
    ed

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you Oscar. I have advised moderators, but with very little hope...

21. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    OK boys, we're suppose to be talking about how 'events' will affect the vintage Ferrari market here...that's all. SO, since I've seen alot of cars parked on the market for great lengths of time, either people will continue to sit on them or prices will drop to get them moving, I'd say.

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Edward - please refrain from commenting on political aspects of the discussion. It is not that they're not relevant, but they lead to unresolvable disputes. There is a place for this in P&R, not here.

23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    With a few exceptions (some of whom are members here and have a pleasing blend of new and vintage Ferraris in their garages) owners of the newer cars don't seem to have any interest in or appreciation for the history or heritage of Ferrari. I frankly can't fault Ferrari for this. The factory seems to have an interest (if somewhat belated) in preserving and even celebrating its heritage. Or, a cynic might say it's only because they've figured out how to make money from it. The recent display of a fake 250 California at the Galleria would seem to confirm that notion.

As far as the merchandising is concerned, I find 99% of it to be repulsive and crass.

Jack.

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When the Greg Garrison Series II 410 Superamerica, # 0671 SA was re-created some retired workers came back to help again with this special Ferrari. It is too bad that older workers with years of experience are cast aside to save a few euros at the bottom line...
    CH

25. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    This is a concept I have spent a lot of time thinking about, and my emotions seem to vary. Sometimes dramatically.

Ferrari of today is definitely different that Ferrari of the past. Both in leadership, and in the world in which it exists. Part of me gets angry when I see all of the Ferrari branding. At other times I accept it.

Ferrari was always first and foremost about racing. But racing as Ferrari does it now is nothing like it was in the 60s. So I ask myself the question: what would EF do? He'd probably do the same thing he did then: he'd hire other people to build stuff to sell to people he didn't care anything about, and then use the money to race and win at any cost. Which is to say the company is following the plan quite well. I don't think Enzo would care that his logo was on cologne. I also don't think he would care too much about the people who might buy it.

In the long run, I think the changes will shore up the value of the vintage market. Because they don't make 'em like they used to today, and they sure as hell aren't going to make 'em like that in the future. You will never be able to buy a modern car that raced in an endurance race and drive it on the road (unless it is from 24 hours of Lemons). And the true Ferrari race cars of today have limited use on the track (anyone here capable of driving a modern F1 car?). The allure for many will increase even more, even as Ferrari finds its place in the fast and furious new world.

Wait until "Go Like Hell" hits theaters. That will be interesting.