Lathe restoration | FerrariChat

Lathe restoration

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Dec 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For a long time, I thought that it would be great to have a lathe, although I never actively pursued getting one. About a year ago, one was dropped at my doorstep by a friend that was leaving the island. It was just what I had in mind. It was a vintage South Bend that likely came out of surplus from Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard. The perfect size: big enough to be useful and small enough that I could make space for it.

It took a while to clean it, replace bushings,bearings, and oil control felts, and locate some missing parts and tooling, but it is finally up and running. It has already proven to be a handy and time saving addition.

The first step was to clean up and refurbish a bench to place it on.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #2 sowest, Dec 31, 2012
  3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #3 sowest, Dec 31, 2012
  4. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #4 sowest, Dec 31, 2012
  5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #5 sowest, Dec 31, 2012
  6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's wonderful!

--Matt

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is so beautiful Larry. Great job! Is that a 308 timing belt that you used there? :)

8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Matt and Kevin

Thank you both very much for your kind comments! No, I did not use a 308 timing belt. I didn't want to start a rash of threads about when it needed to be changed...;>)

Aloha
    Larry

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I always enjoy your threads - even the ones with 0 responses.

10. Falta125

Falta125 Karting

Mar 11, 2012
    Nice job on your South Bend, i purchased a similar SB in Lethbridge Canada about 5 years ago for $350.00, It belonged to an elderly gentleman that had suffered a stroke so his wife was selling off all his tools, along with the Lathe came years of hardware that he had stashed away, small boxes of brass and copper rivets, all kinds of unusual hardware that is impossible to find. I use the lathe almost every day and don't know how i got along with out one for all these years, i never did check back with the women to see if her husband made it home but i'm sure if he did she was probably the next person to pay a visit to the hospital!.( i'd have killed her) anyway' it went to a good home and the first chance i get i'm going to tear it down and give it a total restoration. Made in the good old USA!

11. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Awesome resto!

12. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    WAX and WPOZZ:

Thank you very much for your comments. I do appreciate the positive vibes!!

Falta125:

Like you, I appreciate the utility and elegance of the design. It is a great example of the quality and durability of American industrial products of the era. I think that you will enjoy the process of restoration on your lathe when the time comes. I really enjoyed doing mine.

Not to make light of the previous owner's misfortune, but I had to smile at the thought of him recovering and coming home to find that the wife had sold off all his stuff....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Your resto looks like something we'd see on American Resto where they charge the customer $3k to do the work. I like the battleship grey finish and the cleaned up and polished gears.

Have a Happy New Year and hope you get lots of use out of that lathe!