Lead on a 488 GTB allocation, review my potential spec? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Lead on a 488 GTB allocation, review my potential spec?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Feb 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! Welcome to the family!

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Looks GREAT. As I have said which you also took up the standard rims and aluminium calipers. IMO looks better.

Just one thing you might go for as an option change the center cap to silver. That way there is no clash of yellow with the shields as the yellows are different

3. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Despite everybody chipping in with their personal taste, i believe you did the right thing by following your own instinctive taste, and listening to your heart.
    Titanio with Cuoio is an absolute stunning color combo and a nice change from red.

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    A big thanks to everyone, really appreciate all the help, thought, and input with my spec from start to finish. If I didn't say it already I'm excited with how the car turned out as I find myself glancing at the PDF rendering annoyingly often...Need to get back to focusing on work. Hoping it looks even better in person!

Wanted to run some more questions by you guys:

- Ownership experience at this point: is there anything to do or expect other than sign up for the MyFerrari thing to get the pictures of the car as it makes its way through production before delivery? Read the pictures can come late but will still be cool nonetheless

Learn Italiano? lol. Just want to make the most of the experience and soak it all in

- HELE: not really sure why but begged the GM not to add the thing to my car as I assumed it had to do with auto start and stop. Damn option was added. What does this do exactly? Forgot to ask him

- PPF: I know this is very subjective and can differ from person to person. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer

That being said I had my GT3 "PPF'd" with the seemingly now standard paint correction then PPF (Suntek Ultra) on full front/rockers/some custom front side and rear parts, then ceramic coating on top and on wheels and calipers. This was my first experience with that and spent a pretty penny on it ($8k), but really happy I actually did that as my car with 5k more miles on it still looks brand new and better than new when detailed

Would love to get your thoughts on if you suggest the same or even a full wrap for a car of this caliber perhaps. That's what I'm thinking is build a force field around the car (lol) because I want to drive it. I'm going to get quotes for both in either case from Moe @ GP here in Costa Mesa who I really trust and enjoy working with. Also want to add a very very light ceramic tint which is basically invisible (60 on my GT3) but made an appreciable difference in blocking sun/heat in sunny SoCal

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ownership Experience You are right to sign up for My Ferrari. Ask the dealer if there is anything special you should do. You should attend some events when you are invited. Especially if they are from Ferrari/ FNA. If you happen to be near Maranello, you should go see the factory. You can have a tour, but you will need to schedule it well in advance.

HELE You're right- its start/ stop. I think all cars are mandated to have this by US law. So you are out of luck on this one. The start stop system defeat button is on the headliner next to the door lock button (right above the rear view mirror). It will become a ritual after you press the engine start button.

PPF Do what you did on your Porsche except this time wrap the whole car. Just my 2 cents.

Once you get it, follow the break in procedure, and then drive drive drive drive it. It won't melt in the rain, just enjoy it.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'd read the owners manual cover to cover a few times. Before I ever turned the key on my 458, I had read the manual 3 times. It really helps to fully understand the car and also the programming and messages, lights, etc. You should be able to setup an account at Ferrari.com and download the manual

Ray

sampelligrino and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Don't know where you are but yes sign up. You can then down load the manual. Read it but it will also make more sense when you have the car.

There will be a time when they will upload the production pictures.

We over in Australia do get some nice presents :) From the dealer several bottles of Italian wine.

A subscription to Ferrari magazine.

A telephone call from a really nice sounding Italian girl to thanks us and if everything was alright with the dealer.

A leather pouch with a letter congratulating us.

A silver car in a box with space to put our key ( wouldn't do that though )

and now I've been told another present a model replica of the car I ordered with vin number etc. ( pick it up tomorrow :) )

Ild PPF the car and ceramic it for sure. Even take it to a higher level and get them to custom PPF under the panels where the standard cut outs of the PPF don't include ( under the bumper , under the sills , under the rear bumper. Basically the most likely spots for gravel rash. Tint looks good also

Glad we didn't have to have HELE , Hat hearing cars start up when your at the lights. Looks like its an expensive white elephant.

Make sure dealer only double side tape the rear number plate and if you have to have the one in the front the carbonio removable unit is great.

Another great thing is to get water filter to use when washing the car. I use snow and then blow down tha car. Makes washing easy and fast and you don't even touch the car as the everything slides of easy with the PPF and ceramic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Sam, what was the cost on the Carplay? I do not have it but love it in my other car.

9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    $4,219 ... Good news is if I use it half as much as I did in my GT3 I’ll be fine with the cost.

Actually that leads me to a good question, on the non-media/CarPlay TFT screen - can you show a digital speedo? Or is that only possible to get the large digital speedo on the media side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdxjim488 likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You can get it on both sides. Reason is there are other countries in the world that drive on the correct side :)

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Regarding HELE, not sure whether this has been changed but initially it was possible to put it off once and for all, so that it was not necessary to turn it off at each start up.

12. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks, I have to deal with HELE on my 991.2 C4 every day when I get in, first thing is turn off ASS (auto start stop) so I'm thinking it shouldn't be a big deal..

Some more questions for you guys:

In regards to the transmission (very familiar with the amazing PDK box in the Porsche 991 gen but wondering how different Ferrari's DCT is in terms of operation):

• What is the difference between "automatic mode" ("auto" displayed apparently) and "auto easy exit" mode with "auto" displayed along with an arrow in the tach display? So there are 3 modes: manual mode, automatic mode, and auto easy exit mode? You cycle between the 3 by pressing the auto button?
    • And in manual mode if you don't shift, will you bounce off the rev-limiter (which is apparently not 8000 I am finding out lol)? Will the DCT downshift for you to prevent lugging the engine as you come to a stop? Reading the manual didn't make this clear for me
    • When you are ready to park/turn the car off, do you just press ignition button on the steering wheel when in first gear at a stop or engage the e-brake?

Here we go again with the tender question..
    • My plan is to take delivery in June and keep the car in CA for 2-3 months to break it in and enjoy these roads before shipping home to Honolulu (in HI tender no problem). In LA here because I am in an apartment building, I can't get power anywhere near my space or in my garage for that matter unless I have an electric car (discrimination). But the car won't sit for more than 4-5 days a time max in between good drives. I am hoping that the battery can last that long/without issue especially being a new batt. Still have a nightmare in the back of my mind to go to a Ralphs or Target and come back to find the car dead...

Misc questions

• Anyone upgrade from the chrome bolts to Ti bolts? I want to do it and buy Ray's bolts for sale he's used on his cars, but my GM said their shop might not like/want to do that. I might either just buy and install myself/have my PPF guy install, or go by the book and let them have their way with me on the full retail price to upgrade. Much prefer the Ti look with the new captive washer style especially on the titanio colored car
    • Ti exhaust. Does anyone have this or know what this is exactly (lol)? Tried researching around and I'll get around to asking my GM but I've found you guys to be quite helpful so it's your fault. My assumption is I paid handsomely just for OEM Ti tips as I assume none of the mufflers are in Ti, but hopefully they heat cycle and look cool....
    • Anything unique to look out for in regards to PPF for the car? Can the headlights take the PPF and not risk delamination? Thinking of having all painted surfaces PPF'd
    • Wait 5 seconds before starting the engine when you get in the car? I think I read this for the 458

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I hate HELE and it's one reason I bought a new 2018 from a straw buyer instead of waiting on my spec to arrive last November. It would have been a 2019 and I would have been forced into HELE. On my 2014 991tts and CayenneTTS the stop/start switch was like a toggle switch. You pressed it once and didn't have to press it ever again unless you just wanted it on. That changed in 2015 I think because my 2015 RR Sport and 2016 Maserati both had it where the button had to be pushed every time you started the car in order to disable the auto start stop.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I can answer a few questions...
    Auto easy exit is the default mode (that you cannot escape, apparently) at start up, it's auto but it will revert to manual if you use the paddle to shift... so what I do usually is to shift to 2nd gear before the auto system does (early upshift is not an issue with a cold engine, and there's enough torque to allow it). This "easy exit" mode worked the same on the old F1 gearboxes.
    Manual mode will downshift automatically to prevent you from stalling, even in manual mode; in race it will not upshift (it will just prevent the rev to build up), but I'm not sure what happens in sport mode.
    Ti exhaust are just the tips, so it's rather cosmetic.

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You'd be surprised how fast that stock battery can go flat. Also, when a battery is cold (i.e. the car is not parked in a warm garage), that can have a negative impact on supplying cranking amps when you go to start. This is why batteries usually have a "cold cranking amp" rating. In my experience, the 488 chews through reserve capacity a little faster than the 458 also. The only real work around (other than the tender) is to upgrade to a Lithium Ion battery, which doesn't lose its reserve as fast. Even then, because the 488 doesn't charge exactly the same as the 458, you may still need to use the tender once in a great while. However, on my 488, with the Braille i48CS, I could usually go about three weeks without risking the car not cranking over. In the 6 months I had my 488, I only ran into one case where after about a month of not driving, I had to top off the Braille battery (which surprised me, because with the 458 Italia, that never happened at all). With the stock 488 battery, I think it went flat in something like three or four days, but maybe other owners can chime in with their experiences.

That's just comical to me. If you asked the GM to order you Titanium bolts via their parts department, they'd get right on it. Too funny.

I don't think you are getting a full titanium exhaust system from Ferrari for $3K... $30K maybe :)

Ray

iloveferrari and sampelligrino like this.