Leaking 328 Oil Filler Cap...fixable? | FerrariChat

Leaking 328 Oil Filler Cap...fixable?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by battman, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hello all,

Now that my '86 328 (purchased this past Jan) is getting used a lot (let's hear it for spring)...I'm chasing down several oil leaks. One of them is clearly coming from the oil filler cap.

Has anyone had a similar issue and found a fix for this? It looks like a robust rubber gasket might do the trick, but I welcome all advice.

Alternatively, where is a good place to get a replacement?

Thanks, Battman

2. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Battman:
    I had this problem with my 328. I tried to make a new gasket by cutting one out of a soft piece of, I think it was, 1/8" thick sheet rubber. It seems that the rubber may be too soft because after it was on for a while it really stuck on. I had to use a pliers (with soft jaws) to get it off. I would try taking-off the original gasket and shimming it up with something in the vicinity of .015 thick? Another approach would be to use a firmer rubber sheet or perhaps a piece of soft 1/16" bonded to a firmer piece of 1/16". Put the firmer rubber towards the valve cover. If I work it further I'll keep you posted.

Mark
    PS I "did" about a year in Two Rivers, Wi.