Leap of faith purchase | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Leap of faith purchase

Discussion in '348/355' started by Marcelo0131, Oct 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've been thinking (it happens!) that I would like to get my ppl also. Single piston planes seem to very reasonable and something I've always wanted.

2. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Hi Brian - I'd recommend going for it! I thought about it for years, and decided I needed to find out about it, for my own peace of mind (didn't want to get too old and wish I had)l. I think I misspoke in my note, but I didn't enjoy it enough considering the expense and commitment involved. But I'm really happy I did it and proud I earned the license!

Although some people join a flying club and don't buy a plane, I wouldn't want any restrictions, and would have bought a 172, if I continued flying. Pretty sure you can get a good one now for under $50k. 152s are a lot less, but hard to practically get more than 2 average people and luggage in them for a real trip with full fuel. And annual costs to run a 152 are really not much less than a 172. I would have planned $600-700/mo for routine service, annual inspection, insurance, fuel, and also salting some money away for the eventual $15k+ 2000hr major overhaul (practically the same whether 152 or 172). Still.. it was worth the cost to learn and experience flying, even though I decided not to keep doing it.