Lead on a 488 GTB allocation, review my potential spec? | FerrariChat

Lead on a 488 GTB allocation, review my potential spec?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Feb 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Hey guys

Looking for advice/input (yet again)

Will update my old thread in a bit regarding going from a GT3 to a 458, but now have a lead on a 488 GTB allocation available from an out of state dealer. My local dealer seemingly can't get an answer from FNA on whether or not they can get a 488 GTB allocation (my local dealer in Hawaii is very small). Not here to get into merits of 488 vs 458 as I've done as much research as I can and for a sense of occasion at low speeds, and to get a mid engined V8 Ferrari new/to my spec is something on my radar as much as the 9k 4.5L V8 screamer would be nice.

The out of state dealer with the 488 allocation is saying it has to be changed soon (still changeable) as the build was already submitted, and that it might be another year before a 488 GTB order can be placed? So I am getting a bit of a sense of urgency from the GM and he is saying delivery around July which would work well for me, but this definitely is not something I want to rush into as well. I even would prefer to come into the store to spec it in person with my old man for a cherished memory but not looking like I even have time to do that.

Going for a clean "simple" spec to my tastes as the car should get driven (6000+ miles on my 6 mo old GT3, but that was in CA) & this would be my first Ferrari potentially and don't want to make a critical mistake. I have heard concerns about a full cuoio interior with bad reflections of the dash into the windshield...

Grigio Titanio
    Cuoio (including upper dash, headliner, carpets, trying to get interior to be all cuoio color)

CF wheel with leather in Cuoio
    Shields
    Standard silver wheel (love these)
    Aluminum caliper
    HiFi sound (listen to music a lot while driving)
    Apple CarPlay
    Goldrake Racing Seats
    Titanium exhaust
    Rear camera
    Parking sensor delete (if possible)
    Dedication plate
    Aluminum tach

On the fence about the carbon bridge to go with the CF wheel. Told the GM no special stitching as I'm not one to care much for that, but notice a lot of people opt for that along with horse stitched in headrest. GM also suggested homelink but I never used that in my Porsches or other cars and just keep the opener in the car.

Am I missing any critical elements? Thought about heat insulated windshield for Hawaii weather as well...

There is a small part of me that is thinking to switch the interior to Nero to try and mitigate the reflection issues in the dash but the Titanio on Cuoio look just really tugs at the heartstrings and for ~300k it has to do that!!! Love that classic "silver on tan" look and really like Titanio and Cuoio in those categories.

Nothing is a done deal or set in stone yet by any means as well but exploring this option and was told this this morning.

Thanks, appreciate it

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Home link and lift for next buyer. My first ferrari ferrari didnt have stitched horse on the head rest either.

Have you checked the size of the seat?

3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’ve never used the lift in my car but. You will get differing opinions on this.

You have Goldrake seats and CF steering wheel which are the most critical.

I personally would get the horse and contrast stitching.

Congrats on the spec.

5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks for the input so far

Wow didn't realize home link would be a must have. Lift is scaring me because I intend to keep the car for awhile (don't we all) and the added complexity/risk of failure + higher ride height is tempting me to skip it. On my GT3 it's a must, as that car just sits so low to the ground.

For the stitching IMO looking at pictures it seems like the stitching contrast is just too much for me and prefer the subtlety of same color stitch but looks like I am in the minority on that

Good call on the seat size. My assumption (which I will verify) is large which fit me perfectly at 6 feet 175 lbs

Either way will consider both again, thanks

Thinking on this, but still not sold. Have you used the lift often on the 488? Seems like the height is actually quite accommodating

Cheers, thanks - I think you are on RL quite a bit as well if I remember correctly? Nothing done yet but if I'm ready to step up to the plate financially I think it's going to be a great move. Looking for more of an exotic feel and sense of occasion, don't mind the turbos, and to get it in my spec would be a dream come true.

6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Get lift.

Get HomeLink.

Unless you are OK with a harsh glare, ditch the cuoio upper dash (or full interior) for black.

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If resale is a concern, get the lift, homelink, and horse stitched in headrest.

You are right that Ferrari cars ride much higher. However, you never know when you will come across that one ridiculous driveway with a huge incline. Also, I think Ferrari V8 cars look especially improved when you lower them on Novitec springs. At that height level, the lift becomes a lot more useful.

Caeruleus11, Rbwiii and theplanner like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

correctomundo. Ive never used lift. My car has homelink but cant get the damn thing to work.

horse stitch I think is a must. but other than that, I think you got all the basics. I personally prefer a black interior but your car, your choice.

sampelligrino likes this.
  9. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’m 6’ 175 lb. large goldrake racing seats fit me perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

sampelligrino likes this.
  10. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    Think u got the basics ticked, perhaps the horse stitching is one I would add over apple carplay.

