Lead on a 488 GTB allocation, review my potential spec? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lead on a 488 GTB allocation, review my potential spec?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Feb 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    This was really helpful mandalay, thanks. Love your car/spec, enjoyed reading your thread on the car as you awaited delivery. Noted about trying to go for as much leather in the interior as possible. Love your nonCF LED wheel, I am currently speccing the CF LED wheel because at least the thought is the CF will tie in with my CF race seats, and I'll leave the rest of the interior with the standard silver trim.

Lol I've always been a coupe guy, and to be honest with you even if I wasn't, to have that view of the engine to me is priceless. I always feel like I'm a 10 year old kid again when I see that view!

And thanks for your kind words, I just try my best to be as good of a son as I can be because I know I am/was/will be very lucky to have the father I do. It's his fault I'm actually considering spending 300k on a car to begin with as I remember being a kid in the backseat of his 911 growing up. We did euro delivery in my GT3 last year for 2.5 weeks across Europe and it was the trip of a lifetime. Going to try and do something similar but in the US if/when I get the car. Feel like I'm getting older because the most important thing about these cars for me are the memories and just trying to make more :)

Motorwerks likes this.
  2. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Oh and this pic (from Google) has been the inspiration for my spec. I remember when I first saw this when looking for silver 458 pictures and my jaw just dropped

This 458 has some deviated stitching which I don't know that I love so I'm still torn on that

edit - I know this is Nurburgring but for some reason I like titanio more than Nurburgring on the 488.

Attached Files:

3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Yes. The memories....

sampelligrino likes this.
  4. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    The glare issue with full Cuoio is real. My friend’s 458 with it looked great, but it was annoying to drive.

I have Nero exterior and Nero on the top of the interior and Cuoio elsewhere, and think it works great. The seats are such a dominating part of the interior, that it does feel “colorful” inside. I strongly recommend the Cavillino stitching (I did Nero) as it adds a nice touch to the seats.

I use my lifter fairly regularly around town, just to be extra careful.

I have homelink and haven’t even tried to set it up, and just use a clicker. It came with the electric seats for some reason, but I definitely don’t think that is “must have.”

If you really want CarPlay it’s your car, but man, the price for the value there is just offensive ... I just connect my iPhone with Bluetooth and the music sounds fine, and never need Nav in this car (I just drive it for fun), so it just depends on your wallet’s pain tolerance.

5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    With the cars basically priced double than the States, when you actually save to buy your first Ferrari a second hand one just wont do, well for me even if it had 50 kms exact spec and 50 grand cheaper.

It was an experience of a life time well for me.

I wish my father or father-in-law were around :( I would have loved to have taken them with me and i would bet they would have asked me before I asked them. Ferrari lovers

I noticed you wanted a dedication plate . Well I got one , and befitting to my dads and father-in-law memory
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Really helpful, thanks. I really don't know if I can personally warm up to the admittedly very popular option of doing the upper dash in Nero and lower/seats in color of your choice, I am leaning towards either full cuoio or full Nero. Glare is now being investigated and researched fully, going to talk to my dealer and some other people about it as well who have experience. I just really love the look of full cuoio for some odd reason and might prefer to live with the glare to get that amazing look I want, especially since it's glare in direct sun but sun goes down 5pm in Hawaii every month and I'll also be up early to do drives before the crowds.

I personally don't care for the homelink either as I also use the clicker, but if its bundled with the mirrors I might get it anyways because mandalay mentioned the standard rearview mirror looks terrible. Will vet it either way.

On Apple CarPlay you have me thinking twice as its a 5k option if I am not mistaken. I also forgot that the 488 can do bluetooth streaming because in my 458 search the 458 did *not*

Thanks for sending that my way. I've found other specs very similar too, but all of them were missing at least one different must have option for me. This one doesn't have the race seats or shields among other things but I can see the substantial savings argument.

Love it and appreciate the slightly darker titanio as a great in-between from Nurburgring to Silverstone. Always love the "boring" silver cars but that's just my style, the car already speaks for itself and to get this gorgeous silver shade will be really nice

Thanks for sharing, I'm sorry for your loss and reinforces why I try to do as much as I can with my old man while we still have the chance/time. Looks like your father and father in law are still with you in spirit!

What is funny is I wanted the dedication plate that shows the listed options in the frunk, I was thinking that was the option and not a personalized dedication plate! As far as buying new vs used I think I am with you that it's been a dream of mine for a long time so why not go big as long as I'm happy and have open eyes with the financial cost to spec new.

8. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    The grigio titanio has a subtle blue hue under the sunlight. It's my favorite part of the color. I am sure you will LOVE it!

9. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I ordered the leather headliner and leather rear shelf, as well as the LED steering wheel in full leather ( no CF).

The sport exhaust is really just the tips finished in flat black.

