Le Mans 2018 | FerrariChat

Le Mans 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by maulaf, Jun 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    mcimino, Finlander and crinoid like this.
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Without Porsche and Audi it was his to loose.

Lotaz, NEP and classic308 like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Congrats to Toyota Gazoo Racing, Porsche Factory, Patrick Dempsey

375+ likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Even Stroll could have won that race in the Toyota. :)

stavura, crinoid and classic308 like this.
  5. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Not sure about that. To finish first, first you must finish...Stroll really likes walls and other cars too much

6. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Toyota could've picked a lot of people but chose Alonso. Alonso put in a hell of a drive at night to pull back time on the #7.

It was Toyota's race to lose but the #8 was on the back foot for a lot of the race. Against 1 car or 10, they still earned that victory.

Good on him. Hope to see him try again at Indy.

Nuvolari, DF1, Bas and 3 others like this.
  7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Porsche, Audi and Mercedes have all dropped Le Mans in favor of going E-car racing. The battles between Porsche and Ford was the most fun to watch. Good for Velocity for giving the air time to cover the whole race.

DF1 and 375+ like this.
  8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    No surprise in the 2018 LM GTE Pro & Am results.

BoP weights handicapped the Ferraris.

LMGTE PRO

Ferrari - 1291 Kg
    BMW - 1281 Kg
    Aston Martin - 1268 Kg
    Ford - 1267 Kg
    Porsche - 1259 Kg
    Corvette - 1254 Kg

LMGTE AM

Ferrari - 1291 Kg
    Porsche - 1269 Kg
    Aston Martin - 1263 Kg

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Whilst I agree that the race does have an asterisk, it's important to note that neither contender suffered any mechanical issues. Thankfully. Thus the race was won on speed and not luck.

I hope next year there'll be more LMP1 competitors challenging for the win. Hopefully Montoya, Button et all will be part of it again. I want to see more guys trying for the triple crown.

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    What a lame race, worst le mans i ever saw!! Alonso managed to win a 2 race car (wich is more than elton did in 2016), good to him. I was happy for Nakagima, he deserved it, as for Toyota, they finaly did it, but it's not the same as if Porcshe was still racing! But of course, that's not their fault, they were flawless. In Gt, teh real race for me it was a travesti, i don't know what the Aco as got agains Ferrari because ever since 1965 they try to screw us....that BOP thing is absolutly ridiculous, the 488 is competitive ebough to win the championship, but in LM looks like a backmarker...simply ridiculous.

NürScud, SimCity3 and Igor Ound like this.
  11. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    And the RSR is a purpose built racing car - where is the road car mid engine 911? Same with the Ford raced a year too early again no road cars in sight!

Igor Ound likes this.
  12. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    So much for homologation...

13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Binning the LMP1 cars is a good thing. Everything will be based on a street car - the very essence of a GT.

14. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Gotta hand it to the ACO, the managed to make this year's LeMans race even more boring than F1, that takes some doing .

furoni likes this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Heheh, and guess what, Again we had Alonso's finger on it!

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

I thought the racing between Ford and Porsche was great! Even my Grandkids were getting into it. Of course since I have owned several Porsches that's who they were rooting for.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ...it was no doubt the highlight of the race...but without a ferrari in the mix, i just don't like it! :)

stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Keep being a hater!

Alonso won that race for them with his epic triple stint overnight during which he made up a minute and a half on the #7 car after the #8s penalty. A minute and a half...at night...in a car he has limited time in...on a track he has never driven before.

An absolutely incredible driver. A true great of all time.

RWatters likes this.
  19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well....

Alonso did drive very well at night. I said that actually DURING the race so why am I a hater?

The Toyota team pulled out a 10 lap lead and then sat on it. The lead car was not pushing because Toyota wanted at least one car to finish. You can't blame them for that. On the other hand, if your teammate is not really trying, can you really claim credit for how well you did to catch them?

I don't think so. And, don't tell me Toyota "pushed" the entire 24 hours because its very clear from the lap times they didn't.

Was Alonso the best driver of the 6 in the Toyotas? Maybe. But his talents were not needed to win that race with that car on that day.

william likes this.
  20. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    The same might apply for the F1 champions in the last 10-20 years so I do not see your point...Alonso won and this is what he wanted, in ten years nobody will ask how. There have always been times when cars at Le Mans were without competition, the 962 was without competition most of his career as well.Or the Peugeot 905 Evo. Toyota worked long for this and it is unfair to take something away from them because the others left. It is not like Toyota was slow in the past but only won because Porsche and Audi are history, they have actually beaten them already in 2016 so they had a fast car. as being proven.
    Fact is: Alonso did well in Indy at his first appearance, he did well in the first WEC race and he did well in the first Le Mans driving at night -> he most be good, especially a good allrounder

Bas likes this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    DUH!!!! I guess you have not been watching too many of my F1 posts!

Actually I refer this race to the Indy F1 race were Ferrari cruised around for 90 minutes giving Schumacher a win because Michelin pulled out of the event leaving 6 cars -- of which only Ferrari was competitive.

Did we give Ferrari a lot of credit for winning that race? NO!

22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Maybe, but they were available to any team that could afford them.

Also, up to 12 Porsche 962 were entered at Le Mans, so there was intense rivalry between teams. (Kremer, Lloyds, Joest, Brun, Goodrich, etc...)

Also, more than once a private entered 962 did better than the factory team.

I have never seen that repeated since.

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is a big difference in a team winning by a large margin when others attempt and drop out and NO ONE ELSE bothers to compete because there's no point to competing. That describes this year's Le Mans.

william likes this.
  24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

To be honest, the ACO should have cancelled the LMP1 hybrid category as soon as Porsche announced its withdrawal, on the ground of "not enough participants left to call it a competition". It's a case of "force majeure" invoked when not enough entries turn up in a class or a category.
    I think letting Toyota run alone was an absolute joke.
    I bet their marketing department will think twice before exploiting that win for advertising.

Bas likes this.
  25. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I did see you posts so I know where you are coming from...but we can not take away the WDC or Le Mans victories from all of them because we think everything was better in the past ;)
    Indy was a complete different story...nothing forced Peugeot, Audi and Porsche to leave the WEC, it was all their own decision. And it is not true that they left because they did not like the regulations, they left because they achieved what they wanted and that´s it. Does really anybody expect Toyota to do the same after all the money and labour they invested just because they lost their competition?
    Or to say: if Mercedes decides to leave F1 to concentrate purely on Formula E (like they did in the DTM) and RB because they loose interest...would anybody expect Ferrari to leave as well because they think there is no competition and therefore no achievement when winning? I doubt....