Lift only required if u ever intend on lowering, especially if u r used to the height of the GT3.

Only think to consider is the diff colour/ material u hv in ur interior in terms of carbon on the steering wheel, gloss black trim and silver / grey matte trim. Be nicer without the carbon imo, otherwise go full carbon inside \ no carbon at all and it’s annoying the door handles are no carbon options unless TM. I think the non carbon would go better with ur leather...

Congrats!

sampelligrino and iloveferrari like this.
  11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I also just saw the titanium exhaust option.

Just know that all that option does is change the exhaust tips from silver to black. The actual exhaust is still the exact same, and is stainless steel. I've seem some buyers get unpleasantly surprised after discovering they paid Ferrari nearly $3000 to black out their tips and save maybe 0.2lbs.

sampelligrino and iloveferrari like this.
  12. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's the difference between rolling into my driveway at 10-15 mph vs a slow diagonal approach.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I as you love the standard wheels and also went with the silver calipers . IMO looks nicer and less Ronald McDonald look.

Do go for the electrochromatic mirror option. The standard Rear view mirror looks like its from an 80's Toyota.

Looks like you didn't opt for any carbon. Again I don't like it so zero for me. And to go with the theme I have LED steering wheel but no carbon.

I did go with an all leather interior except carpets because again the roof material looks , feels nasty . Like a scouring pad.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sam - how important is it for you to custom build your spec? Resale values on 488 have softened and you can save some significant bucks by buying a used car. Just food for thought.

15. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Consider not doing the upper dash in cuoio. It's by far the richest looking interior color out there, but the prior owner of my car told me he ordered his prior car with the cuoio dash and the glare was too much. He said never again and ordered this one black. I personally like the look.

But don't do all black. A Ferrari should be red/tan.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  16. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

1. If you do get the racing seats, you'll need to order the Inner and Outer Electrochromatic Mirrors + Homelink separately (which I did). The seat lifter is a worthwhile feature; many will disagree, but it's nice to be able to make small up/down comfort adjustments on longer drives.
    2. The embroidered cavallino, special stitching and racing strip on the seats really dresses up the interior.
    3. The lifter is essential for me, and I agree it will potentially have appeal at resale. (AFS option is required).
    4. The premium hifi is pretty good. Not really audiophile quality but pretty darn good. Glad I got it.
    5. Front and rear parking sensors are a must. I got the rear camera but it's not very useful so I'd probably pass on it next time.
    6. Sport exhaust pipes give the car a more aggressive look; Glad I got that too.
    7. Precise agreement with what Mandalay said about the leather and steering wheel. I would add leather rear shelf as well.

sampelligrino and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    I agree with Viperjoe about the seat lifter if you are going with the racing seats, especially if you ever let someone who isn't as tall as you drive.

I thought the front axle lift was a must have based on my experience with the Scuderia and GT3RS so I got it on mine, but now I don't know that I would recommend it. I've used it a couple times, but with the 488 being higher and me being used to taking it easy on sketchy driveways, I've stopped using it completely.
    I think people think they need it more than they actually do.

19. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I had a Gallado for 5 years without the lift. Never needed it. Come time to sell the car I had people who passed because of no lift. To me it seems like a waste of money and added weight. Others disagree.

Viperjoe and sampelligrino like this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Second hand WILL NEVER substitute the fun enjoyment of specing your own car. Its not always about money.

21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    +10000

pdxjim488, Viperjoe, IPO1 and 2 others like this.
  22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    That's true in general, but in this case, with 488 phasing out and new car in horizon, I am just not sure - especially when he later finds a used one that looks almost exactly the way he wants. His specs is very nice but I don't think is that hard to find.

I probably will save the money and get the used 488, in this particular case.

ColeP, IPO1 and SoCal to az like this.
  23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #23 sampelligrino, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Let's jump into this, forcing myself to take a 30 min break from work since I am just exhausted and this is good fun/educational for me. Good news is its looking like another dealership can come through with an allocation *and* I can have a couple weeks to fly in, bring my father with me to the store, and I can spec the car in-person with him to celebrate the occasion if it materializes. Really wanted to do it that way rather than spec my first Fcar via email bullet points... bigger problems in the world though I know.

I gotta have Apple CarPlay. Supposedly it doesn't work all the time in the Ferrari? But having it in my 991.2 GT3, I use it all the time and I love it. Must have for me to get Apple/Google Maps in the car, Spotify, etc. I am 100% sure the infotainment is not going to be the highlight of the 488 but still figured if I can option it why not and I'll use it.

