Leaking Optima battery? | FerrariChat

Leaking Optima battery?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ca_scud, Sep 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    #1 ca_scud, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,
    I was going to install a Ctek pigtail onto the battery of my recently acquired Scuderia and when I opened the panel I noticed some dried blue residue at the bottom of the battery.

From what I can guess, the retaining bar on the battery may have been over torqued squeezing fluid out of the battery. When I removed the retaining bar, the same blue fluid was underneath the bar and on the battery at each of the points where it contacts the battery. I guess it could have come from something above, but when I gave it a quick look I didn't find anything.

What does it look like to you guys?
    Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DanS*

DanS* Karting

May 29, 2012
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    First be sure it isn't windshield washer fluid or anything like that.
    Unfortunately, I think you're probably correct. One way to tell is to put some baking soda mixed with water on the blue stuff (maybe the removable hold down bar first). If it bubbles and reacts it's neutralizing the acid. If that happens, you want to use the baking soda solution on all the leaked acid until it's all neutralized, then repetitively clean with water. The battery electrolyte is highly corrosive. You need to get it neutralized and off everything before it does real damage.
    When you pull the battery (which you should do very soon to clean it if nothing else) I think you'll be able to tell if it's leaking.
    Let's hope it's harmless.

3. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello not sure, but I thought Optimas were Dry. Anyway Ive got one myself (yellow top) not sure there worth the money.

Well I just looked at mine, I guess there is some sulfric acid in there.

Id say its windshield water. Thanks Norm

4. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I did a quick check on the bar and it didn't seam to react to the baking soda + water. Although there might not have been enough on the bar.

I also checked again and it appears it's coming from the seam of the battery where the red top meets the rest of the battery. There are drip marks down the side from the seam.

We checked above and all around the area and there are no signs of any fluids elsewhere so I'm guessing it's probably not a leak from the washer fluid.

Anyways, I'm a bit surprised. I'll pull the battery all the way out tomorrow for clean up and replacement and I'll report back with what I find.

5. F-Nut

F-Nut Karting

Nov 30, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hate to say it, but optima batteries aren't as good as they used to be. There has been a little cost cutting on those recently. I still think Interstate makes the best automotive batteries out there. And they're cheaper too...

6. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    does the yellow top fit ie are red and yellow tops the same size or do i need to modify the tray?

whats the difference between the yellow and red top optimas?

thanks

7. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Did you check to see if your AC condensate line is clogged. If clogged the AC system will not drain out of the passenger compartment and water find its way around the passenger compartment by way of gravity.
    As to the difference between the yellow and red top optima batteries. The Yellow is a deep cycle battery. Deep cycle is preferred for its ability to provide power over greater periods than a standard battery when the car is not running. The red top usually has 50 - 70 more CCA than the yellow top but is not designed to provide power as long as the yellow top without the vehicle running.
    One other thing to note. The 360 requires a "R" series battery. This means the positive terminal is on the right instead of the left. Have not found any reference materials detailing a yellow series 34 with revered terminals. Just put a red top in my 360. All worked well. Had to buy a new set of 8" hold down rods as the OEM 7.25" rods were too short.

8. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    They are made by the same company. See the link below
    Interstate Batteries

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I do not think the battery is leaking. Optimas are big drycells not wet celled.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- Old thread, but Optimas are absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries that can normally even be mounted upside with no adverse effects.

Production moved to Mexico and quality seems to have been affected.

11. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Did production of the wet cell batteries move to Mexico too? If so has the quality of it decreased as well?

12. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A friend works for a national auto parts retailer. When I had him check my batteries condition we got into a discussion re. Optima batteries. He steered me in another direction because of recurring quality problems. Turns out my current battery tested fine for present.

13. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    I replace my batteries every 3 years. I keep my cars plugged to a battery tender.

A discharged Lead-Acid battery can spill acids.

For track days, I replace my Optima with my Li-Ion battery, I don't want a 40 lbs brick pulling 2g over those mounts, so my Porsche Li-Ion (11 lbs) does a better job for safety.