I hope this helps clarify.

10. Sam,

LIFT. I know you have a GT3 ... do you have the FAL on the GT3? If you don't, can you get by without it? If so, then you don't need it on the 488. Even if you do use the FAL on the GT3, chances are you will not need it on the 488 as it rides much higher than the GT3 and the shape of the front overhang is less aggressive (i.e., it slopes upwards as opposed to jutting straight out horizontally like on the GT3).

Parking Sensor/Camera. I would keep and/or option both parking sensor and rear camera (front camera not necessary IMO if you have the parking sensors)

Apple CarPlay. Ditch Apple CarPlay. It is nowhere as fast as it is on the 991.2 GT3. If the 488 suffers from any kind of lag, it's with the electronics, not with its turbo chargers.

Seat Lift. No need for lift, even with the Goldrake seats.

Congrats on the allocation. The waiting will be difficult but worth it.

sampelligrino and SoCal to az like this.
  11. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    i have a cuio lower and black upper dash which works well for me. The wheel is CF, LED and black so it looks perfect with a black tach..Exterior is grigio silverstone. I have my calipers in gray/charcoal which looks great, lighter colors need too much cleaning (brake dust makes them look unkept). lift is a good option to have. keep in mind there is a embossed logo on the headrest anyway the stiching in my opinion makes it too busy especially if you are not getting contrast stitching. dont have home link I keep the remote in my car.
    Titanium exhaust should be amazing !

congrats on your car !

12. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Most likely skip the front axle lift. I too have a 2018 GT3 Manual and almost never use it. The 488 is definitely much higher in stance.

Definitely skip the silly overpriced Apple CarPlay. The standard bluetooth capable interface is fine.Nero interior is my taste due to glare. Race seats plus a nero interior seem to be a popular "488 thing"

+1 on the JBL sound system and definite on the leather headliner (it gives you deviated stitching in a nice pattern on the headliner as well).

13. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #39 iloveferrari, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Applecar option is simply BAD idea.

I would rather use the money to get something else, such as carbon fiber in the back - between the headlight.

Wait, it's 488.. not 458. Never mind

14. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    488 doesn‘t need lift - unless u go offroad. :D
    Front height is not comparable with GT3, etc. Much more space and still short distance to front axle.

15. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The front end lift question is much like the 458 vs. 488 debate. Most are either strongly in favor or strongly opposed. I use the front end lifter on my 488 every time I take the car out, so for me it's a must have. If you only need it once, you'll recover your investment and be glad that you had it. In all fairness to those opposed, road conditions in your local areas have much to do with your POV.

16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Leaning towards no lifter (I use it on the GT3 but again that car really is very low and I still scrape with lifter up sometimes). Now 50/50 on CarPlay after seeing many of the comments here. First thing I do when I get in my GT3 is plug my phone in for CarPlay to get nav and music going, but for $5k and if it's not going to work as well as the Porsche I may skip it. Also appreciated reading here that the 488 does support bluetooth music streaming which is great. Feels like death by a 1000 cuts when optioning a Ferrari :)

Thinking I want leather as much as I can get in the car, so thinking of leather headliner and leather rear shelf. Still leaning towards full cuoio and "brave the glare" because the look just sings to me

No idea what titanium exhaust gets me so need to look into that

Does the 488 generate a lot of brake dust? Coming from Porsche PCCB which are just about perfect, 0 brake dust and just amazing pedal feel.

Still opposed to front sensors as I want my first Ferrari to look the part but also don't want to crack that front splitter on the 2nd day on a parking curb. Maybe I just go with the single front camera? Or I guess just go for the sensors... still torn.

I assume it is more expensive to option the LED wheel withOUT CF? I am torn though because I'd be getting the Goldrakes which have the CF backing and the CF LED wheel would at least tie in there.

Saw the standard rearview mirror in some video reviews and man is that thing fugly. Don't know if I want to drop another 5k to fix it though!

Thanks again everyone. Great great input, many things I hadn't considered yet

17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #43 Napoli, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Front camera stands out on the 488 like a bullet hole. And if it performs anything like the rear camera, fuggedaboudit.

Going with leather rather than CF did not increase or decrease the cost of my wheel. The cost is in the LED’s.

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Theres a lot of great advice and I apologize but I can't read through everything right now. Some quick thoughts:

1- Get the lifter. At some point you will regret not having it- it could be when you drive the car or when you some day go to sell it.

2- Interior: How about Blu Sterling for the dash and steering wheel and lower areas and Cuoio for the seats and upper areas (aside from a-pillars which should also be dark). It would be very luxurious and elegant. Blu Sterling is like a navy blue.