As far as differing trims I noticed that too. I noticed A LOT of 458/488 have the CF LED wheel but no other interior CF options so I can't be the only one. My line of thinking was at least the CF wheel can match the CF buckets (Goldrakes), then the rest of the trim is the standard silver matte trim? I personally don't like carbon fiber bits inside or out, but don't know if I want to pay to wrap the backs of the Goldrake seats in leather (if even an option) and also pay to get the LED wheel withOUT CF. I will say that the buckets in my GT3 look super cool though and those are pure CF.

Hmmm did not know that. This could sound funny I guess but I really want silver tips to match with the silver theme of the build with Titanio, standard wheels and alu calipers. From the online configurator, sport exhaust system turns the tips black, standard is silver, and I guess titanium is titanium. I need to ask my dealer what the hell titanium exhaust even gets me exactly LOL.

I can and will probably have to do the slow approach anyways since someone always has their car in the driveway (only 2 car garage)!

This is a very good question/point. Thought about this hard and I still pop onto eBay and Auto Trader to see what's out there. Prices for sure are dropping and 488 replacement coming soon, so you are spot on for significant savings of 30-40k I'd wager on some really nice specs.

For my first Ferrari, and because my spec is not Red on Tan or Red on Black, I really think I'd like to take the time to spec it out and build it to my taste (and I guess pony up that extra $). Especially because I can only have 1 fun car for space reasons for the foreseeable future, my thinking is lets swing for the fences and why not. My "must-haves" are also really quite firm to complete the car for me and unfortunately those are tough to find (Goldrakes, standard silver wheel, titanio on cuoio, no crazy tailoring options)...I did see one kind of close to my spec at Ferrari of Houston but it didnt have the right wheel, had Daytona race seats, and a lot of interior/exterior CF bits along with some other options I wasn't a fan of.

I've never one to shy away from depreciation and don't care too much about it as that line of thought takes away from the car and how I love these damn things, but I do know undeniably I'll be looking at a bit hit speccing new with the 488 replacement coming too. Figured I won't be in the running for the replacement anyways, not for awhile as I'm not going to do the ADM/premium/allocation hunting hula hoops thing. Love the 458 looks and really coming around to the 488 since the 488 is an evolution of the 458 design to my eyes.

Just my thoughts where I'm coming from as I still ponder the same question too.

Yeah I am definitely scared of the glare, especially because the car will end up in Hawaii. We are already out of the running on Red on Tan as I am almost 100% set on Grigio Titanio for exterior, but I am torn between full Cuoio (looks the best to me), upper Nero lower Cuoio (meh but practical), and full Nero which can still work with the silver theme but now it's full silver black vs silver tan.

I actually really like the look, but I also see the glare lol. Thanks for sending that my way, it does look good cmon!

1 - Thinking about the mirrors as I saw an appreciated comment I failed to quote about the standard rearview mirror looking like it belongs in a Toyota not 300k car. For seat lifter, no one should be driving my car but me LOL and unfortunately in Hawaii not too many long drives > 1-2 hrs which is a bummer for sure.

2 - I just find those to be a bit much personally but I am still thinking about the interior stitching and cavallino.

3 - think I may pass on lifter and if I take a hit on resale c'est la vie...

4 - Thanks! good to know

5 - I just hate the look but the practicality is undeniable. I did read that the rear parking camera is very low to the ground/not ideal, but with my GT3 (has no sensors just rear camera) I've been ok in Los Angeles which can be a third world country at times when it comes to driving/parking.

6 - can you elaborate? I see 3 factory options, standard exhaust, sport exhaust system, and titanium exhaust.

7 - Noted on leather rear shelf. What did you do about the headliner?

Thanks again!

Yeah this is my line of thoughts with the lifter as well. I do see how it could hurt resale and think that's a valid point (I would NOT buy a 991 GT car without the lifter, I even scrape with the lifter up), but I never spec my cars for the next guy. All of these options start to add up as well and I still need to think about tax and the PPF "tax" as well.

Yeah there are valid points on both sides. I don't like setting money on fire for no reason but I also won't shy away from paying a bit more to get the premium experience. I think I'm going to spec my first Ferrari if we can get it done!

24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    That's a fair/valid point, and I can see that side of the coin. But I think to have the opportunity to spec the 488 exactly how I want now for my first Fcar is very exciting to me, and I don't even know if I'm going to love the 488 replacement if it's following the Portofino/812 styling cues. In a perfect world I would have specced my own 458 and called it a day to hold onto for a long time but missed that boat. Maybe for a reason though, as the 488 might actually be the better car for me in Hawaii anyways since it's more of an occasion car to drive around the island at both low and not so low speeds :)

iloveferrari likes this.
  25. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    That's true. By the way, can you get a spider allocation instead? You are in Hawaii!

Plus speccing it with your father is priceless. Your father must be a great one having a son like you. Some of us are grandpa already.

Good job.