Lear 24 poor man's jet? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lear 24 poor man's jet?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Feb 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    NOT... there is no single engine take off permitted per the operating manual, to attempt to do so would be a breach of the insurance

...as a matter of fact there is not an operating manual ( unless one appeared in recent years ) for a prop plane that allows for single engine take off. It is only jets that have operating instructions for single engine take off...

2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    while a good flying airplane, it can come back and bite hard, it is not a plane for a timid or less than fully qualified pilot... with its' speed and responsive platform, it is easy to get behind the plane, especially in IFR...

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That was a Commander.

4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I also operated an Aerostar for a few years, and it is a great airplane. The cabin is a bit tight if you carry more than 1 or 2 passengers, but certainly no worse than a Baron 58 or similar.

I would recommend getting either a 602P or a 601P with one of the engine upgrades-- makes a big difference. This is a good summary of the differences:

Aerostar Owners Association

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    most fly their Aerostars with 5 seats, leaving the seat behind the pilot at home... it makes getting in and out much easier. To get in or out, the pilot's seat must be moved full forward ( into the panel ) to gain entry to the back of the plane, with the seat removed it opens the space a lot without climbing over the seat.

since this is a 24 topic, the Aerostar can be flown like a Lear during approach, it's speeds allow it to keep up with commercial traffic or take approaches and departures designed for turbines in large busy TCAs...

6. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    The rebirth of that thread got me dreaming for a few minutes before going back to earth. Having my own private jet has always been an ambition of mine but I have to face the fact I have not been professionally successful to do it properly.

I do have the need to shuttle family back and forth very frequently but the break-even point compared to commercial flights is simply very far especially when you're looking at trips which are very well covered by commercial flights (London to Nice in my case).
    Replicating the same level of safety and reliability takes bucket loads of money. I have enough to afford a few sportscars and own some real estate here and there but I don't have Russian oligarch money.

Now I am sure someone in the business, that has access to all the tricks in the books can probably manage with the occasional frustration. But for me, mere mortal, this is a distant dream.

Every time we get t Nice especially in he summer, I glance at the incredible array of private jets parked on the tarmac (literally from 747SP down to Cessna Mustang and everything in between) and I wonder how I could do better for myself and avoid waiting for the 24 rows f passengers ahead of me to go before I can disembark....

Jets are in the same league as proper custom yachts budget wise. Still you can watch them come and go for free.

7. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    London to Nice isn't "jet territory". That's a short trip. Could easily be done in a Cirrus. Go become a pilot and things will start to make sense.

Of course Europe is one of the worst places on the planet to be a pilot. Too much costs due to the government.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #58 rob lay, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    that level of plane flying typical 100-150 hours a year can expect all in costs over time to be $300 an hour low end for used slower depreciating model and more than $500 for brand spanking new.

there are good spreadsheets and internet forms out there where you can get a more exact number, but here are the basics...

Columbia/Cirrus is a $250-400k plane used and $500-800k new.

depreciation over time / hours = ?
    interest expense / hours = ?
    hangar expense / hours = ?
    gas expense = $60-125 per hour
    maintenance (oil changes $300 / annuals $4-6k) / hours = ?

those things add up quickly to that $300-500 per hour number. so many factors though. Used planes aren't depreciating as quick. These planes are some of the most efficient for the speed GPH (Gallons Per Hour). I fly Lean of Peak 16 GPH and get 200 knots.

If you can fly at all for business, then that helps a ton, it is very easy to % your plane for business use and have that expense and depreciation. I would guess over half the private planes out there have a partial business expense. Especially a few years ago with bonus depreciation it sold a bunch of "private" planes.

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks Rob...I can't believe how fast that Columbia is...200kts at 16 gph...very nice...quick math says that's roughly the same "gas mileage" as my SUV (converting to statutory miles and guessing at delta between roads and straight line distances).

One data point I had was $285 wet per hour from a good friend with an SR22...so same ballpark as your estimate...I think he flies around 200 hours per year.

10. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Yikes, I thought the Columbia was more fuel efficient than that. Of course I can't get up and go 200, but I can do an easy 160kts on ~ 11GPH.

I use my plane for business about 50%, and although it helps the bottom line a bit, there's still no real pay back in terms of paying for use. But - anything that muddies the 1040 waters is a good thing so I always add the schedule!

11. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Hi Jason, I don t disagree. But 4 people in a cirrus from london to nice, I guess it will be a lot slower than British airways with 1h35 mins.
    England is marginally better than France for the PPL. But I agree, flying is Europe is not freedom. rather the opposite.
    I am also concerned by lack of talent and tiredness. After a full week of work, I am not sure I can reach the level of professionalism needed to achieve the safety I want for my family.
    I would rather be comfy in the back of a learjet than a packed up airbus A320, but commercial flying is not too bad all things considered.
    Will keep on dreaming.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Aircraft in Europe are much more expensive than in the US. That said, a King Air C90 or a Turbo Commander would do London - Nice very pleasantly, and at a lower cost than many other options. For that matter, a Citation Mustang would do it even better.

If you try to compare the cost to airlines, then you will never do it. Private air travel will never be as cheap as airlines, or even close. It has many other benefits, but they are often hard to quantify in financial terms, so if you are someone who only cares about the lowest cost, don't even bother...

13. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I'd love to fly one to be like James Coburn character from In Like Flynt

14. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I wouldn't let an HSI, flight director or AP interface scare me off. Bonanzas, Dukes and even C55 Barons often are so equipped. That is all standard GA fare.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    with my G1000, my backup instruments come from jets. little mini altimeter, to rebuild it was $2k!

16. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Rob - is there an appreciable airframe difference between the earlier Columbia 400s equipped with Avidyne, versus the later ones like yours, with the G1000?

... and does the A/C work well?

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You see about a $50-125k gap between G1000 and Avidyne. My 2006 was first year of G1000 in the 400.

The AC is awesome! In the 4 years I've owned, no service has been needed on the AC. Even 100 degree Texas direct sun on the low wing bubble canopy it makes it tolerable for taxi. You can keep the AC on all through take off and climb. Once you gain a few thousand feet the temp gets where you want (I like it cold). Up at altitude you have to turn it down or off.

I think the best 400's are 2006-2008. They have G1000 and were last ones made in Bend, Oregon by Columbia. Cessna has done nothing but **** the airframe up. More weight, less quality, and more than twice the price!

18. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Check out Sierra's Stallion conversion. Straight to fl 43, 1800 range, 360 kit cruise. They are going for 1.1M in today's market.

Some have Garmin panels.
    Art

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Oh, I agree. The more I look at those, the more I think that's a great setup. The only question is whether the newer airframe of a late CJ for the same money is a better way to go.

20. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    I have a few hundred hours in Lear 23s and 24s. They do climb like stink, but are not really fast, as jet aircraft go. Further, you will face noise restrictions at many airports and, as has been pointed out, buy a lot of fuel. They are simple, but unforgiving of error. Do yourself a favor, buy a 210.

21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Must be a 601P. Otherwise your not gonna get 230kts. 230 mph maybe.

22. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    Incidentally, I agree that the Aerostar is a wonderful airplane. It will fly faster with one engine feathered than a Cessna 310 does on two. If I were looking for a recip twin I would look no further. I'm not the 'source authority' of course, but I've flown just about everything from a P-51 to F-18, 777, most Corporate type aircraft and back to the Aeronca Champ (another great airplane).