3- Car Play: hideously expensive- the best guess I can up with is its a licensing fee (much smaller group of buyers vs the German brands (where it can cost a few hundred bucks sometimes). But, if you want Waze, or easy Spotify/ Tidal integration, you will want it. Yes on the face of it, its stupidly priced, but its your car and if you will enjoy it more with it, then get it.

4- HiFi- you can get the basic 488 stereo to sound pretty good, but if you're going to get the CarPlay, you might as well get the hi-fi- which does sound considerably better.

5- LED on steering wheel, definitely get this as its part of the Ferrari theater- I also actually use mine all the time!- you can have them wrap the steering wheel in leather and no CF on the center part- the cost is the same as the LED wheel.

6- I wouldn't worry if you see the CF on the back of the seats. You really won't notice it often.

7- Make sure to spec the seats in the right size for you- most people find Large is a good choice.

8- Definitely get the rear camera and I would recommend the sensors in the back. The front sensors are nice to have, but I think disturb the look a bit and the front of this car is not so hard to judge. Same thoughts for the front camera.

9- Ferrari ceramic brakes make almost no observable brake dust when street driving. On the track you will get some.

iloveferrari and sampelligrino like this.
  19. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Not trying to talk to you out of the Blue Sterling, but know that it will be a resale issue. Just saying.

Viperjoe likes this.
  20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thank you everyone, I think I have most bases covered now. Of course options are very subjective but I am seeing a consensus on some options and this has been informative to say the least. Just spoke with Viperjoe on the phone as well who offered some of his thoughts, it's a great community here.

Will update as this develops, waiting on a tentative plan from my dealership

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I've not encountered that on a few cars with BS/ Blu Scuro (the predecessor). I have seen the full Cuoio dash/ steering wheel become a resale issue (which I happen to like). I think there's always someone for whatever spec it is. Someone will like it, or someone won't.

22. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Its really special to take your dad to spec your first Ferrari..Lifetime memories long after the Ferrari is gone..
    Now to the car.
    If i had a 488 in Hawaii it would be a 488 Spider non negotiable..All pros and no cons in Hawaii.
    Personally i would get the Rosso exterior with the two tone Tan leather with Nero dash..I've been watching the NEW Magnum on TV and can't imagine a Hawaiian 488 in anything other than a Spider and full Magnum look..
    Good luck whatever you do..FWIW i recently bought my first Ferrari which is a Grigio Silverstone 458 Italia and my 78 year old dad wanted a drive in it the day it arrived..I own nice Porsches like a 991.2GT3 and 981 Spyder and funnily he never asked for a spin in those.
    The Ferrari magic is unrivalled IMO.

23. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Good luck with your order....you really can't go wrong. My new 488 Spider is on order (went to paint shop last week) and like you, I chose Grigio Titanio. I traded in a red/nero '18 GTB so I already had tried that direction.

One thing I did that I would recommend is download into my photo file every picture on Ferrai Chat that showed Goldrake seats. Then one can quickly go though and compare and discard. I really liked the seats that had the optional stripe down the middle and also the (seldom seen) optional stripe around the outer edge so that's what I got. My interior will be grey and black with the red trim leather and red stitching. Computer pictures look nice but I have never seen that exact combination on a real car.

No Apple CarPlay for me. Bluetooth was fine on my previous one and on this one I will be top down listening to the exhaust (without the titanium tips). I did get the seat lift and front end lift (based upon recomendations) but did not feel either was really essential.

Steering wheel lights are essential since the cars winds so fast there really isn't time to look at the tach. And frankly I found the yellow faced tach that is so popular (it looks great) was hard to read at a glance. This time I stuck with the standard black face with white indicator and numbers. Maybe I can learn to digest it's information more quickly.

f308gtsi and sampelligrino like this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Countries have different specifications. Whether its because we pay so much more for our cars I found out the Full electric seats were standard no cost.
    Hen why pay more to get the goldrake. Plus i wanted electric seats for memory function. Its great press a button seat goes back , reclines, steering wheel goes up and in. Max room getting in and out without premature wearing of the seats bolsters. Then with the want all leather I also did the back of the seats the rear upper , headlining , steering wheel all leather and with the white stitching shows all the shapes. Red stitch was a bit Japanese for me and gets lost. The white pops.

The all leather steering wheel is just a simple option now where as when I did it, it was extra.
    The feel of the leather wins hands down rather than touching plastic

As stated the roof material :( Do not like and the rear view mirror. Doesn't look good on such a dear car.

Remember its what you want / like, hence why I went for a 20 k extra on the Rosso Corsa to Metalized version. There is a reason for that. Or the passenger display.
    Most people wouldn't pick those options.

BTW I found the standard black taco to be better with my scheme and no cost.

Rear sensors are standard. Funnily I didn't spec the front sensors and as we were finalising the price i just asked how about a discount or something for free and blow me down he said they would include the front sensors no cost :)

Viperjoe likes this.