Leather cleaners - Lexol vs Leatherique | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Leather cleaners - Lexol vs Leatherique

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by TrojanFan, Sep 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    They're different products, you're comparing Apples to Oranges. Leatherique is a feeder/nourishment process for your leather that you massage in and then it brings up all the dirt and you wipe it off with a cleaner. Leatherique kits come with their own cleaner which is called "Pristine Clean" which is safer for leather than Lexol but may not get the tough stains out.

I use the leatherique rejuvenator oil and then use Lexol to wipe off. That's what works best for me.

2. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I use all three, Lexol, Leatherique, and Griots Garage. All are good products and actually pretty similar in results. Lexol cleaner and conditioner is easy to use and apply, leaves a nice scent too, almost like the new leather smell. Leatherique conditioner takes a little more effort to apply.

I can't say that one is amazingly better than the other. My rotation is usually Leatherique once or twice a year, and then Lexol or Griots in between.

If your shop recommends Lexol and obviously they see a lot of leather, then you should probably use it. Lexol products are usually readily available, easy to use, and effective.

3. drake123

drake123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2012
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Drake
    Has anyone tried Connolly Hide Food? I believe it was recommended also.
    Drake

4. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Has anybody mixed lexol and leatherique these on older leather (1975)? The lexol stuff is so easy to pick up and I've been procrastinating for yrs on ordering leatherique with other fixes that I'd rather do frankly. Has anybody done this?.....lex and then leatherique later on on old leather?

5. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I have used both and both work well. The process is different but both yield good results.

On my '79 with red leather, I have used both together. There were some areas which really needed help, no scratches but fading and dirt. The Leatherique did not clean as well as I would have liked and thus I used the Lexol that is and acts like a cleaner. (Note, I really need to have the leather redyed because it is faded in some areas.)

Lexol is quicker and I use it on newer leather.

On Leatherique, I have heard from many that for the best result, apply the rejuvenator and leave the car in the sun (top on) for the day. The rejenenator sinks in and then is cleaned off with the cleaner. I have used a heater in the car for this purpose as well.

6. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Thanks-this is great-I think I've heard the Leatherique trick with leaving the car in the sun-maybe a product review or somewhere. I have to pick up some Lexol- everything I've heard is it's easy and that would be great at least for now

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Excellent idea. I have a few different things to test.

8. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I found it ok to put on but a pain to remove.

9. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I'd go the opposite...Leatherique first, and then Lexol later. Leatherique seems "sink" in a bit more.

I think the instructions for Leatherique actually are for you to sit the car in the sun/heat to allow the leather to "open" up, then apply Leatherique, let it sit in the sun some more, and then buff off.

10. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    It is pretty amusing reading all the various threads on leather conditioners and cleaners. If you read some of the other threads you will find that, apparently, car leather is sealed so treatments can't actually soak in to them. I've had leather seats in cars that I've done nothing with for 10 years and they looked fine. Others says you have to keep them treated regularly. Read it all and then do what you are happy with.

Personally I've been using Chemical Guys Sprayable Leather. It basically wipes on and then buffs off and smells exactly like new leather. Is it the best stuff you can use on leather? I have no idea. It seems good and is easy to use and I like the feel and the smell of the leather after. It is radically different than dozens of other products out there? Probably not.

Rick

11. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Largely agree. If you take good care of it from the start, it is pretty easy. I have used Lexol now and then on cars I purchased new and they still look great.

Older leather that many not have been cared for is a different story. Much more work and I readily admit I am still learning.

12. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    My buddy's wife dumped a glass of red wine on this guys couch years ago and it was never the same. Since then I stay away from messing with leather anything-but it sounds like you can mix and match these products reasonably. It's hard to believe I'm more comfortable repainting the car than spraying some oil on the seats. If nothing else it sounds like Lex has some good cleaning capabilities for my first go round with this stuff

13. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Hi Peter. I use both Lexol cleaner and conditioner. Cleaner works really well. Hard to tell if conditioner is really "conditioning". I also use McGuier's leather condition creme and apply by rubbing in with latex-gloved hand.

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +1. I own them all, lexol, leatherique and Griots. For classic cars Griots is my favorite, just as effective as leatherique for regular conditioning without all the production.

15. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    have you used Lexol to clean the leather-then used the McGuiers directly afterwards?

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I thought Leatherique was more of a dye than a cleaner...I've never used it, but I've seen threads about it...is that incorrect?

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Its a two part process. It does clean and they say the white stuff that forms when it sets up for a couple days are salts from perspiration and other gunk that gets lifted out of the leather. It's a cumbersome process but if you need to do it, then you need to do it. Not an easy 4 times year thing for this kid!

The zaino bros Z-10 sounds interesting and I may give Lexol another try since it's been years.

18. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thank God the PO of my 308 did it already :)

Zaino Bros. are in the town I grew up in - one town over from me. They brought a McLaren MP4-12c to a recent C&C.

19. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    #44 JG333SP, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    I'm jealous!-but I can't complain-A few yrs with this car and the only neglect I've seen is the condition of the front seats. Hell, the engine/trans doesn't leak anything. I want to change out the valves to ss but I just can't justify cracking the heads off when it's so clean-and the compression is great. The old respray sucks but I can do paint. The seats are almost a distraction-but I've worked on enough old Italian cars to know life can a heck of a lot harder

20. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Has anyone have any experience with a product called Swissvax? It is from Switzerland, and they have a similar line like Groit's.

ceb39

21. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Has anyone have any experience with a product called Swissvax? It is from Switzerland, and they have a similar line like Groit's.

ceb39

22. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Kevin R is correct about the Leatherique product. However they also offer leather dyes either stock colors or they can match your current color if you supply them with a small piece to match.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have used all the other leather cleaner products mentiond - (not Swissvacs) and can comprehensively say that Leatherique is the way to go. on old leather and new.

I've used it on my 328 seats and interior and it really looks new. used it on my dads 50 year old 356 and keeps the seats looking perfect.

Pristine Clean = cleaner
    Rejuvinator oil= miracle we use it on our leather sofa and it does wonders to marks left by our cat... it is amazing stuff.

if you are going to re color - then use prepping agent and apply the color.

They are well worth the price, and the more time you take in preparation the better your leather will look and smell.

I use pristine clean in my daily drivers - and then top with rejuivnator oil... let it set, next day buff out, keeps the leather in great - soft condition... Highly recommend.

Lexol was ok, for modern leather, but did nothing on my old 308 leather... smelled nice... other than that... nothing.

24. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    So you use Cleaner first? The instructions are the opposite?

25. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Leatherique's Rejuvenator oil is overrated IMHO. I've used it with average results, no better than Lexol or other similar products. It has never "wowed" me the way many claim it does them.