Lead for, 456 550 575 Coolant Caps, overflow tank | FerrariChat

Lead for, 456 550 575 Coolant Caps, overflow tank

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Konadog06, Oct 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #1 Konadog06, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Should you do a search of the archives there are a number of threads about this subject. Many of the experts on here have changed the necks on their coolant tanks to adapt to normal radiator caps. Some for convenience of easy affordable replacement, some to have more flexibility as to cap pressures. Common knowledge is that the OE piece, a 1 bar unit, is marginal at best. And the recommendation is to have it checked and or replaced more often than you would think. Reason being maintaining proper pressure in the system is instrumental in proper cooling.
    There is a member in the Fchat parts for sale classifieds selling exact OE new 1.0 bar caps for an affordable price relative to dealer prices. Not affiliated with this member but purchased a couple caps. They are exact and as described. Just a FYI for those that might be interested but do not peruse the classifieds on a regular basis.

Link,

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/coolant-caps-mta-rated-1-0.556226/

Bill
    FL

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Bill thanks for the helpful post/link. I remember Brian Crall posting that he would buy these caps by the bagful because they were so unreliable/defective, even from new.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Had my eye on these for a while and finally ordered two. Hopefully that means I will never need them.

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

That's always the way it works isn't it Taz? The spares that you buy, you never use :)

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Affirmative, or at least we can hope.

6. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    John thanks for your comments. And Brian's quoted comments are exactly what I remembered and the reason I replaced my cap about a year ago.
    Like Taz I ordered couple spares for some day.
    Had the ocassion this past weekend to use one of my spares and it felt good. A like new flexible brake line on my hardly driven Olds 442 had collapsed during a fluid flush. New discontinued spare had been saved for years. Just went back in the house, found it, fixed it and moved on. No delay or trip to the parts store needed. A small pleasure for a gearnut.
    Unfortunately Ferrari spares are usually too expensive to keep.
    Bill
    FL

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I had the opportunity to drive a small Iveco truck the other day. It had a identical looking cap. Cost probably 5 dollar at an Iveco dealer...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Got my two in the mail today. No problems and they were well packed and included the funky little hose clamp.